X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by GeoffInCarlsbad
    Since I am now going to more modern equipment, we are going hot rodding! LOL! New Billet Distributor next on the list as well as new timing chain.

John, thanks for all of your advice and counsel. With that new Edelbrock 1406, my acceleration issue is gone. I am just now playing with the air/idle screws to find the best settings. now we're cooking with gas.

~g
    Glad to hear that the new carb is working out. Even though I've adjusted the mixture screws many times by feel I prefer to use a vacuum gauge to get it just right.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Woobie
      Experienced
      • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
      Glad to hear that the new carb is working out. Even though I've adjusted the mixture screws many times by feel I prefer to use a vacuum gauge to get it just right.

John

I was just logging in to post the same Jopizz.

Does he know about the cam button vs thrust plate for timing sets ?
      Austin

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
        Experienced
        • Jul 4 2015

A man's got to know his limitations

Ok, a man's got to know his limitations. New Edelbrock 1406 w/electric choke, under the new Edelbrock chrome 14" Air Cleaner Assembly, new Pertronix Distributor w/Ignitor II sparked by new chrome Flamethrower II Coil, freshly painted coil bracket to boot.

I spoke with Bob's Carbs in Oceanside, along with 2 other mechanic friends of mine, and they said "that autolite is 56 years old, and you may finally get it to run better, but you will never get it to run like new. Rip it out and throw on a new carb."

Sage advice. I have a consistent, safe acceleration curve, 18Hg vacuum, right on the money, running to a PCV on the Edelbrock 1406 (it has 3 vacuum ports: Ported, Manifold and PCV). No more carb spacer, everything as it should be.

Timed to 6 degress BTDC, per the manual, and it stays constant.

Starts up on first crank, even when cold. Went for a long shake down today.....wow....
        Attached Files
        Geoff In Carlsbad
        1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• sidewalkman
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 14 2015

I went from the stock autolite, to the stock replacement Holley, with the choke tube, turns out they're 465 CFM, might as well run a 2 bbl, then went to the Edelbrock, electric choke....world of difference, night and day. I am still woking on getting the linkage right but so much better
          Scott
          South Delta, BC, Canada
          1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
          Red Leather Interior!
          www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
          Thunderbird Registry #61266
          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢