• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Robot
    The Source
    • Jan 29 2007

Iraq could become next major car market

Filed under: Car Buying, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GM, Volkswagen, Middle East

While China is still the big dog when it comes to growth markets for automakers, Iraq looks to be heating up. As the country slowly stabilizes, the country's 30 million citizens find themselves with a growing income and a need for more reliable transportation.

But, according to Automotive News, the biggest factor in the resurgence of Iraqi car-buying is a decrease in violence by insurgents. Last year only (?!) about 1,500 Iraqis were killed by roadside bombs, snipers or other violence. That's compared to more than 34,000 in 2006. As you might imagine, safer streets lead to much greater satisfaction derived from Sunday drives.

Ready to cash in on the auto-buying-boom are Volkswagen, Ford and GM. All three see huge potential in a country still driving thousands of VW Passats procured via an oil trade with Brazil in the 1980s.

Apparently, one popular car in Iraq is the Dodge Charger - nicknamed "Obama" by Iraqis. Then again, the LA Times said last year that the Chrysler 300 was known as "the Obama," so maybe the term goes for any large American sedan.Iraq could become next major car market originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  • Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

Well, gotta put My Take On It...

First I doubt that the 1,500 is accurate. I believe it is much more. While I was there we used two Networks. One is the Low side which is basically regular internet. The High side was more of a tactical network. On that side there were tally's of statistics of both our troops and Iraqis. Deaths, injuries, attacks etc were listed on that side. There was a section that was a translation of several Iraqi newspapers and other news media. Most of that does not make it in to the general news that we read here. We get some of the "sensational" news but it was amazing to see things on a daily basis.

Here is an article from a site that reveals some of the daily goings on in that part of the world.
    At least 50 people killed and scores hurt as bombings hit several cities days before Baghdad hosts Arab League summit.

I don't look at it much anymore but it used to be Daily Fare along with local Iraqi news.

Iraq is now Shia controlled by al-Maliki (same "flavor" of Islam as Iran/Syria). Saddam was Sunni (same as Saudi Arabia and the Taliban/President Hamid Karzai in Afghanistan). They are the other main faction in Iraq.

They are sworn to destroy each other "unless" they band together for a time to kill Infidels - anyone other than Muslims.

There are more specifics but for that general reason I don't see any peace in Iraq anytime soon. Or, the rest of that part of the world for that matter.

The latest "innovation" are "sticky" or magnetic car bombs that can be affixed to a car by a passing motorcycle in traffic or by a pedestrian as they pass by the parked car. LOTS of that going on that does not reach mainstream media.

So, with the hatred of all things that are not of Arabic design (which is nothing), any modern cars that would be outside of a protected convoy would be a prime target. I don't believe the man on the street is ready to take that chance.

Perhaps and one can hope for the best for the people there but it is doubtful as the Sunni and Shia conflict has been going on since right after the successor to Muhammad was chosen. That conflict will never end.

That's My Take On It...
    Last edited by Jimz Bird; March 21, 2012, 11:51 AM.
    Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎