Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    • Aug 19 2014

352 still over heating

Can someone tell me why my 1960 Bird is overheating ?
    1 -- I've put a new radiator in
    2 -- I've put a new water pump in
    3 -- ive put a 6 blade fan
    4 -- I've put a new 80d thermostat

And still it over heats .I go for a10k drive come back home and the serge tank bubbles and the overflow fills up then bubbles over.
    Ive got half coolant half water
    THANKS ALL
    PHIL

352 still over heating

Phil is the timing a little to far advanced. Have core plugs been removed check. FE section. Of this forum. Could be build up crud in block just. Thought good luck. Jeff

Comment

• phil
      • Aug 19 2014

Thanks Jeff. sounds like a big job to remove and check core plugs i would have to take motor out hay? The timing is all good
      I think this sounds like a job for the mechanic
      PHIL

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

the serge tank bubbles and the overflow fills up then bubbles over.
        Can't tell from your description but this tank is only supposed to be approximately half full to allow for expansion. If you are trying to keep it full, it will act as you describe. The first thing to do is to see if it will seek its own level at about half or slightly less than half full after a couple of drives.

Coolant can be tested for gas and exhaust byproducts to confirm a blown head gasket as well.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I agree with Joe. If your expansion tank is overfilled it will eventually spill out. It's also possible you have air in your system after changing out the radiator. My suggestion is to make sure the coolant level is at the very bottom of the expansion tank with the engine cold. Then run the engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. If that doesn't fix your problem then I agree that it could be a blockage in the block. You can try removing the water pump and shooting a hose in both sides of the block to see if you get any rust and scale coming out.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by 63Tealbird
            Phil is the timing a little to far advanced. Have core plugs been removed check. FE section. Of this forum. Could be build up crud in block just. Thought good luck. Jeff
            If timing WAS the issue it would have to be retarded to create overheating, not advanced. A common mistake! (I learned the hard way, doh!)
            Last edited by scumdog; November 2, 2014, 01:00 PM.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

Years ago, when it was more common to flush cooling systems, radiator shops used to have a gun that would force a large amount of water through the block with air pressure behind it. This was after the thermostat was removed to get a lot of flow through the block to flush it. This would be easier than pulling the freeze plugs in the block.
              Also, you never mention what your temperature gauge is reading or what the actual temperature of the coolant is. With a 50/50 mix, you should be able to go to 223F with out boiling. Then with a 14 psi pressure cap, that should raise the boiling point to over 250F.
              As already stated, if you are filling the system when cold, it will definitely loose coolant when it gets got. The "expansion" tank is designed to handle the expanded liquid and contain it.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

I have no idea about the history of the 'scheduled maintenance' of this 55 yr-old engine.

Right from the start, if your coolant wasn't maintained with a good rust inhibitor, the head gaskets suffer. They are made of thin layers of carbon steel. Rust naturally happens if you simply use water or if coolant isn't changed.

When the water holes in the front of your head gaskets rust open, the rear cylinders get starved for coolant flow, then the coolant makes a beeline for the thermostat as it cooled nothing.

For this reason, I would not shoot water into the front of the block without removing the core plugs. In other words, do not force fifty PSI water pressure on the head gaskets. Open the core plugs and let the debris out those three holes on each side.

If you are apprehensive about opening your core plugs, let a mechanic do it.

Honestly, I would do a compression check on this engine. If the numbers are low, do a proper overhaul. That way, everything is done once, that will save you money and your engine will run another lifetime. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• phil
                  • Aug 19 2014

Thankyou all for your advice. Its good to know that out there in the world there is still some cool people around willing to give a bit of time to help others.
                  Would be nice to meet some fellow tbirders i will be heading to LA on the 10th DEC for 5 weeks with the wife
                  You can flick me an email if yu wana catch up
                  guerdy@y7mail.com

Comment

• scumdog
                    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by phil
                    Would be nice to meet some fellow tbirders i will be heading to LA on the 10th DEC for 5 weeks with the wife
                    You can flick me an email if yu wana catch up
                    guerdy@y7mail.com
                    I posted a similar comment in 2010 and now have a really true Thunderbird friend in the shape of 'Yellowbird' from City of Azle in Texas, a '58 Thunderbird owner!
                    Last edited by scumdog; November 4, 2014, 11:42 PM.
                    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Call Me?

I live in Arcadia, a suburb of L.A., just east of Pasadena. Call me at (626) 447-7130 while you're here. Maybe we could meet for a drink or you could get a look at my '59. Roger

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Phil that's the cool part of our worldwide members is meeting them face to face should you be in their area. Hopefully you connect.

My wife and I met Mr. Dare ( simplyconnected ) and his wife this summer on a road trip and it was great to put a face to the name
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                          Phil that's the cool part of our worldwide members is meeting them face to face should you be in their area. Hopefully you connect.

My wife and I met Mr. Dare ( simplyconnected ) and his wife this summer on a road trip and it was great to put a face to the name
                          Yeah, and I got a new nickname after they left; 'Gentle Giant'. It was a very short visit but Dano found out he's younger than he thought.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Penelope
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                            Yeah, and I got a new nickname after they left; 'Gentle Giant'. It was a very short visit but Dano found out he's younger than he thought.
                            One senses there may be two stories to be told there Dave ??
                            sigpicBill
                            Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Bill, I don't mean to hijack this thread but...
                              From the moment Marg (Dano's wife) stepped foot outside the car, Robin & I laughed so hard... we had a fabulous time. Marg's a firecracker, that one. Dano is well able for her as well. I don't know which was worse, the ache in my sides or the ache in my face that took me days to get over.

We packed as much fun as we could, into the few hours we had together. It even rained part of the time at night. Check out this youtube video I did from some of the pictures I took at dinner time... CLICK HERE

Unfortunately for us, they had to shove off early the next morning because Marg's Dad was admitted in hospital back home in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

That 28 hour trip would have taken a normal driver three days and four hours because it was 1,900 miles (3,058 km). Dano did it in jack time.

I sincerely hope we can get together again for a few days of fun and relaxation. I had a tour planned through Ford's Dearborn Truck Plant but there simply wasn't time. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎