X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'48 DIV Milk Truck & ''66 Chevy C10

You will be surprised when I tell you how I spent my afternoon! Several days ago, I got a phone call from a good friend in Hialeah, Florida. His name is Bill Barlow, who owns Barlow's Auto Service Company there. Bill and his wife, Alice were on the way from Florida to California.... In an overhauled, re-vamped green 1966 Chevy C10 pick up truck, with A/C.... towing on a tandem trailer, a 1948 DIV Milk Truck!!!! They left on Tuesday, and got here about 4pm this yesterday afternoon, causing quite a stir all along IH-10 from Florida to San Antonio! Every time they stopped, people would ask to take pictures of the truck and the milk truck, or talk with them about it.

This milk truck is one that Bill has owned for many years, having driven it 1,500 miles to Florida. Then overhauling it. They should make a movie of Bill's life! Bill has done many things in his life. He was, at one time, a stock car racer, who probably should not be on this earth still, considering some of the crashes he has had. He gave up stock car racing to building them, modifying them, modifying cars, trucks, you name it. For about 15 years or so, he was the guy the movie makers called to build, work on, maintain, or repair their cars for the movies, and he often provided the cars. He said he got tired of doing this because he and his crew would be hanging around for weeks or months with nothing to do, until they got to the crash scenes, or had to re-shoot them. Then it was a hectic time to get the cars fixed so they could re-shoot and wreck them again. He finally told them enough was enough, and turned that all over to his nephew in California to do. He has about 28 cars, Bill said.

Up until W. came in office, when the President of the US came to Florida, it was Bill they used as the driver because he knew the cities inside and out. He has a Presidential Chauffeurs license and drove a good number of our Presidents around town when they came in for meetings or to make speeches. He built the old truck that was used in the Beverly Hillbillys show on TV, and I have personally seen that truck. He used it for years in parades. He is very well known for his vehicles in parades in the Miami area. He also built the truck that was used in Ghost Busters movies. Then he restored the milk truck!

This milk truck has the "walking gear" in it! Many years ago, in the horse and buggy days, milk wagon horses were trained to "step" or "walk" to the next house and stop while the milkman was delivering milk to the doorstep of one house. He would go back to the wagon and it would be at the next house. He would check his order, grab his products, run up to that house, while the horse walked the wagon to the next house and stopped! When they started building milk trucks, someone got the idea of putting in a "walking gear!" The same thing happened. The truck "walked" to the next house and stopped, waiting for the milkman to catch up. Bill had driven this truck in many parades, walking besides it as it drives itself down the street, to the amazement of the crowd. They even have a big plastic cow in the back of the truck, a milk stool, and a milk container they use when the truck is on display. I saw the cow in the back of the milk truck when they were here.

There are a lot more things that he has done in his life, but he is really known for his car building, repairing, parades and showings. It is the restoration that he did on the 1959 Caddy for his wife Alice that got me looking for that '59 Tbird after I found out that a '59 Caddy would have three feet of tail fins sticking out my garage if I bought one. I did the power show for Alice that they use when they show the car, and that thrilled them. That car has won many trophies in shows now. When I was in Florida a number of years ago, I visited his shop, which is a standard or not so standard, auto repair shop. Not so standard because when you walked in, you saw the Beverly Hillbilly truck, Herby the VW, the Milk Truck, his own rat rod, and anything else special he might have been working on at the time.

His nephew convinced him to sell the Milk Truck. Bill told him that he would make him a package deal. The Milk Truck, the trailer and the '66 Chevy C10 all together. They made a deal, and Bill and Alice are driving it to California and will fly back. They are great people, a real pleasure to know, and he has more stories than you can shake a stick at about his life. The truck has been giving them a bit of trouble on the trip from Florida to here. Mainly, if he gets it up over 65mph, it starts heating up on him. After all, he is pulling a heavy duty quad wheel trailer, and a heavy milk truck! If he drops the speed down around 55-60mph, it cools down. He has a replacement thermostat, gaskets and tools with him to change it out if needed.

Now this has been happening mostly in the afternoons, when the temps between here and Florida have been over 100 degrees and then some. They drove longer into the afternoon and heat, wanting to get to my place on this leg and did, about 4pm yesterday. So what they have been doing is going to bed early, getting up around 5am, and get on the road early in the morning and drive until the early afternoon. Then find a place to rest for the night and start again. They wanted to make it in here yesterday, spend some time with me and hit the road again, leaving out of San Antonio before dark, but stop not far up the road for rest. You do not want to drive the Hill Country at night or you are liable to have a deer on your hood!

His nephew is going to meet them in Phoenix with a heavy duty flatbed wrecker truck. They will put the Milk Truck and maybe the trailer on it and just let the pickup truck putt-putt behind them with no load as they go over the mountains into California. So they were trying to get to Phoenix sometime over the weekend. At this pace, they should be there about noon tomorrow. They really don't have a schedule that they have to maintain. When I talked with them a few hours ago, they were out in west Texas, past Sonoma and trucking on. It is cooler and the truck was doing fine.

The appearance of the truck, trailer and milk truck in front of my house caused quite a stir amongst my neighbors! I took some good pictures and I will post them for you to enjoy. You are gonna love the pictures, and I bet, like me, wish I would have had the money to buy that milk truck! I don't know where I would store it, but that would be a blast to have fun with showing it off and in parades!While they were here, they got to look at and ride in Yellow Rose. Bill said that the paint job and interior work on her is fantastic. That is high praise from someone who has done a lot of this himself over so many years. I will also post some pix of a trick fire truck that a friend of his owns, and his Herbie the VW that they show off at times. I will probably have to post the pix in three sets.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

More pix for your viewing pleasure! Check the other post for the full information on this and more pix!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; July 29, 2011, 12:38 PM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'48 DIV Milk Truck & '66 Chevy C10

When I last talked with Bill awhile ago, he was in Arizona and holing up for the night. The '66 Chevy was trucking along okay, though at times, in the heat, was heating up a bit. He long ago figured out how to cool it down, by dropping the speed, and turning off the AC for a bit. He is two-thirds across on his trip. When his nephew gets there with the flatbed, he won't be pulling the milk truck (maybe the trailer) going through the mountains. They have had a good trip so far.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I just had a call from Bill, telling me about the last leg of his trip! Coming into Yuma to meet his nephew, he was going up a hill, following a tanker truck who had dropped down to about 10MPH. Since he could not pass, he dropped back and dropped down into a lower gear. When he did, he heard a clang, but made it over the hill or small mountain. As he was approaching their meeting place, a Cracker Barrel restaurant, he said all heck broke loose and there was all kinds of noise coming from his 66 Chevy C10! He saw his drive shift go out from underneath his truck in his rear view mirror, his trailer with the Milk Truck on it run over the drive shaft! Luckily, it did not damage the trailer or the Milk Truck. He came to a stop, got on the phone to his nephew and told him what had happened. His nephew was only a few minutes away from him.

They met, picked up the drive shaft, threw it on the back of this big drive on wrecker, dual cab, that his nephew owns, and drove back to the truck, trailer and Milk Truck. Checking the truck and trailer out, there appeared to be no damage to it or the trailer, other than the missing drive shaft. They loaded the Milk Tuck on the drive on wrecker, secured it, and then wenched the pick up truck onto the wrecker also, hooking the trailer onto the wrecker tow hitch. Apparently, this is one large drive on tow truck! His nephew uses it to haul cars back and forth to movie lots as they provide and fix cars that are being used in movies, like Bill used to do. Alice had stayed with the vehicle, so they picked her up and along with Bill's sister, and his nephews son, joined them in the wrecker cab and went to the Cracker Barrel to eat.

After that, it was over the mountains to San Diego without any further problems. Bill said he probably would have had a rough time doing that in his pickup. Those are some pretty tall mountains. When they got there and settled in, they took the truck to a repair shop to get the drive shaft fixed. Apparently, Bill said the couplings (if I have that right) that were put in the drive shaft new before he left, were not strong enough to handle the load he put on them when he down shifted to that low gear and one of them broke. Then, going up the next hill, they all broke. The mechanic put in harder, heavier duty couplings and the truck is fine now.

They took the Milk Truck, plastic cow, their milk man uniforms, and went to a car show in San Diego that had about 375 cars. He said he only saw ONE Tbird there and it was either a '59 or '60 Squarebird. The Milk Truck was a smash hit, as they were and the Milk Truck brought his nephew his very first 1st Place trophy with it. Then they went to a non-judged event I gather and had a great time showing it off again. Right now, he was sitting by the pool up on the side of a mountain, enjoying the view looking down over San Diego, and about to freeze, compared to the weather they have been through. I think he said it was 119 in Yuma when they were there. So the saga of the pickem up truck and the Milk Truck/trailer journey is complete. All they have to do is fly back home sometime later this month!
        Last edited by YellowRose; August 11, 2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

WOW!!

I'd call him one lucky dairy farmer for sure!! That could have been an entirely different story- It reminds me of the two destroyed '60 sunroofs (one in tow).

-Jon in TX.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

What a cute Milk truck!
            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰