Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demon62
    • May 10 2013

wops trans

well my car was at my buddies shop we were trying to find out why my a/c clutch won't turn on and while i ran to the house the car jumped into reverse and off it went he grabed the shift lever and threw it into park. now i have no park gear going to start seeing what damage i have in the tranny! i know my cars not the first to jump into reverse but has anyone lost park by trying to stop the car(insted of using the brake i know, but he got scared and was trying to stop the car) i am thinking the finger that slides into park broke off, i'll to wait and see.
  • BigPete
    • Apr 20 2012

First entry on the thread - detent plate....I think we've all been there!!!!

Comment

• demon62
      • May 10 2013

yes thats how i got to this site and joined the site, i guess i was wondering if anyone did what my buddy did(slamed the car in park) and lost park, and how their luck was. trans seams to run good. going to look inside later next week.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by demon62
        yes thats how i got to this site and joined the site, i guess i was wondering if anyone did what my buddy did(slamed the car in park) and lost park, and how their luck was. trans seams to run good. going to look inside later next week.
        But no leaving it running by itself in the meantime!
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by scumdog
          But no leaving it running by itself in the meantime!
          I couldn't agree more.
          Wolfgang over in Germany had a situation with his Bulletbird where it went into reverse while his mechanic was working on it. Check this out and click on the picture to see his thread:

Everyone involved with this one got REAL LUCKY. The garage door was already open, no people or pets were behind the car, and the repair was minimal.

Wolfgang paid someone to rebuild his trans. I think he paid two grand and the car was returned after being 'rebuilt'. Not only did the shop do NOTHING, they never opened the pan. This COM was broken and brazed at the cross beam. It would not go into Park. Read some of the posts. I felt real bad for Wolfgang because he had to go to court to recover his loss. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

wops trans

Whenever I park my Tbird, I pull the emergency brake on and it stays on until I am ready to drive. If I or my mechanic buddy is working on my Tbird, especially if the engine is running, the emergency brake is on and the wheels are blocked...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

You will first need to repair and adjust the shift linkage first and then determine if there is internal damage (parking pawl).

What he did to stop the car is better than it's hitting something and/or somebody.

FORD is famous for this defect.

Comment

• demon62
                • May 10 2013

all is good looked at this today nothing wrong with tranny. and i agree with you kultulz i am glad he did what he did and didn't get hurt. thanks everyone for your input!

Comment

• scumdog
                  Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by demon62
                  all is good looked at this today nothing wrong with tranny. and i agree with you kultulz i am glad he did what he did and didn't get hurt. thanks everyone for your input!
                  So where did 'Park' go??
                  A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• demon62
                    • May 10 2013

It’s weird when this happened my buddy cleaned his shorts, drove the car back on the rack put the car in the air, we started looking at the shift linkage thinking it was set wrong or something( this was before I found and joined the thread) we unhooked everything and put it in park from underneath and it wouldn’t stay in park. Then today hooked everything up put the car in park and it was fine??? I just thought the worse, but got lucky

Comment

• KULTULZ

What you experienced is a common malady with FORD.

-REFERRING URL HERE-

BTW
                      -

My Official Warning Label sent to me by FORD CORPORATE (1973 RANCHERO) is prominently displayed on my MAC top box lid...

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

I agree. I have a buddy in Florida who hyper-extended his driver's door on a '55 Customline. The car was in a two-post hoist and his door was open.

I think he could have been killed. I sent him two driver's door hinges and fixed his stainless moulding. It was a close call.
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎