No announcement yet.

58 for sale

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

58 for sale

Been checking Ebay maybe you have seen it, a 58 blue convertable for sale it has issues and no data plate, I am thinking about bidding on it but looking for advise on whether I should, it has the wrong paint,motor and interior not to mention the missing data plate. I am new to this site and know very little about these cars, any help would be appreciated.
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

My personal opinion is -- it has too many issues, too many wrong things, and too high a price to start with.

I wouldn't attempt to try to take it back to original color, engine, transmission, etc. That would be major $$$$$.

Also consider that these birds need normal work to keep them alive and well. That alone is enough for me.

Hopefully you'll get some other opinions from the folks on this site.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• fomoco59
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 10 2005

Not too bad... they are one of the rarest 'Birds. Depends on if you want a "driver" or a show car as to $$ you want to spend on motor/color changes.
      sigpic
      Mike Lemmon
      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• GTE427
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 9 2007

If looking for a Squarebird convertible, the 58 is a excellent choice. The 58 was the lowest production at 2134, and the 58 --early 59-- has a trunk controlled power top that is far less troublesome than later 59 and 60 convertible which are fully automatic being operated from the drivers seat.

If you're looking for a driver, like turquoise and the paint is in good shape, the color shouldn't be a problem. The TBird's underhood it painted body color as is the inside trunk, changing back to Red could get expensive, this is where your intentions have to be considered against the cost of the car. Likewise a interior color change could be expensive, but if in good shape and to your liking, enjoy it the way you like.

Look for rust, rusted floors, rusted trunk floors, and body panels. If the panels have been replaced, check workmanship. When the work is done right, the fender skirts fit nicely, many times they don't after panel replacement, and the rear fender lips are wavy. Check the hood and trunk underside at the hinge ends, there's a seam where the skin wraps around, these seams are where rust first shows up. Also check the seams and around the drain holes in the bottom of the doors.

The VIN number can be found on the frame to check against the title.

This car has been on ebay a couple of times the past year for the same opening bid and hasn't sold, so it may have issues for why it isn't selling. Do yourself a favor, drive or fly, get there and look over the car, it worth the expense.
        The rest is up to you and your budget. If you'd like, send your number in a PM and I'd be glad to talk. Good luck.
        Ken
        1959 J Convertible
        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

My $.02
          We're looking at the turquoise one? Item # 300190402223.

$17 is a little strong. I'd go 10 tops. No data plate? Scary!!

Remember, 58's have coil spring susp in the rear. Plan on adding heavy duty sway bars frt & rr ($400 in parts-aprox)

As far as the top , the 58-59 system is simpler. Although, in 47 years the top in my 60 has only not worked once. The motor simply wore out. It got out of sync once. Lesson learned, only raise and lwr the top on a level surface. I've never seen a 59 with a full power top.

But yeah, 10 is all it's worth because its not (close to) orig and the no data plate thing. Here in Calif the DMV won't even look at it W/O that. You'd have to go to the CHP 1st and have it "Blue tagged"

But plan on ANOTHER $10 (minimum) to get it close.

OR just have fun and make it a Street Rod !!!!!
          428 . . . C6 . . . beef up the susp Add disc brakes (You need to do that either way)

Good luck

Comment

• fomoco59
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 10 2005

Geez.. there's a lot of cool Squarebirds on EBay right now. That custom reddish one is nicely done.
            sigpic
            Mike Lemmon
            '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• JohnG
              John
              • Jul 28 2003

Someone correct me if I am wrong but without the data plate you need to see the VIN and determine if it really is a convertible. There are no end of sawed off hardtops out there! You hit a good bump and the windshield cracks due to the lack of reinforcement.

Unless you have a pile of money you can spend years getting it to where it should be even if it is legit, so you need to decide on what your long term goal is. $17 strikes me as way too high but that's what Ebay is partly about - fishing expeditions.

John
              58 HT
              1958 Hardtop
              #8452 TBird Registry
              http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
              history:
              http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• GTE427
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 9 2007

One thing I've noticed about convertible conversions is that this conversions haven't taken the time to invert the trunk lid to rear hinged and install the folding canvas top. To date, the convertible wannabe's I've seen have front hinged trunk lids and no roofs or a home made roof of some sort that's easy to spot as such or a aftermarket fabricated roof. I think once a wannbe is looked at, those with minimal knowledge of Squarebirds would spot the conversion.

Beside, the serial number on the frame/title would contain a J in the fourth position of a 58/59, this would be another clue if the car is authentic.
                Ken
                1959 J Convertible
                1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

If he doesn't have the data plate..how does he know about the red?

Doesn't it seem curious that he knows it should be a Grenedier Red with Red and White Interior?

Is there another way other than the data plate to figure that out?

Comment

STAY away far far away. You can't buy the vin tag anywere.

Comment

58 for sale

Got to tell you guys, all car guys are alike, I have a Corvette and talk on their forum all the time, Jaguar too, you welcome a new guy to your forum and then try to give him as much info. to help him make a decision on a car.....all I can say is you guys are great, lots of helpful info. I did email this guy last time his car was listed and told him that if it did not sell to let me know, we both live in Washington, and that I would come over to Spokane to look at his car.....never heard from him, he also told me the data plate was missing but that it is stamped drivers side dash board, looked at other birds ...no vins there. I know about restorations, I could live with the color change, but there are still to many questions, like you all said this car has not even got one bid, think I will pass!
                      I see that there is another 60 bird on Ebay also in the Seattle area, ( lucky me ) that Holman Moody one, looks pretty cool, has a sun roof and has been modified, know it is not a vert, but different, he has not met his reserve at 11.3.....what do you guys think is a reasonable value. Once again thanks for all the help, and as us Corvette guys say Save the Wave!

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

I sure like the colors on that 1958, but I'd have to have a correct data plate, correct door panels and seat covers (so more money).

I do think it would be GREAT to get the T-Bird's "for sure" VIN# off the inner fender/cowl/cross-memeber area. Heck, if nothing else we could get the T-Bird "back to the original owners" if you know what I mean. Kind of like the returned by the DMV 1956 T-Bird story in CA....
                        sigpic
                        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• JohnG
                          John
                          • Jul 28 2003

I have to say that if I were going to pay, say, more than $5K for any TBird (HT or conv) I would want to go and look at it in person. Too many variables otherwise. Things I would want to see include:
                          * VIN and data tag
                          * condition of front underside pertaining to rusted out components. Poke around with a screwdriver...
                          * go over the body with a felt covered magnet to find out Bondo work
                          * real paint color(s)
                          * real quality of work not provided by photos

Otherwise you can buy a nightmare. I was thinking of one of our members in Florida who got a car that needed, among other things, the roof replaced. (Yes... you read that right).
                          The potential man-hours are incredible. If he had gotten the car for free it was still not a very good deal.

Just my opinions. These and 75 cents may get you today's paper.

John
                          1958 Hardtop
                          #8452 TBird Registry

history:

Comment

• GTE427
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Oct 9 2007

Mike,

Here are some photos to explain what we talked about.

The trunk release switch location to the left of the steering column.

The trunk lid in the released position with the safety catch hooked and showing the package tray flipped out.

And lastly the underside of the trunk lid with the package tray folded and the solenoid locations. I've manually opened the trunk and can now operate the roof from a switch located on the drivers side inner trunk sidewall.

This represents the 58 and 59 convertible, the 60 is fully automatic and the component differ with relays, limit switches and more hydraulics.
                            Attached Files
                            Ken
                            1959 J Convertible
                            1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• JohnG
                              John
                              • Jul 28 2003

I looked at photos of the dash to see if the locks were there for the convertible top that one of you mentioned. I could not see that well.

However, the instrument faces are white which is the wrong color for '58!! (59 and 60 are white; 58 black)

So one has to really wonder just what the **** this thing really is!!

John
                              58 Hardtop
                              1958 Hardtop
                              #8452 TBird Registry

history:

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎