X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyinthermals
    Experienced
    • Apr 3 2013

Air Conditioner 62 Coupe

I have notice that the compressor (I think it's the compressor) for the air conditioner is slightly frosting up when I am driving around even though the air is not on. When I pop the hood it is perspiring and cold to the touch. Is something leaking or is this gremlin common to the these birds?
    sigpic1999.jpg
  • flyinthermals
    Experienced
    • Apr 3 2013

Air Conditioning Frosting Over

I'm closing in on the problem maybe. The solenoid that cycles the compressor may be faulty leaving the air conditioner on even when the heater is on. I don't hear it cycling on and off during driving. That could be do to the engine roaring. I'm not sure at this point. Does anyone else that has air notice the frosting and dripping from the compressor that I have been talking about?
    sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Ian M Greer
      Experienced
      • Jul 29 2010

Sounds like your thermostat might be faulty, keeping the clutch on the compressor energized . Now if you have your fan switch turned off the suction (return line ) the large one, will frost up to the compressor which is a sign that your slugging liquid . This is not a good situation and can damage your compressor internally . Pull the wire connection at the clutch until you can get a qualified a/c tech look at it . Ian (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH )

Comment

• flyinthermals
        Experienced
        • Apr 3 2013

Ac Freeze

Hi Ian,

Thanks, I will look into that. Neither of the lines are frosted up, only the compressor itself. I took out the metal console last night and cleaned it. I hooked back up the fan cable and adjusted it to make sure it slides all the way to the left (off) position. I will try the car tonight to see if the air is still staying on. Behind the console is a door that is open when the air is on and closed when you switch the controls to heat or defrost. I'm not sure if the a/c shuts off at that point. With the engine running its loud and I cant tell if the compressor is still turning. I WILL POP THE HOOD AND LOOK AT IT TONIGHT.
        sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• flyinthermals
          Experienced
          • Apr 3 2013

Air Conditioning Frosting Over

Thanks again Ian,

I will try to locate the wire going to the clutch. There were several black wires going into the back of the compressor. I will try to find a diagram showing the parts of the a/c so I can find the clutch and disconnect the right wire. Electrical is my weakest link. I will try locate a a/c expert for these cars in the Toronto area. I took the car out tonight for a short drive and put the heat on to see if this would help disengage the a/c but when I popped the hood the compressor was still cold and sweating.
          sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• flyinthermals
            Experienced
            • Apr 3 2013

A/C Issues

Is there anyone with a/c that could explain how the a/c unit functions normally and if they have observed sweating ect....

Thank you
            sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Ian M Greer
              Experienced
              • Jul 29 2010

Look for the wire coming directly off of the electromagnetic clutch directly behind the pulley of the compressor . Fallow that wire and you should find a plug in that if you separate will disengage the clutch stopping the compressor. Ian (Remember Not All Birds Fly South )

Comment

• flyinthermals
                Experienced
                • Apr 3 2013

a/c Frosting Up

Thank you for the info Ian. I read the servicing and testing of the a/c in chapter 10 of the manual. I will try to see what I can do mechanically, without opening up the pressure lines of course, before taking it to a a/c mechanic. I will try to test the thermostatic switch to see if that in fact is the culprit. Also the lever that activates the a/c has a fast idle switch adjustment screw.
                sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• flyinthermals
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 3 2013

A/C Issues

Hi All

After observing the A/C operating for approx 10 min, the clutch is not disengaging from the compressor: no clicking sound, and it doesn't stop turning. With the car off I can turn the clutch a little but it seems to be sticking. As soon as I turn the car on the air starts up right away. The lever in the car is at the off position but I wonder if it is not totally off. The cable may need adjustment. This still would not explain the clutch not coming in out. What component affects the clutch operation directly?Could it be the thermostatic switch, is it the charge of refrigerant, Is it the expansion valve?
                  sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• flyinthermals
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 3 2013

A/C Issues

The compressor in the car looks different from the picture in the manual. There is a cylinder like device, possible a solenoid with wires coming off it that sits on top of the compressor. I will post a picture and see if the previous owner had someone rebuild the unit and get creative. The slip ring and brushes are there and I observed some arching while I was testing a/c.
                    Last edited by flyinthermals; September 21, 2013, 04:57 AM.
                    sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• KULTULZ

If the clutch will not disengage, either it has continuous power or the clutch is defective.

Can you post a photo of the compressor and a close-up of the clutch asm?

Comment

• flyinthermals
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 3 2013

A/C Issues (Part Supplier)

Would anyone know of a place to purchase a thermostatic switch for a 62 tbird. I believe the part # is 19618a. I found one for 175.00. I wondering if that is what I should expect to pay.
                        sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• flyinthermals
                          Experienced
                          • Apr 3 2013

A/C Issues

What would be the simplest way to test the thermostatic switch? I have tried to look at it and there is no room to move where it is. Is there any way to test it in position or does it have to come off?
                          sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Ian M Greer
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 29 2010

If you have an Ohm meter , set it to resistance and attach it to the two terminals of the thermostat . If the thermostat is in the off position ( warmest setting -not calling for cooling) you should have no deflection of the needle . If you do have deflection then the thermostat is defective . If that checks out OK then lowly raise the setting of the thermostat by turning it in the colder direction . You should see needle deflection when you reach a point where the thermostat setting is colder than the surrounding air of the sensor bulb of the thermostat , at that point it should put 12volts to the compressor clutch . Ian(REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH )

Comment

• flyinthermals
                              Experienced
                              • Apr 3 2013

A/C Issues

Thank you Ian. I will try to test it from where it is.
                              sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎