No announcement yet.

Carburetor Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor Question

Hello, guy working on my 59 Convert says the car runs 'sluggish' with the original carb on there. We replaced the original 352 with a 390. Should i get a new Carb? If so what do you reccomend? Or should I buy a kit and soak this original and replace?
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

My new engine is quite different for the old as well - much less get up and go (but a whole lot less smoke too - ). Since my new engine has PCV etc I believe mine is all just adjustment. I moved my carb over but used the new engines intake. Haven't had time to fool with it - getting decent gas mileage so just enjying it - may work on it this winter.

Depending on when the carb was rebuilt last - maybe yours just needs a good adjustment so that the secondaries and kick down happen at the right times?

Are you using the same intake and carb spacers?

John and Dave will have some good thoughts on the subject I'm sure......

Eric

Comment

Yes

all original carb we put on the 390.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you are going to replace the carb I recommend an Edelbrock 1406. Very easy to install with just minor adjustments. I've had numerous issues with the original Ford carbs recently, even after rebuilding them. I chalk some of it up to the Ethanol in the gas. Also make sure your vacuum advance is working. That will cause it to be sluggish.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks

Guy says he has one on there now that is his and it runs much better however he says he believes them to be unreliable as he has purcahsed 5 from O'reiley autoparts that have been duds. Have you had this problem with the 1406?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I haven't had any problems with the Edelbrock 1406 carburetors that I've had. Same with the Carter AFB which is the same carburetor. They are a very simple design so I'm not sure what can go wrong with them.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

ok

Thanks, I'll try it!

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

The factory carb is an Autolite 4100. It's better than any after market, IMO. These were built in many throttle bore sizes and configurations, so yours probably has a smaller bore size than the bigger 390 needs.

Here's a picture of the symbol on mine that stats the bore size as 1.12" (for my '64 390). Check and see what yours is. It's on the passenger side, behind the choke.

Lots of guys replace these with after markets, so good old cores are readily available.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by T-Bird Lover
                  Guy says he has one on there now that is his and it runs much better however he says he believes them to be unreliable as he has purcahsed 5 from O'reiley autoparts that have been duds. Have you had this problem with the 1406?
                  I doubt that all five were duds. Carburetors have to be tuned to the car, and this requires at least partial disassembly to be done correctly. You can't expect to bolt one on out of the box and have it run perfectly.
                  Last edited by Yadkin; June 17, 2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎