Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 840 840 840
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

We hired Sue Gray from Grays Auto Glass to install the windshield this morning, she made it look easy.
    We had all the trim ready and had pre fitted the weather strip to the glass. We reworked all the chrome and stainless removing all the pits, dents and then did a lot of buffing.
    Charley

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Charley of course Sue Gray made it look easy. Repetition is a wonderful teacher! as you know. Looks great.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• 840 840 840
        Experienced
        • Dec 30 2008

The windshield install is the only thing we as a shop didn't do our selves besides chrome plating. I felt like it was better to allow someone that works with glass install every day do it rather then take a chance of breaking the glass. Sue and her husband Jim install equipment, camper, tractor, antique auto, and race car projects along with every day modern cars and trucks.
        Charley

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Charley good call. I have a buddy here in Calgary that is restoring a 56 Lincoln MKII II and when the shop tried to install the windshield yup cracked it Costly on the insurance premiums when they had to replace AND locate another one.
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• 840 840 840
            Experienced
            • Dec 30 2008

Restored grill and moldings also restored windshield wipers.
            Removed all the dents and scratches and polished every thing.
            Used all old parts from this car but did make all new grill clips.
            I know not very exciting! HA!
            Charley

Comment

• 840 840 840
              Experienced
              • Dec 30 2008

And if you need new wiper blades the part # from NAPA is 60-1233 at $8.99 ea.
              Charley

Comment

• 840 840 840
                Experienced
                • Dec 30 2008

Testing the water on this Fiesta Red.
                Top just set on car for a quick look.
                Started headliner on top.
                WOW! What a color.
                Charley

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Just some pictures of 56 project

Charley, IMHO I think that Fiesta Red really sets the car off. Sure beats a white top!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 840 840 840
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 30 2008

Does anyone know anything about the wood that goes around the base of the hardtop?
                    Charley

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

I think originally a tightly twisted sisal type of material was used which is unavailable now. I know some have fitted and epoxied in wood which works well and a tough rubbery plastic material is available. I seem to remember some one mentioning using material from GM (heaven forbid) convertibles.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Charley, I had the opportunity to talk with Lance Herrington of Thunderbirds Southwest, his website is: http://www.thunderbirdsouthwest.com/ in La Grange, Texas today. During our conversation, the subject about that "wood" around the base of the hardtop that you were asking about came up. Knowing that Lance and his crew have repaired and restored many Tbirds, including Babybirds, over the years, I asked him about this. He said that is not "wood" but looks like it. He said that is actually hemp. He also said if you will call him during the day tomorrow, he will tell you how to go about replacing/repairing it. His phone number is 979-249-4200.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• 840 840 840
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 30 2008

Thanks Guy's! I'll make the call. And thanks for taking the time to help me out.
                          I'll take a bunch of pictures and post them here on how we go about making the repair. The ones that where on the top when we got it where made out of plywood and where falling apart.

Charley

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Charley, I just talked with Lance and he said it sounds like some previous owner, not knowing what to use as a replacement, decided to use plywood. He can tell you what to use, and if you want to send him pix you can send them to his lance"at"thunderbirdsouthwest.com email address. Replace the "at" with the appropriate symbol. He is in the office now.

Comment

• 840 840 840
                              Experienced
                              • Dec 30 2008

Well got the chrome bumpers back from the plating company.
                              Sent them off to Quality Chrome in Dallas Texas and I have to say their work is perfect and Joe the man who runs the company is 100% professional on time and does what he say's.
                              I'd like to thank him a lot.
                              After unpacking which took awhile, very well packaged we where stunned with their beautiful no ripple, deep plating.
                              And as always, we had to push them a little further so we cleaned the backs real well scuffed them and shot pickup truck bed liner on them for ease of cleaning about 2 mils thick and smooth.
                              Sorry should have took pictures with all the bumper parts laid out and shinning.
                              Charley

Charley

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Nice looking, Charley! Was Lance able to help you with that material that goes under the hardtop? I hope so. I gather that he does have the information you need regarding that problem and has been waiting for you to call.
                                Last edited by YellowRose; June 24, 2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎