X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

Keys & Key Codes

I'm at the point in my 60 Restoration where I install the door locks. To begin with I have 3 keys that look similar, one for right door, one for the left door and one for the ignition. When new there was one key that did all of this, and this key was called the primary key. The secondary key was the one for the trunk, glove box and top lock (58-9 Convertibles), this is the key with the round head.
    I could buy a set of both door locks and the ignition cylinder that were keyed alike for upwards of 70.00 or I could find a locksmith to get me back to one key. The locksmith who actually could do this in my area took sick 7 years ago and has not returned to his shop, where one can see all his tools, stock and equipment by looking through the window.
    I came across a man in another Ford forum commenting on a key cutter. I became curious, did some research and contacted him. He was able to sell me a key cutting device with components to cut Ford keys from 1952 to 1965 and a code book to find the key code by using the key number. He also included a pinning kit that enabled me to change the pins in the locks and lock cylinders.
    Since my locks were in bad shape I was able to find nicer locks from Squarebirds I had parted out. These locks had no keys.
    I was able to find the key number on the right door lock which seems to be the only permanent place to find a primary key number on the Squarebird. Other possible sources might be on the original invoice or on the small round rings that come with new locks.
    Using the key number from the right door lock I was able to look up the key code in the book and set it on the key cutter. I now had a new key that fit my nice right door lock. Next was to take the left door lock, remove the old pins and springs and install new pins and springs using the code from the right door. I then re-pinned the ignition cylinder. Now I have all 3 locks operated by the same key.
    I have not done anything with the secondary key and am not sure if there is a key number anywhere for these. I'd like to hear if anyone has, or if anyone has some key experiences that might help forum members.
    Carl
    Attached Files
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

I had a similar situation with my keys. I did have some spare locks, so I took the pins out of the worst ones and used them to rekey the 2 door locks. I just matched the 2 cylinders to the existing ignition key. I did not know about key numbers on the cylinders. Since my keys are pretty worn, I wanted to cut a clean new key from a blank, but haven't found anyone to do that. I did make some copies and they seem to work fine for now.
    Sounds like you're pretty set up with the key kit now. Are you going to become the Squarebird locksmith? Just one more thing for you to do. ;-)
    Nyles

Comment

• Hogan
      Apprentice
      • May 21 2016

Could I send you both door locks from my 1960 in the mail and have you make a key? Or, could I just send you numbers off the locks? If so, what would you charge?

Thanks for posting about your recently acquired kit!

Lance

Comment

• mrfreeze
        • May 16 2007

Lost keys

I'm missing the keys for my 1960 T-bird- I only got 1 set with it and like a fool did not have another set made. I thought that could wait until the car was finished. I suspect the guy who did the body work & painted the engine compartment kept or lost the keys but this was 7+ years ago and I don't know how to get ahold of him and doubt he would remember or still have them. Searched my whole house top to bottom with no luck. I ordered a new ignition cylinder with 2 keys and from what I've read in these forums I'll probably have to drill out the ignition & trunk cylinders and have the door cylinders re-keyed. I would MUCH prefer to somehow have new keys made for the existing cylinders. For now I can't get into the trunk or glove box. I can live with a locked glove box but the trunk lid needs to come off for paint & body work.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Eric, you can unbolt the latch using a L-O-N-G 3/8" extension and a 1/2" socket.

Take your back seat out and enter the long extension through the left hole. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

Almost certain these are the original key sets delivered with our car new. Set on the right has more wear - was my Dad's set and he used the car as a daily driver for around 10 years.

The square key has "FORD" at the top and "USA" at the base. on the opposite side of the square key - "FORD" is at the top and a small "I" at the base.

The round key is the same but has an "H" at the base on the opposite side from "USA".

As Carl mentioned I don't see any other numbers on the keys (sorry I had to black out the teeth - figured with my luck someone would figure out how to copy them and steal the car - - what a world we live in today).

I do have the original title and warranty info although not with me - I'll check to see if any key numbers were recorded on that info when I'm able to get to it.

Also I know my Dad had to replace one of the lock cylinders on the door in the 80's. Still have that info too where he wrote a letter asking about getting it keyed correctly (the good old days) and I believe there was a number recorded on that order form. The square key does still operate both doors and the ignition.

Harbor Freight has a couple of nice long extensions to remove the latch hook as Dave mentions but I wonder if a locksmith would be cheaper?

Eric

ps

Funny story on having the original title. Went to the tag office to transfer the title to my name after my Dad died. Asked the lady behind the counter if there was a way they could stamp "void" on the title and send it back to me. She said no - once it's sent off there is no process to return the old one. She said - but if I didn't have the old title - say it was "lost" or something - you could just apply for a new title. So I'm standing there looking at the old title thinking - it's not lost - lets figure out a way to get it returned - then it hit me.
            I said - oh - thanks ! - took a lost title form - went over to the table and filled it out - got back in line. When I got to the same lady - she says " I see you need to apply for a lost title"
            Got the new title in my name (of course I had to have P.O.A. and death certificate stuff) and got tot keep the original title. Wish more folks at the DMV were as helpful as she was.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Keys & Key Codes

The information on how to access the trunk lock from the back seat of the Squarebird is in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) along with much, much more information on Tbirds... Here is the link to it.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...structions.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
                Super-Experienced
                • Aug 27 2008

Great video - thanks for the reminder on the TRL Ray.

Comment

• mrfreeze
                  • May 16 2007

Thanks for the info!

I want to thank everyone for the info. I got the glove box open & removed that lock mechanism but couldn't find anything that would reveal the key code. I was thinking of taking it to a locksmith or Ford Dealer to see if there was anything they could do with it. I did a search before with terms like "key" and "lock cylinder" but didn't notice the how-to in the tech section. Maybe my search was too narrow & didn't include that forum. I'll see what I have for extensions & see what I can do to get the trunk open.

I have the interior door panels off and looked at/felt the lock cylinder but can't quite tell how to remove it. I was expecting a retaining clip but it feels like there is a quite large clip with the opening facing the front of the car and the "clip" or large piece of flat metal seems to extend to the back edge of the door, so it doesn't appear to be an easy job to just pop it out. If I could at least get that key code it would make things easier.

I was wondering how many different key codes there might be- especially for the trunk/glove box key. If it isn't too many it might be worth having all of them made- especially if one could get a good price on a large quantity of blanks & maybe a volume discount on having them cut. If you consider the cost of drilling and replacing cylinders (not to mention the time and effort involved) it might not be such a bad idea. Then whenever one of the forum members needs a key the full set could be mailed, the person could determine which one theyneed, have it copied & return the full set. Of course I don't know how many codes there are but if it is an Alphabet based system as DKheld's picture suggests, it could be 26 or fewer possibilities per key type.

Regarding the original title- I would have suggested "losing" the title as well. I had to apply for a lost title once to sell a car that I had the title for... somewhere... but couldn't locate in a timely manner. It cost a bit extra in fees but if you had an original title that you wanted to retain it is well worth the cost. As for my T-bird- I bought it without a title so I had to apply for a bonded title. I think the bond might have cost $100 and after 3 or 5 years it becomes a clear title. My T-bird was probably from the original owner- it was licensed until 1971 and kept in a barn until 2005 when the family farm was sold off and the barn torn down. The owner was in a retirement home and I believe was afflicted with Alzheimer's so a neighbor was handling the sale for the family. The car was complete minus one headlight. Odometer shows 23k but the motor was tight, interior was shot & rockers and rear wheel wells were rusted out. (Minnesota car) The floors were surprisingly solid- looks like it had undercoating from the factory or dealer. Anyway, I paid something like $750 for it in 2005 and no one has challenged the title.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by mrfreeze
                    I have the interior door panels off and looked at/felt the lock cylinder but can't quite tell how to remove it. I was expecting a retaining clip but it feels like there is a quite large clip with the opening facing the front of the car and the "clip" or large piece of flat metal seems to extend to the back edge of the door, so it doesn't appear to be an easy job to just pop it out. If I could at least get that key code it would make things easier.
                    You don't have to take the door panels off to get the lock cylinders out. Just peel back the door weatherstripping even with the lock and you will see the clip that you have to pull out. The cylinder will come right out once it's removed.

John
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• mrfreeze
                      • May 16 2007

"Master" key set

I was able to locate my door/ignition key code so half of my problem is solved. Soon I'll be taking out the trunk cylinder & looking for a code on it. I was able to find a 92-key "Try-Out" key set for the Ford H26/H27 keys for sale online for $150. The manufacturer name is Aero and the part number is TO-118. I am seriously considering the purchase of this set to find my trunk key and make the set available for other classic Ford owners with missing keys to find & copy the keys they need. I am blind & my only income is from SSDI so $150 is somewhat of a big purchase which requires some thought. If I do order the set I will post to let everyone know how they work.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Keys & Key Codes

Hi Eric, I see you are making progress with your locks, keys and key codes. I hope you will be able to figure it all out and get that problem fixed. I had not read your profile until you posted the comment about you being blind. I commend you greatly on your desire to restore your Tbird and get her back on the road again. Here is that link regarding how to get that trunk lock off, which includes the video on how to go about doing it. Good luck with this when you get to that.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...structions.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I was able to locate my door/ignition key code so half of my problem is solved. Soon I'll be taking out the trunk cylinder & looking for a code on it. I was able to find a 92-key "Try-Out" key set for the Ford H26/H27 keys for sale online for $150. The manufacturer name is Aero and the part number is TO-118. I am seriously considering the purchase of this set to find my trunk key and make the set available for other classic Ford owners with missing keys to find & copy the keys they need. I am blind & my only income is from SSDI so $150 is somewhat of a big purchase which requires some thought. If I do order the set I will post to let everyone know how they work.
                          According to the description the set only fits door and ignition locks which are the same. The trunk and glove box locks are different. I know there are many more than 92 combinations of locks so I'm not sure if that set will help. I would hate to see you spend $150 and still not find the correct key.

John

Comment

• mrfreeze
                            • May 16 2007

Yeah- $150 is a lot to pay especially if it is only for the door & ignition keys which I have the code for. I couldn't find much detail to the description for the try out set but what gave me some hope ws that it mentioned H26/H27. Also I think Carl mentioned to me in a private message that he had seen a part number for a try-out or "master" set with 81 keys, but he couldn't find it with an internet search. I thought that perhaps there were 81 door/ignition combinations used and it was possible that the 92-key set I found included 11 of the H26 trunk/glove box keys. It seemed feasible that they might use fewer combinations for teh trunk and glove box as there would be less of a security concern. Wishful thinking, perhaps. I may try to contact the manufacterer (Aero) of the try-out key set I found to inquire about what the set actually includes.

I did get my trunk open- it was actually pretty easy becuse years ago when I was working on the car I had actually taken the catch off and when I put it back I had only one bolt holding it in and that wasn't even tight. I have a new "reproduction" lock cylinder from Ebay ($16.30) but I haven't removed the lock/latch mechanism off of the trunk lid yet.

Unfortunately, I did learn that my door locks which worked smoothly when I got the car over a decade ago now will not allow a key to be fully inserted so they may need to be replaced. I tried spraying some penetrating oil in the door cylinder that I removed but so far it hasn't helped. I think I can get the door locks for about $12 each on Ebay but it is unlikely that I would get a matched set. There are options for matched sets but the prices go up significantly. This won't be an urgent issue until the car is painted which isn't going to happen any time soon. The main concerns were getting the trunk open & being able to use the ignition switch when the motor goes back in.

Originally posted by jopizz
                            According to the description the set only fits door and ignition locks which are the same. The trunk and glove box locks are different. I know there are many more than 92 combinations of locks so I'm not sure if that set will help. I would hate to see you spend $150 and still not find the correct key.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Unfortunately, I did learn that my door locks which worked smoothly when I got the car over a decade ago now will not allow a key to be fully inserted so they may need to be replaced. I tried spraying some penetrating oil in the door cylinder that I removed but so far it hasn't helped. I think I can get the door locks for about $12 each on Ebay but it is unlikely that I would get a matched set. There are options for matched sets but the prices go up significantly. This won't be an urgent issue until the car is painted which isn't going to happen any time soon. The main concerns were getting the trunk open & being able to use the ignition switch when the motor goes back in.
                              Try putting some penetrating oil in a cup and let the locks soak for a few days. I would be shocked if the tumblers didn't free up. That's the only thing that would keep the keys from being inserted.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎