No announcement yet.

Front end replacement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end replacement

In the next few weeks I will be rebuilding the front end on my 58.........including universal joints and shocks. Does anyone have any advice or tips before I dig in and get covered in grease?? My Upper balljoints are riveted in (original?).
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Front end replacement

If your ball joints are riveted in, they are original. All the front suspension components except the arms are available as replacement.

One of the difficulties of doing this job is that the front springs are heavy due to the weight they need to support. You need strong spring compressors to hold them. This can be a dangerous job, as inadequate spring compressors can break.

You may want a service station to do the removal of the arms, since it is a hard and risky job without adequate tools and experience. If they are nice enough, they can do the job on a Friday or Saturday, allowing you a day or two to clean off the A-arms (contol arms) and paint them with semigloss chassis paint. I recommend the Eastwood product. You want to take out the control arm bushing prior to painting the arms.

The shop manual shows how the control arms and suspension components are removed.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Keep your shocks bolted in when you unscrew the nuts on your ball joints. It will keep you from eating a spring.

Barry

Comment

EEEEEK ! Ive heard stories ! Thanks for the reminder !

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎