X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Cigarette Lighter Voltmeter

After reading about these on the site, I decided to buy one. 2 of my friends also wanted one, so I ordered 3 on Ebay for $2.50 each. I first tested it in my VW and it worked fine. Then I put in the TBird and couldn't get it to read anything. The large chrome bezel, around the cig lighter socket, is so thick that it did not allow the bottom pin in the voltmeter to contact the the + part of the lighter. After looking at it for a while, I decided to drill the bottom pin and slip in a 1/2" by 1/8" pop rivet. Stuck it back in the cig lighter and it works like a champ. It's nice to see what you charging system is actually doing. The cig lighter is wired to battery + so it will stay on all the time. Don't really think it would pull much power out of the battery, but I just pull it back a little in the socket and it goes out. Just thought I'd pass this along.
    Nyles
    Attached Files
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Thanks for the post and glad to know you're happy with the meter, Nyles. I hope everyone jumps on this little gem. It is super cheap and super accurate. I don't know how the Chinese make them so cheap and ship them for free.

I made a couple for myself and one for JohnG but I couldn't possibly make and sell them for $2.50.

The ones I made draw .02-amps when plugged in. Putting this in perspective, one #44 dash bulb draws ten times more power. So, these meters can be left on for months with no danger of draining the battery.

I see your first picture was taken with the engine off and the meter correctly reports 12-volts. The second picture shows the system is charging at 13.5-volts, which is very healthy and correct.

In my opinion, the volt meter tells more than an ammeter because it reports the state of the battery in real time. At a glance, before you put the key in the igintion, you instantly know exactly how much charge your battery has. After the engine is started, you can see the volts climb as the battery charges (or not).

Keep an extra in your tool box for troubleshooting your daily drivers. Did you ever run the radio while detailing the car and wonder if you ran the battery down too far to start? This meter is accurate and it will tell you. When voltage gets down to about 10.5 volts, it's time to start the car and let it charge back up. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

I have one also and think they are great! You know exactly how many volts you are making at a glance, unlike conventional gauges where you are taking a guess because the pointer is somewhere between a few spreed out numbers. Mine has a usb port also, a little more money but makes it multi-functional also.
      Just a great addition for so little money

Comment

I also bought two for me and three for my buddies. They are in transit from China. The pop rivet is a grate idea, will see if it will be neded when the ones I ordered get here.

Larry

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

I was really happy with the way it worked out. A 1/2" long X 1/8" pop rivet fit right in and the spring inside of the unit holds it tight. Quick and easy work around.
          Nyles

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

I'll have to get one - we run 4 pre '85 cars so it's always a handy thing when the battery shows signs of not up to the task
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Cigarette Lighter Voltmeter

I found a version with the USB connector on it to charge your phone, on eBay for $4.83 Buy It Now price with free shipping from China. You get to chose a red, green or blue display color. Here is the link to it. It will take a few weeks to get it though with free shipping. There are many of them like this for sale, but this is the cheapest one. There was one for $2+, but it was out of stock. Normally, I would not post an eBay listing here, but since we have a thread going about this subject here I will.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2IN1-USB-Car...item5d4aaa54c0

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• fcar
                Apprentice
                • Nov 13 2010

Thank you!

Comment

• Tbird1044
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 31 2012

Mine came out of China and I had it within a week of ordering. Just info.
                  Nyles

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                    Experienced
                    • May 28 2012

I got 1 of these today I think the readings might be off, with key out 13.2 car started 14.1 ( It gives me the same range in the Mustang 13.4 - 14.6) driving @ 30 mph it read 17.9 then while idling at the light 13.4, then back in garage with key off 13.7 but bouncing up and down. Is it telling me anything?
                    Yellow98Cobra
                    1960 Thunderbird HT
                    Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                    There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                    http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by yellow98cobra
                      I got 1 of these today I think the readings might be off, with key out 13.2 car started 14.1 ( It gives me the same range in the Mustang 13.4 - 14.6) driving @ 30 mph it read 17.9 then while idling at the light 13.4, then back in garage with key off 13.7 but bouncing up and down. Is it telling me anything?
                      If it reads 13.2 when it's not started either the gauge is off or it's not seating correctly. I guess you only get what you pay for. Sometimes less. Try hooking it directly to the battery with some alligator clips.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Plug the meter in after the car was sitting over night. Don't start the engine until you see the numbers.

It takes time for a battery to settle down after being charged.
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

You got me curious, so I just went out in the garage and checked battery voltage with ciggy voltmeter and a fluke digital VOM. I was getting 13.2v with the fluke and 13.0v with the ciggy voltmeter. Not to bad considering the cost. I keep a trickle charge on the battery so that is why it is a little high.
                          Nyles

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                            Experienced
                            • May 28 2012

Ok I plugged it in this morning and it read 11.8 after get her warmed up and just sitting there idleing it settled out at 14.5. It has now been plugged in for the last six hours and it now is reading 12.8
                            Yellow98Cobra
                            1960 Thunderbird HT
                            Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                            There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                            http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

I have one of the more expensive ones, but even it will freeze on a number after sitting for a while and pulling it out and re-inserting it gets things back on tract. Must be a pretty normal thing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎