X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

water pump pulley

Ed, the COAE9425B tells you that the C0=1960. The 9425 tells you that it is the intake manifold and the B is the revision number. As I recall, the OD11 is the manufacture date. Someone like Dave, or jopizz can break it down better for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
      inexperienced
      • Jul 9 2015

Intake manifold must be original if date is 1960. I was told the engine was from a mid 60's 390. If that is true, sounds like there is a mix of parts from 2 engines.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Check and see if you have the engine identification tag. It should be attached to the driver side at the front where the coil originally mounted. I imagine you had to remove the coil to mount the compressor.

John
        Attached Files
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you can't find the tag look at the heads between the middle spark plugs. There should be a part number prefix there.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
            inexperienced
            • Jul 9 2015

Unfortunately, no tag at that location. Don't know if it was there prior to A/C install. Will ask mechanic, possible he removed it. Thanks

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
              inexperienced
              • Jul 9 2015

numbers between spark plugs are
              COAE 6090-C

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Those are 1960 352 heads. It appears that you have the original 352 engine, not a later 390. I don't know if you can use 352 heads with a 390 block. Do have a generator or an alternator? Later 390 blocks had a hole to mount an alternator. Early 352 blocks did not.

John

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
                  inexperienced
                  • Jul 9 2015

I have an alternator. That being the case, the block would have to be a 390. Previous owner would have no reason to tell me otherwise.

Comment

• bygrace
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 27 2015

I went thru some of this when putting a Sanden compressor on my wife's '60. Getting stuck between vendors recommendations and a motor that doesn't fit an expected standard. I can't help you with part numbers, or if original Ford parts are wanted, but I remember just walking thru a junk yard and taking a water pump pulley off something that had a wider 'bell' than mine. I think it was a Mopar. It had two sheaves so I cut one off (with a sabre saw). I aligned the belt to the compressor, measured the interior gap with clay, and cut down a fan spacer to fill it. Longer studs holds it all together. Been together 15 yrs. The fan's electric. Just sayin' you might get unstuck by getting off the parts lists and just using what works in your situation. Unless you want original.
                    Mike S

Comment

• frank58
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 28 2006

They could have put in a "short block" and used the original engine intake manifold and heads from the old engine... If you look on the front of the engine, near the oil dipstick you will find the engine assembly date.

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
                        inexperienced
                        • Jul 9 2015

The plate has no numbers on it but may have been painted and numbers are under paint. Would the numbers be etched into the metal?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

If you're not sure which engine you have, simply measure the stroke. There is 1/4" difference between a 352 and a 390. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

water pump pulley

To amplify what Dave said, read this...

Here is your firing order. 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8, thanks to Dave. Here is how he explained it to me.

TDC-----BDC
                            1----5----4-----2
                            |----| ----|-----|
                            6----3----7-----8
                            TDC-----BDC

Here's the easy way to check the stroke without removing the valve cover. Get a straight 12 inch piece of white electrical house wire or coat hanger wire. Get a magic marker. Remove the #1 spark plug. With #1 at Top Dead Center (TDC) put the wire in the #1 spark plug hole with the wire resting on the top of the piston. Make sure the engine is at TDC in the #1 spark plug hole. Once you are sure it is at TDC, continue. Make a mark on the wire even with the lip. If you have not already done so, remove spark plug #4. Stick that wire into #4 spark plug hole until the wire is at its lowest point, Bottom Dead Center (BDC). Mark the wire again, at the lip, and check the markings. Here are the specs: 3.78" is the stroke for the 390, and 3.5" is the stroke for the 352 engine.

In other words, if I have this right, if the marks are at 3.78" that would indicate that it is a 390, and if the marks are at 3.5" (about 1/4" shorter) that indicates it is a 352 engine...
                            Last edited by YellowRose; August 1, 2017, 11:04 AM. Reason: Revised content

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Ray, it's easier than that... When #1 piston is up, #4 is down.

Put your timing mark on TDC and don't move the crank. Stick the rod down #1 spark plug hole and mark it. Pull #4 plug and stick the rod down the hole and mark it.

Measure between your marks. The 352 stroke measures 3-1/2" between your marks. The 390/427 crank measures just over 3-3/4". So, if you measure more than 3.5" stroke, it's a 390.
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎