X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidb1971
    • Jan 16 2017

Looking to buy please suggest

Hi,
    I would like to get some suggestion on this. I found 1961 Thunderbird for very cheap price under 5K which seems way too low for it, so I was wondering from tech side how much I could expect to spend on engine repairs if something will come up to make a full rebuild in near future. I havent seen a car yeat because its located in another state, so I dont want to spend too much time driving around without any professional opinion first.
    Thanks
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

David, if you can obtain some pix of that Tbird, please post them, using one of the methods I suggested to you in the Welcome I posted to you. Once we have some pix to look at, we can give you a better opinion. Luckily, we have some great peoples on here who know these old Tbirds very well. If you do decide to go look at it, before you do, go to the Technical Resource Library (the link to which is on my signature element and that of John's ~ jopizz) and go to the bottom of it. You will find a copy of the Vehicle Check List that our member put together to help anyone who is thinking about buying a Tbird. Print it out and take it with you. It can be a great help to you in running that check list against any Tbird (or other car, for that matter) to see how it stacks up against the list.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

390's are very easy to find parts for. Plus there are lots of upgrades available including aluminum heads and intake. As Ray suggested take the checklist along with you. There are trouble spots to look out for particularly the floors and inner and outer rocker panels. Also check the top of the shock towers as well as the battery tray and sheet metal. Pictures can hide a lot of poor repairs that can wind up costing more than the car is worth so it pays to do a thorough inspection. I wouldn't be so concerned with the mechanical condition unless the trans has a major leak or the engine is frozen or knocking. Most of the parts are pretty inexpensive. If the car hasn't been driven regularly you can count on doing a complete rebuild of the fuel and brake systems.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• davidb1971
        • Jan 16 2017

Originally posted by davidb1971
        Hi,
        I would like to get some suggestion on this. I found 1961 Thunderbird for very cheap price under 5K which seems way too low for it, so I was wondering from tech side how much I could expect to spend on engine repairs if something will come up to make a full rebuild in near future. I havent seen a car yeat because its located in another state, so I dont want to spend too much time driving around without any professional opinion first.
        Thanks
        Thank you for your opinions.
        I wasnt able to get those pics from seller site, it has some kind of protection. It doesnt sound like that would be unreal budget to rebuild it so I would probably drive there to take a look and maybe I will takes some photos and post here while I will be there.

Comment

• davidb1971
          • Jan 16 2017

Hi everyone,
          So i finally made to see that car and was very disappointed, its completely different from what was on the picture , only the color is the same =/ So I will keep looking and let you know if I will find anything else

Originally posted by YellowRose
          David, if you can obtain some pix of that Tbird, please post them, using one of the methods I suggested to you in the Welcome I posted to you. Once we have some pix to look at, we can give you a better opinion. Luckily, we have some great peoples on here who know these old Tbirds very well. If you do decide to go look at it, before you do, go to the Technical Resource Library (the link to which is on my signature element and that of John's ~ jopizz) and go to the bottom of it. You will find a copy of the Vehicle Check List that our member put together to help anyone who is thinking about buying a Tbird. Print it out and take it with you. It can be a great help to you in running that check list against any Tbird (or other car, for that matter) to see how it stacks up against the list.
          Last edited by davidb1971; January 18, 2017, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• H-D Toys
            • Mar 2 2017

That check list should be made a sticky. It is tremendously useful. Bravo to the author.
            Registry # 64355

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi James, I am glad you found that Vehicle Check List. It is something that we always tell our people who do not yet own Tbirds to check out, print it out and take it with them when they are considering buying a Tbird. I did not tell you that because I thought you already owned a Tbird. Had I known that you were still in the buying process I would have told you about it. Good luck in getting your Tbird!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎