• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jldevlin
    Apprentice
    • Apr 11 2009

Intake Manifold hose to water pump

Hi people,

My bird had a 352 out of a 61 galaxy with a 2V, I am in the middle of replacing the intake with one out of a 59 tbird, everything looks good but something is different, the little pain in the butt hose from the manifold to the water pump, I see that the manifold on the 59 has a thicker connector pipe with a temp sensor in it, the outlet connector pipe from the water pump is smaller in circumference, do any of you know if there is a water hose connector with the two sizes, It looks to be one that acts like a water pipe with a reducer, or is this get a water hose big enough for the manifold inlet and squeeze it tight around the smaller outlet from the water pump
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

I'll have to look @ mine. Are you talking about the bypass hose?
    A 2bbl int is different huh?

Comment

• jldevlin
      Apprentice
      • Apr 11 2009

bypass hose

Yes the little 2 inch piece from water pump to intake manifold, really surprised me to see the manifold tube have the temp sensor as well, it looks to be about 7/8 on the intake end and 1/2 on the water pump end

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

John, I checked the parts books. 1958 thru 1964 352 Thunderbird water pumps use Part No. B9AZ 8501-A.

1961 352 Ford's used Part No. C4AZ 8501-B

One difference in the '61 is the addition of a tapped generator hole. The parts book doesn't go into any more detail. But... if I look at the tube's part number (because you can replace them) it lists two different tubes.

Let's examine this... The bottom one is a straight 5/8" for water pump Part No. B9AZ 8501-A. (both Ford and T-bird 252's from '58 on). But the top number is that one with the step and it's used in the other water pumps (just for '58 thru '59 352's). If you want the straight 5/8" tube, take the stepped one out, and press in the straight tube.
        Attached Files
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

The solution for this is to put a short piece of 5/8" hose over the water pump nipple and then a 2" piece of 7/8" hose over the intake tube and the 5/8" hose. I have some 7/8" hose just for that purpose.
          Carl

Comment

• jldevlin
            Apprentice
            • Apr 11 2009

Thank you both

I am glad to hear that i was not crazy and someone just made up a part to go into the manifold, I will have to keep the setup as the temp sensor is on that bigger (7/8) tube, i was thinking of doing exactly what partsetal suggests, I appreciate the feedback, will be nice to get a 4V back in this

Comment

• KULTULZ

FASCINATING SUBJECT!

I came across this thread while on SEARCH MODE looking for a long ago post where one reader found an early solid lifter FORD 352 in his 58 BIRD. I cannot find it so if anyone can help me, I am again researching early FE as I seemed to have not saved all of the information I (we) came across earlier.

Dave, is it possible for you to post to this thread from the 49/59 MPC Basic PN 8597 as you did 8555 above?

There was a special by-pass hose released for this application (58/59) but I have lost the info.

I will explain further if you can post the reference.

THANX!

Last edited by simplyconnected; December 20, 2012, 02:30 PM. Reason: Req. for info. - Dave

Comment

• KULTULZ

Forgot about this thread-

Look @ detail PN B7TZ 8597-C.

This setup was also continued into the 1960 model year and possibly into 1961.

Is there anyone here with a 61 or 62 BIRD that can confirm if theirs is either with or without?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by jldevlin POST# 1

My bird had a 352 out of a 61 galaxy with a 2V, I am in the middle of replacing the intake with one out of a 59 tbird, everything looks good but something is different, the little pain in the butt hose from the manifold to the water pump, I see that the manifold on the 59 has a thicker connector pipe with a temp sensor in it
                  This may answer my question. An early Service Replacement Manifold (C1AE 9424-B) listed in the 49/59 MPC and 60/64 MPC for the earlier 58/60 352 4V includes a B7TZ 8597-C hose. This hose must be included for earlier model year retrofit and not a direct service part for 1961.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Fyi

Originally posted by KULTULZ

Forgot about this thread-

Look @ detail PN B7TZ 8597-C.

This setup was also continued into the 1960 model year and possibly into 1961.

Is there anyone here with a 61 or 62 BIRD that can confirm if theirs is either with or without?
                    CORRECTION-

I have come across additional information since this post and have found the 10911 adapter was not continued into the 1960 (or 1961 model run). The service replacement intake manifold for the 1958-1961 332/352 4V is CIAE 9424-B (1961 and prior years service replacement part) which has the temp sensor mounting in the intake deleting the need for adapter 10911.

There were many redesigns of the FE beginning in the 1961 model run. This retrofit (1961 intake) negated the earlier by-pass puzzle.

Of course, a dedicated 58/59 resto would include the 58/59 design.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎