Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Eric S
      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Hello

I removed the passengers lock cylinder on my 60. Square Ignition and drivers door key slides in and turns 1 or 2° and then locks. Wondering if it's the right cylinder for the key or if something is worn out. What shall I check first?
      I soaked it in penetrating oil already.
      Thank for your help.
      Last edited by Eric S; December 30, 2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Eric S
        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Well I managed to open the cylinder.
        Removed the springs, the small studs, 1st Raw, even lengths and then the 2nd raw, uneven lengths studs.
        So there is nothing left in there. But the key still do not turn the cylinder.
        Day's question, how do we remoive the inner cylinder?
        And anybody has left over springs?
        First try, the cover went out smoothly and slowly. Put it back. Tried again later after other checks and this time it popped out with the springs : 1 is MIA.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Eric sorry to hear that a spring is MIA. Sounds like you should contact Carl Heller partsetal on our site to see if hehas some lock assemblies with keys. Carl has been a member a long time and sells parts for our TBirds. good luck.

Carl if you see this thread perhaps you can let Eric know if you have any?
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Eric S
            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Thank you Dan
            Well after a while I decided to use a flat screwdriver in place of the key af I do not dare to force on the key and with more force I could dare to put on the key (but not a lot) I managed to have the cylinder to work. After 50 operations back and forth, the cylinder is now working within my specs. I guess something bent in there, maybe a small metal chips get stuck between the cylinder and the body. Who knows. I will know what to check next time and then I will pop the cylinder out of the body and see inside but for now I did not wanted to get involved in removing it as it seems to require removing/breaking small dents made to hold a clip and I was afraid I may not be able to dent that again correctly...
            I put everything back together except the middle pins (to allow for the missing spring) so the lock now uses 4 pins instead of 5. Not big deal.
            If I can get the spring back within 48 hrs I will put those back in place; Otherwise it will be a lightened version of the lock.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If the lock is not turning it can only be that there's still a pin left in one of the cylinders or there's corrosion keeping it from turning. If you are missing a spring you can always leave that cylinder empty. I've had locks where I only had three or four cylinders filled with pins. Breaking into those cars is so easy the locks are basically useless. I've tried taking them completely apart and haven't had any luck without ruining it. The other option is getting another lock cylinder, removing the pins and reinstalling them to match your old cylinder. They are readily available both new and used.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• partsetal
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 4 2005

With all the tumblers out you can use ANY key that will slide in to operate the lock. You can also use a screwdriver to do the same thing. I've seen several Squarebirds that have had the tumblers 'dumped' which solves the missing key problem. I've got many parts for these locks as part of my locksmithing experiments.
                Carl

Comment

• Eric S
                  Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

John
                  I removed ALL the pins and it was still locked.I don't feel it as corrosion but more about a stuck debris or a scratch/seize.
                  I also thought about getting another cylinder to use my pins but it works now with an empty space. Your comment about ruining them trying to take them apart confort me in my decision not to go any further in the disassembly...

Carl
                  Problem was that the cylinder was not turning with NO tumblers. I also realised that you can make this cylinder an ANY Key/screwdriver unit...

Comment

• Eric S
                    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Windows adjusted, lock cylinder installed, door Cover installed. All is fine but I can confirm it's much more easy to install the cylinder lock without the panel on !

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

Yeah, I don't like removing door panels on old cars because the vinyl is brittle. The other reasons for not messing with door panels are rusty clips, brittle backing board, brittle door lock button rings, and general wear and tear on the old panel. But I figured the lock cylinder is easier with the panel off. BTW, I'd love to replace my door panels, but the first thing these would need would be painting the white vinyl gray to match a code 76. These should be sold color right for $700.00.

When thieves attempted (kill switch) to steal my 1971 Z28 on 3 separate occasions, they pried the lock cylinders off the driver or passenger doors to gain entry. Here's a tip: never assume they leave your lock cylinder behind. It could be from another car. I'm certain the door panel came off that Chevy to get the cylinder back in as well as repair the door sheet metal.

Dean
                      Last edited by Deanj; January 2, 2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Eric S
                        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Dean
                        On mine the Vinyl was not so old, the clips broke but I got a bag of new ones so I replaced some and in the meantime I treated some rusty spots, cleaned the whole thing, ...

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎