No announcement yet.

1960 352 Carb. EFA OBB F "Hesitation on Initial Accelo

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1960 352 Carb. EFA OBB F "Hesitation on Initial Accelo

I have a problem with hesitation, during initial accel from a stand still, to the point of the engine wanting to die if I do not remove pressure from the accel pedal and play with it until the car is under way (around 3-4 mph). The car has backfired before, maybe messing up the power valve.

I am getting various comments on the cause of the problem. The power valve kit or shield (maybe just protection against blowing the power valve). Maybe also a blown power valve (I have not checked to see if when the needles are turned in all the way, the engine still runs - indicating a bad power valve). Blocking the power valve permenantly, which I understand is not the thing to do. Also, maybe a dirty accel pump shooter or a shooter that is too small. I have replaced the accel pump.

I would like to fix the problem the easiest way if possible. Only if it comes to it, pull the carb and rebuild. I am always pressed for time. Anyway, is the carb a Holley? Or Ford? And what would the model number be so as to get a kit or shooter valve, etc?

The car runs fine after it gets going and starts OK. Obviously, I am not a carb guru. Bill
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 1960 352 Carb. EFA OBB F "Hesitation on Initial Ac

Either the accelerator pump diaphragm is bad or you need to adjust the rod to the accelerator pump to give the motor an bigger shot of gas so it does not stumble.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thunderchicken60
      Sounds like a Ford Carb.mine did the same thing.Instead of rebuilding it I just bought a new Holley for less than twice the cost of a rebuild.To my dismay it continued to hesitate to the point as you said I had to back off of it to keep it from stalling.
      A friend of mine suggested I put a couple of drops of motor oil into the padding of the middle post of the distributor.(under the rotor) I guess after a while the vacuum advance was sticking,it seems to have worked the car starts out fine now.It's a cheap fix if it works.Good Luck George

Comment

Interesting.
        I plan on spending some time on the problem tomorrow. I will first try to turn in jets in all the way to see if the engine dies or continues to run. I want to see if it is the power valve or not. Then I might try to remove the accelerator pump shooter to see if it is stopped up or maybe go try to get a larger size. Then maybe your idea. Then I don't know yet...

Comment

Hi ALL. My two cents. There is one more place to look for a hesation.were the vac. advance connects to the point plate gets a groove in it and will cause problems. I also put a 650 holly on my 60 and what a mistake. Many $$$$$$$$$$$ later I sent the right carb. to pony carb. It never ran this good. Were are those numbers from? That sounds like a an 80's carb. Later...........Bill

Comment

This problem remains a mystery. I tried turning the needles in all the way - the engine continued to run, but died after about 2 min. Not sure if that told me the power valve is good or not. I put a few drops of oil under the rotor in the distribitor to help the vac. advance. That did not help. I have the linkage adjusted so that the new vac. pump will supply the most fuel. That did not work. I can see some fuel come out of the shooter upon initial acceloration. Unlike a Holley carb, I cannot just simply remove the shooter valve with one screw so I did not check that.

I hate to rebuild the carb if it is something very simple that I do no understand. I just know that it is dangerous driving like this due to the great possibility of stalling in the middle of an intersection.

Comment

First off that should stall right away when you turn the screws in. and it doesn't sound like you have the right carb there. Number should start COAE-J or K and it's an autolight 4100 (no electric chokes, won't work on these). Good luck...............Bill

Comment

Under the Technical section of the Squarebird main page, there is a picture of the carb. tag from an original 1960 carb. My tag looks just like it except for two letters.
                The tag on the SB site is:
                Series: EFA, Type: OBC, Date: L
                My tag is:
                Series: EFA, Type: OBB, Date: F

Do you still think it is not the correct carb?

So, with both needles turned completely in, the engine should die imediately? Then I have a power valve problem? The carb has backfired a number of times, which I hear will cause the power vavle to blow out?

I am thinking that a carb rebuild is in my future....

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

Rebuilding these Autolite 4100 carbs is easy. It requires no special tools.

If you open up the top of the carburetor, you may be surprised to see how much much is in the bottom of those bowls.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

RE: 1960 352 Carb. EFA OBB F

Hi, hard to say,I'd have to see it but you definetly have carb. problems there. The #s I'm talking about are on the base of the carb right by the front driver side mounting stud. Above that is what looks like a clock face it should say 1:08 or1:12 the 112 being the rihgt one. The problem with the tag is it could have been changed by a rebuilder who was doing alot of them at one time. I think that thing is loaded with dirt and gummed up with old gas. O does the tag say autolite or motorcraft? Later........................Bill Sorry.. I see what you mean on this site . I didn't see that before. that's the tag on mine i don't know what the numbers are But I'll pull air cleaner tommorow. If you know a good lawnmower shop they might let you soak that carb. in their bucket of !@#$% but it works.....Later

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

Those five gallon drums of parts washing liquid are increasingly hard to get. A close friend of mine owns a service station in Queens. He could not buy it at any price for his parts washing machine. He was thrilled when I found a pail of the stuff at an upstate New York NAPA.

Even so the stuff they sell now does not work as well as the cleaners of 20 years ago. It is a trade off of clean parts versus the environment.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

I did forget to mention that on the driver's side of the carb, there is a molded in number. The only one that I see with the carb in place on the engine.

It is: A

I have rebuilt some carbs many years ago and a one barrell on my Hudson Metropolitan about 5 years ago and it is still running great, so most likely can go it. It is just that I like understanding how I am fixing something on top of just fixing it. It may be obvious once I look inside and see dirt or who knows what. My 1961 Lincoln with only 37K has this problem also, but much less.

So, I ask for a Autolite 4100 carb rebuild kit at the parts store?

Thanks

Comment

• Alexander
                          Webmaster
                          • Oct 30 2002

Yes. Besure to also ask for a secondary diaphrgm for your car. For some obscure reason it is not included in most kits. There are two styles of attaching the secondary diaphragm. Make sure to get the right one.

Alexander
                          1959 Hardtop
                          1960 Golde Top
                          Alexander
                          1959 Hard Top
                          1960 Golde Top
                          sigpic

Comment

I will have to decide if I want to do this before the Houston Auto Show (big new car show) at the end of Jan. because I have been invited to show my '60 Bird and '61 Lincoln in a small section of the show set aside for Antique Cars. This year they want to showcase T-birds and Lincolns and it seems that most folks have bullet birds or flair birds (I have a flair bird too, however). They want one of each body style. I only have weekends to work on it and at least it is running now. It might be a gamble after my carb rebuild. Anyway, I will get the kit as per your advice and see how aggressive I feel.
                            I should be able to complete the job in a weekend. This car is fast. Better power to weigh ratio than my 345 hp 428 in my '66. With the newly rebuilt trans, it gets with it when it goes into passing gear. With a rebuilt carb, it shoule fly. And later with headers, even more.

Comment

The rebuild kit from hygrade, not the tune up kit, Should come with a secondary diaphragm. Two of mine did. They come with plastic arms to replace the metal ones on the older models. Such as the 60. I have a 60 & 66 What rear is in your 66? My 60 feels stronger with the 310 verses 300 in the 66. That's ratio not HP.......Later Bill

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎