No announcement yet.

CO-level

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO-level

When I tested my bird at the motor vehicle testing station, they were not glad after measuring the CO-level in the exhaust gas (at idle). It was 8.7 %. The threshold value here is 5.5 %. I have to go back for a new test. Is there any easy way, besides turning in the idle mixture needles, to temporary bring down the CO-level? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: CO-level

Carbon Monoxide is produced more when combustion is incomplete. A leaner idle mixture should help. I would turn the idle mixture back up after the inspection as lean mixture burns hotter.

I use the Colortune Engine Analyzer Item No. - 46003 from http://www.eastwoodco.com/ to set the best idle mixture on my cars. You should be able to get it locally as it is made in England.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, let’s hope the leaner idle mixture is enough to go under the threshold value. The Colortune Engine Analyser seems to be good tool to set the correct idle mixture. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

The bird passed the inspection. By turning each mixture needle in ½ turn, the CO level decreased to 3,8 % :7

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Congratulations.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top