Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Tommy,

You're Welcome. Any time.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Since we are all talking about the 9" rear end, does anyone know the measurement of the rear end brake drum face to face? And the width of the spring perches?

I'm thinking of pulling the 9 out from under the 59 in my yard to replace the rear end in the Dodge Truck. It's some strange old rear end with spindle mounted style hubs on the axle?

Thanks
      RustyNCA

Comment

• ncbird
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

According to ultrastang site 52 3/4 flange to flange and 36" for distance between spring perchs. Most 9" appear to be wider and the perchs 43" apart. Again the ultrastang sits has somd really good 9" info
        Grant
        NCbird on the Coast of NC
        "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Hi All, John you were right on the money with 28 spline and 3-/16 carrier bearings. Good news is I have a great working trac-lok. Bad news is when we took it apart the pinion pilot bearing was wobbling but it was 20 degrees outside and just as cold inside working in a 12x 18 dirt floor garage we just put it together. Now when I give it gas it is making noise let off it stops. I have been told you can't change pilot bearing without removing pumpkin. Do you know if that is true if I have to remove I am going to put in 3.50 gears will that make a difference from 3.10 or should I put 3.70 gears. Thanks in advance Tommy" I hope this doesn't come up twice I had it all typed in and then it said I didn't log in, but I did so if it comes up twice I apologize.

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Originally posted by jopizz
            Tommy,

You're Welcome. Any time.

John
            Hi John, thanks for your great info. John I'm not sure if I post if you get to see so I would like your opinion on my last post, about changing pinion pilot bearing and what gear ratio would be good for my 390. I have 3.10 now and don't know if I should go 3.50 or 3.70. I don't do a lot of highway but will be doing some, and will I feel difference from 3.10-3.50. Thanks Tommy"

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Tommy,

The differential is not really my area of expertise. That's one of the jobs I usually leave to a pro. Hopefully someone else here can answer your questions. Have you searched some of the past threads. I'm sure gear changes have been discussed before.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Originally posted by jopizz
                Tommy,

The differential is not really my area of expertise. That's one of the jobs I usually leave to a pro. Hopefully someone else here can answer your questions. Have you searched some of the past threads. I'm sure gear changes have been discussed before.

John
                Thanks John I'll check and see what I can find. I know you sure knew what you were talking about as far as bearing and spline size and I sure appreciate it. You saved my butt. Tommy"

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by tommy cruise
                  Hi John, thanks for your great info. John I'm not sure if I post if you get to see so I would like your opinion on my last post, about changing pinion pilot bearing and what gear ratio would be good for my 390. I have 3.10 now and don't know if I should go 3.50 or 3.70. I don't do a lot of highway but will be doing some, and will I feel difference from 3.10-3.50. Thanks Tommy"
                  Go punch some numbers into this calculator. It will give you an idea of what various gear changes will do.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Rear end gear changes offer the most torque for the money. It's easy to get carried away, though. Much of this depends on your type of driving, how economy-minded you are, and how much low-end torque you really need.

I have a 4.30:1 gear in my Mustang (8.8) axle. It pulls stumps, but the car is in 2nd before passing under the light. I'm able to use a low gear because the trans is an overdrive (AOD).

For a conventional 3-speed auto, I would be comfy at 3.70:1 for mostly city driving with occasional interstate highway trips. Many street machines had 3.90:1, but gas would kill you and the engine screams doing 70 mph. You will feel a VAST difference from 3.10 to 3.70.

Here's your axle components showing Ford's Group Numbers:

I divided this illustration into two sheets. Download each and paste them together:
                    CLICK HERE for the LH side
                    CLICK HERE for the RH side

May I suggest, if you are changing gears, at the same time replace any bad bearings, wash the insides thoroughly with kerosene or mineral spirits and reassemble with all new gaskets and seals. - Dave
                    Last edited by simplyconnected; November 19, 2013, 03:21 PM.
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                      Go punch some numbers into this calculator. It will give you an idea of what various gear changes will do.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
                      Hi RustyNCa; Wow what a great site. I just found out I can change the pinion pilot bearing from the front, so I don't have to take out the 3rd member. Thanks so much for all the great info. Tommy"

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        Rear end gear changes offer the most torque for the money. It's easy to get carried away, though. Much of this depends on your type of driving, how economy-minded you are, and how much low-end torque you really need.

I have a 4.30:1 gear in my Mustang (8.8) axle. It pulls stumps, but the car is in 2nd before passing under the light. I'm able to use a low gear because the trans is an overdrive (AOD).

For a conventional 3-speed auto, I would be comfy at 3.70:1 for mostly city driving with occasional interstate highway trips. Many street machines had 3.90:1, but gas would kill you and the engine screams doing 70 mph. You will feel a VAST difference from 3.10 to 3.70.

Here's your axle components showing Ford's Group Numbers:

I divided this illustration into two sheets. Download each and paste them together:
                        CLICK HERE for the LH side
                        CLICK HERE for the RH side

May I suggest, if you are changing gears, at the same time replace any bad bearings, wash the insides thoroughly with kerosene or mineral spirits and reassemble with all new gaskets and seals. - Dave
                        Thanks Dave; great illustration now that I know I don't have to pull 3rd member to change pinion pilot it's going to stay a 3.10 rear. Still plenty of power and great on highway. My buddy has a 3.50 and it is tempting but right now these old bones says NO.LOL" Tommy"

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 30 2009

Richmond has a nice gear calculator as well. I used their "street performance" calculator when I picked my gear ratio.

I ended up picking a 3.50 ratio to pair up with my 28" diameter rear tires.
                          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                            Richmond has a nice gear calculator as well. I used their "street performance" calculator when I picked my gear ratio.

I ended up picking a 3.50 ratio to pair up with my 28" diameter rear tires.
                            Thanks Dakota, Is that your 58 with 460? If so that is a beautiful ride. I bet she can haul. I'm going to stay with the 3.10 if I wasn't able to change pilot bearing and had to pull 3rd member then I would go with 3.50.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 30 2009

Yes, it has a 460; but it is fairly tame right now. Upgrades are in order, but my money tree has to grow for awhile first.
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

59 t-bird differential

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                                Yes, it has a 460; but it is fairly tame right now. Upgrades are in order, but my money tree has to grow for awhile first.
                                Lol" I know about the $$$ tree mine stopped producing. Oh I'm just going slow a little at a time. I just want to get it to where I feel comfortable driving it and not having to worry about breaking down. Problem is winter is in and it's a tuff go. I just want to have it running good for this summer. I really like your 58 tame or not it's a beauty. Take care Tommy"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎