12V to coil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by tbirds8

With a generator you won't get 12 volts at idle.
    I forgot that little factoid. But it should maintain BAT VOLT @ 12.6 VOLT.

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Wow !! I haven't posted here for awhile !!!

My gen puts out 13.2@ idle and spikes to mid 14's when you giv it gas then settles to 13.2-13.4

Never had issues (knock on wood)

What takes the juice is that pwr top.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Gold Bird

Generator for sure in my car. So, if I get ride of the resistor wire will I have a full 12volts at the coil?
        If it was my BIRD (oh how I wish), I would in no way want to cut into the harness as you or someone might want to perform a dedicated restoration at some point.

If the car runs good (and it should run much better than with points) I would not worry about it. If it really bothers you (and you are 100% certain the charging system is putting out per specs), I would put a relay in the system bypassing both the IGN SW and resistor and would be easy to remove and cover later.

I am very anal about original (or near original appearance- unless a custom) so my opinion(s) is somewhat limited.

Comment

• c4clewis
          Experienced
          • Aug 18 2010

There is a great site I found that talks about why you likely have less voltage at your coil. Check out http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...-threewire.com
          Essentially, there is a voltage drop through any length of wire, the longer the run of wire there is, the larger the voltage drop. There is actually an equation based on the length and gauge of the wire, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by KULTULZ
            If it was my BIRD (oh how I wish), I would in no way want to cut into the harness as you or someone might want to perform a dedicated restoration at some point.

If the car runs good (and it should run much better than with points) I would not worry about it. If it really bothers you (and you are 100% certain the charging system is putting out per specs), I would put a relay in the system bypassing both the IGN SW and resistor and would be easy to remove and cover later.

I am very anal about original (or near original appearance- unless a custom) so my opinion(s) is somewhat limited.
            Sorta what I did in my '66.

The original coil wire was a resistance one that dropped voltage to the coil, even with the Petronix I was getting plug-fouling in around town driving, stumble-stumble-stumble....

So I used that wire to 'trigger' a hidden relay which then gave full 12 volts to the coil (which I replaced with one designed for electronic ignition)

Now I rarely get any sign of fouling and a short run out on the open road cleans them out - didn't work before my modification.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

it'll run better with a full 12v to the coil (assuming you do not have points).

I can attest to this fact; from my tinkering this past summer (its a long story...)
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

12V to coil?

That link does not work because of the .com on the end. Here is the correct master link, with a lot more information on it, followed by the correct link cited below. Take a look at the subjects in the master link.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎