Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eschober
    • Sep 4 2010

headliner replacement

Does anyone know the correct siz/type of staples used when replacing the headliner on a 1960?
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

headliner replacement

Hi Ewald,

If you use the search engine and search for headliner staples or maybe it was "headliner staples" you should find this lists of threads on the subjecting of replacing and installing a headliner. Including information about staples. Those used by Ford back then do not seem to be available any longer. Alexander said he used regular 3/16" staples for a staple gun. Look through the other threads listed also. They may be some help to you.

Last edited by YellowRose; October 23, 2011, 01:02 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I installed my headliner myself. I used a poly fabric between the roof and headliner for added heat and sound blockage since I couldn't find more of the "stuff" Ford used - mine was in good shape just wanted a little more insulation. The poly fabric weighed next to nothing so didn't think it would make it sag and so far so good. (4-5 years?) The paper tack strips were still in good shape on mine so didn't have to replace them. I tried 4-5 different electric staplers and 4-5 different size staples but never could get them to work. Even went to a hardware store and bought the biggest baddest electric stapler they had - no luck.

Went by a trim shop that a friend recommended and he laughed at trying to use an electric stapler. He let me borrow his air stapler and it went very easily. He gave me his box of staples too but I don't remember what size they were other than they fit his gun. Only advice I can give is to cut the initial hole for the light very small if it is not already cut out - almost cut mine too big the first shot because of shrinkage when steaming the wrinkles out. The headliner shrank more toward the front so the hole "moved" to the front of the car.

I ordered a headliner from one of the parts houses and it was waaaay off in color. Very white compared to mine and there was no difference in color in mine between the exposed parts and the parts hidden from sunlight for 40 years behind the chrome trim. Took the original to an upholstery shop and had them match the color and grain. Came out great and was only $25 more than the one I ordered.

Eric
      registry 5347
      Last edited by DKheld; October 13, 2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• lake bird
        • Jan 8 2013

new headliner sags in the middle 60 tbird

tried a heat gun didn't get aggressive no change in sag between two middle rib wires....what kind of stream gun should I use, does the headliner respond to the steam better than a heat gun ?
        Lakebird/Rockwall,Tx

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

A heat gun or steam will only remove small wrinkles. If you have a sag that means that you need to pull the headliner tight and restaple at either the front, back or sides.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

I bought a cheap air-powered staple gun at Harbor Freight to install mine. They have a variety of stable sizes- choose the one that fits the material that you are stapling to.

My 64 had carboard strips that were deteriorate. I found a hard rubber product about the same cross section and replaced all of it.

Comment

• c4clewis
              Experienced
              • Aug 18 2010

Be careful and don't get it too tight before you put in the trim. The trim takes up more slack than you might think and if the headliner is stapled too tightly the windshield center trim "may" cause it to tear...so I've heard...from a friend.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎