X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Re-attaching Wiper Knob

Hello! I am a first time Thunderbird owner and so happy to have found this wonderful forum. The knowledge here is sure to be very helpful. I have an Indian Turquoise 1959 hardtop. My name is Kirsten.

I've checked the site but couldn't find an answer to this next question.

Instead of twisting the wiper knob/switch, I pulled on it and the knob came off. Does anyone know how to get this back on? When I try to push it back it doesn't really connect with the metal shaft in a functional way. It just hangs there loosely and doesn't catch when I twist.

Any help appreciated!
  • OUR5T8BIRD
    Experienced
    • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by ssj335
    Hello! I am a first time Thunderbird owner and so happy to have found this wonderful forum. The knowledge here is sure to be very helpful. I have an Indian Turquoise 1959 hardtop. My name is Kirsten.

I've checked the site but couldn't find an answer to this next question.

Instead of twisting the wiper knob/switch, I pulled on it and the knob came off. Does anyone know how to get this back on? When I try to push it back it doesn't really connect with the metal shaft in a functional way. It just hangs there loosely and doesn't catch when I twist.

Any help appreciated!
    If memory serves me correct, there should be a small allen screw towards the end of the knob and a flat spot on the shaft .

Welcome to the site btw.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Re-attaching Wiper Knob

Hi Kirsten, and welcome to the Squarebirds Forum! You own the very '59 Tbird in Indian Turquoise that I was looking for back in 2007 when I was searching for one in that color. Unfortunately, I found one to late, after I had already bought Rose...

Like Martin, I also recall that if you unscrew that screw in the knob slightly with an Allen wrench, and turn the knob so it slides onto the flat part of the shaft, then tighten the Allen screw you should be set. However... do NOT push the knob snuggly against the instrument panel, as I recall, as that will cause problems with the wiper switch working properly.

If you would like to post pix of your beautiful '59 Tbird, you can do as suggested in the New Members Welcoming post to you. If you decide to ask one of us to post them for you, I will be glad to do so. Just send them to me and I will do any downsizing of picture size required and post them in the Our Rides Forum for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ssj335
        Experienced
        • Jul 13 2018

Thanks for the advice! I didn't even notice the screw in the knob. I was surprised how easily it pulled away from the dash.

I will give it a try and see how it goes!

I'll send you photos too! What email address?

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Re-attaching Wiper Knob

Use the email in my signature element or

yellowrose@squarebirds.org.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• p38fighter
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 14 2016

wiper knob picture

59 convertible

Here's your wiper knob attaching screw.
            Attached Files

Comment

• ssj335
              Experienced
              • Jul 13 2018

Thanks!! I'm going to see if I can finagle this back on with Alan key.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

As posted many years ago on here...

"I am sure i posted something like, dont put the old white knob on the wiper shaft, snug up to the chrome bezel or you will not be able to turn it. You see its a two speed setting , as you turn the knob to the right the shaft needs to go in then out, like on a groove. So if you put the white knob too far close to the chrome dash bezel the knob will not turn/move." Kev...

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

I was able to successfully put back on thanks for the help! The advice to not sit the knob flush was very key! Wouldn't have been ok without knowing.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎