X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

$6,000,000 knees

Well, almost three weeks ago I had both of my knees replaced, not something to be taken lightly I discovered!

Now moping around the house and checking Squarebirds etc to keep from going insane - can't drive, can't get out to the garage to tinker with the T-bird, can't do squat...and at 60 I feel I'm too young for this.

Still, time will heal and I'm better of than a few on this forum.

Just a rant from down under.
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Hey Tom,
    You will be up and going strong in no time. A guy at our church, just a little younger than you, had the same proceeder done last year. He had one done than a few weeks later the other. He was doing great in no time. I know from experience you think you will never get well, but time will tell. This guy at our church now runs up the steps on Sunday to give announcements, before he could barely walk. Keep thinking positive
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

$6,000,000 knees

Hang in there, Tom! You will be healed soon and will be back in the garage tinkering with your beloved Tbird before ya know it! You will be the $6 Million Dollar Man!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Next door neighbor (60) had her's done 1 year apart and that was last year and the year before. She's back to mowing her 1/2 acre lot with her plain old (no self propel) push mower.

Of course - the Dr told her that's what wore her knees out in the first place - she said - well these D*** new things better not wear out as much as they cost.

Hope you're up and around on those bionic knees real quick and if you get to the states I'll race you with the Tbird......

Eric

Comment

• Yellowbird
          Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

I kept tellin' ya it was b**** to have them done. Just think, like your mate in the USA you can set off alarms in airports the world over!!!

Get better my friend!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

• bird 60
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 18 2009

Hi Tom, my brother had both of his done about 6 months ago 6 weeks apart. He'll be 69 this Saturday & he was Rocking & a Rolling about 3-4 months later. Hope things work out well for you.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Hey thanks guys - your support boosts my morale greatly!

I'm just not the most patient of patients if ya know what I mean.

Gimme a car problem and I've the patience of a Saint but when it comes to being 'anchored' and innactive and unable to get out to the garage etc I'm not so good!
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• fcar
                Apprentice
                • Nov 13 2010

Eat healthily, don't do what you were told not to do, get plenty of sleep and you'll do fine. One day soon you'll realize that you haven't even thought about your knees.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

$6,000,000 knees

I, Richard D. Hord, and others who have been down the road you are one, or a similar one, know what you are going through. Just know that it will get better and in a few months you will be doing great again! You got some good advice on diet, and sleep also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Ian M Greer
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 29 2010

Tom , been there done that for both knees . I found that I went through 9 to 10 weeks of little to no sleep and then all of a sudden I could sleep painless . Being a fellow car lover I never let this put me down and after over three years total between both knees ( each knee was was done seperate with 6 months in between ) I'm back up and mobile . The only thing with the new knees is buy a quality set of gel knee pads and even though getting down is a little slow there is no stopping me crawling around when I'm down there . I was determined my new knees would not stop my from returning to my car hobby and they don't and they won' t stop you either , best of luck with your recovery , regards Ian M Greer

Comment

• Yellowbird
                      Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Tom,
                      Ian makes a great point. Get the gel filled knee pads. Don't scimp on these. Buy good ones.
                      sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

My sister just had her second knee done Friday last. Our doctors won't do both at the same time. Each surgery is always different. It's not that they want you to agonize for longer (although the thought crossed my mind), but with one 'good' leg you can get around. Marge is 67 and a Mechanical Engineer at International (where Ford gets all our diesel engines) in Chicago for over 30 years.

Ten years ago, after she had the first knee replaced, the human knee started improving because the bionic knee took a lot of strain off the other one. Within no time (it seems), she was walking all around Henry Ford's Greenfield Village with us. After walking for miles she felt great. She had to be 57 back then.

So, wishing you a pain-free and speedy recovery. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎