Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbf777
    Experienced
    • Jan 9 2016

[QUOTE=sidewalkman] Long story short I am so under carbureted that it starves on the freeway.

On the freeway at what throttle angle?

Under normal cruise (65-75 M.P.H.) one generally has the throttle butterflies within the carburetor at a relatively low angle (relative to the wide open) therefore "throttling" the engine to reduce engine power output. So, unless you require wide-open-throttle (W.O.T.) to achieve or maintain these reasonable speeds you are "throttling" or shall we say reducing the capacity of the carburetor as witnessed by the engine.

Perhaps other tuning issues vs. too small of a carburetor?

Scott.

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by sidewalkman
      Hi John

The P.O. of my car used a 465 CFM carb as a replacement so they could keep the hot air tube choke feature. Long story short I am so under carbureted that it starves on the freeway.

You can detune a bigger carb, but the only thing you do when under carbed is replace it. Go big or go home!
      465cfm should give you good response off the line and would be fine for freeway cruising.
      It would only show its lack of size on a top end charge i.e. when going for top speed, it shouldn't 'starve' when cruising on the freeway.

And you might find it a bit of an issue getting an 850cfm 'detuned ' enough for happy all-round driving!
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎