Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The heater is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The heater is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I really got into it today and removed the heater and boy you talk about allot of little screws. I wish someone here could take some pictures to show how this operation fallows. I will take some when I start to put it together and point out the area's of concern if you never have taken one out. Jon

RE: The heater is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will have an extra heater! When I removed the heater core from the unit that holds it in place I noticed that the only place where the radiator was leaking was at a flange area. This is where the control vlv attaches to the heater core and it looks like it was leaking at this gasket area. So I took it apart and cleaned up both surfaces and replaced the rubber washer seal. Tomorrow I will take it down to a radiator shop and have it tested! If it is good then I might just put up for bid the brand new heater radiator that I just bought from J Bird. This one has controls on the outside and everything is new. Jon

PS. I think the radiator I removed is fairly new. Again the guy who cripped the wire and cause the problem with the lighting system probably did a number on this core also.

Comment

Here is a close picture of the vlv on the heater unit and I replaced the gasket with a new one. I'm going out to install it just temporary to make sure it doesn't leak. Notice the rust running down the side of the radiator. Jon

Comment

Well tested the old heater in the car and it works just fine and no leaks. I think I will hold on to the new one that I got, just in case this unit does decide to go north on me. Taking my time putting all that junk back underneath and so far so good. Jon

Comment

• frank58
          Super-Experienced
          • May 28 2006

Thanks for the pictures Jon (we all love to see pictures)
          It looks like your in pretty good shape, I would hang on to the new one as well, you never know.

Comment

Hey jon thanks for pics. The hearter core is next on mine cause it's getin cold here. That's after brake lights but i do use the car and with out defrosters your kinda out a luck. I think i have a couple new control valves but it's that little gasket that goes on these things. (alot of work for that thing) Good luck................Bill

Comment

Well just to let everyone know that I have the heater in place and the glove compartment is back on (What a pain in the rear to install right) But another pleasant surprise is that the glove compartment is a after market type and the more I get into this old car the more I see lots of newer stuff. So tomorrow I will complete the heater job and fix a blow fuse that I popped when playing around with glove compartment light. Oh well I know just where that fuse is at and no problemo.

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                Experienced
                • Dec 9 2014

hi i am currently figuring out on how to remove the heater core too...i read posts here about it, i`d like to know if i remove the heater core cover. ( those 4 or 5 ) small self tapping screws.. remove the cable from behind the lever panel (in the centre) then can I just remove the cover and start on detaching the parts from the heater core... ... i reallly think they disconnected mine bvecause it was leaking... if so i`d just buy a new one.. and have it in place .. coz its becoming cooler by the day here in Malta no zeros temperature.. but at 10 degrees here its freaaakin cold ..

Hope you can help me

Thanks in anticipationn

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, you need to remove the self tapping screws that hold the plenum in place and remove it along with the defroster duct. It helps if you remove the radio. Then remove the cable that connects to the heater valve. I think I also removed the cable that goes to the passenger side vent.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎