Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

How about running new front coil springs for a 1959-60 430cid Bird WITH A/C??

These should be slightly stronger....

-Jon in TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

It all comes down to how you want your car to sit (the car's "stance"). If you put stiff springs up front, then maybe the back of the car will sit too low. With things like this, I think we all just kind of have to figure it out on our own.

Just a few weeks ago, I FINALLY got my car to sit square at the rear. I had the right leaf spring arched a few inches more than the left. Why did that need to be done? ****, nobody but the car itself knows why, and the car still hasnt revealed that secret.....

(Although there is evidence of a fender-bender on the passenger side at some point in the car's history.)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• newbird59
        Experienced
        • Dec 27 2011

Hey John, Thanks for clarifying that for the front springs! You're a champ! I'm going to be home later and i'll see what I have. My bird is a 1960 hartop so we will see if they are original (can't see why they wouldn't be but who knows!).

Thank you for the support Eric! Also,thank you for your pictures! I'll let you guys know very soon what I find. I'll call a few places to ask about bushings and other things next week.

Thank you for your link dgs. You literally have a play-by-play on this! Awesome!

Hey Greg, I plan on the car having some rake...So getting the right balance is important. I have zero clue where to start. I notice your bird is lower in the front and that you have Lakewood traction bars in the rear. Did that provide you with any lift in the rear since you are using stock front springs? Also, are those a universal set of traction bars?

Thanks again guys!

David
        1960 Thunderbird
        429 TJ
        C6 Tranny
        Under Construction

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

David,

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I'm going to install a set of air shocks on the rear and see how that works out. I did have the rear leaf springs rebuilt and rearched, but the rear of the car still seems to sit a little low. When I get them installed, I let you guys know how it all worked out.
            Nyles

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tbird1044
              I'm going to install a set of air shocks on the rear and see how that works out. I did have the rear leaf springs rebuilt and rearched, but the rear of the car still seems to sit a little low. When I get them installed, I let you guys know how it all worked out.
              Nyles
              When I've had a similar issue I have asked the spring-maker to include an extra leaf under the main one when getting them re-set - it stops the bum from sagging and gives a firmer ride.

Air-shocks are a 'patch-up'.
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

newbird59-

my car sits lower in the front primarily because the front tires are 26" diameter, and the rear tires are 28". Plus, there is a heavy 460 under the hood. My leaf springs in the back were "stock" units from McVeigh's Truck Springs. They have an ebay store, and the price was very fair.

The Lakewood bars don't add anything to the ride height; that's not their purpose. What they do is prevent horrible wheel-hop when removing rubber from the rear tires.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                  Experienced
                  • May 28 2012

my 60 non AC has springs with a yellow stripe. I think it sits to high in the front
                  Attached Files
                  Yellow98Cobra
                  1960 Thunderbird HT
                  Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                  There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                  http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• newbird59
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 27 2011

Ok guys,

Looks like I have the same as yellow98cobra. Black with a yellow strip. Everything is super dirty....I have to figure out what to clean the parts with. I'm calling to see about the rebuild kit tomorrow. We will find out really quick who will supply U.S. bushings. Stay tuned!

Thanks Greg, that helps me understand a little better.

David
                    1960 Thunderbird
                    429 TJ
                    C6 Tranny
                    Under Construction

Comment

• newbird59
                      Experienced
                      • Dec 27 2011

Looks like Kanter won't guarantee that any bushings are made in the USA. The guy basically said that you get what you get. Not super helpful...ill keep looking!!
                      1960 Thunderbird
                      429 TJ
                      C6 Tranny
                      Under Construction

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 30 2009

I'm just glad that there are ANY parts available for these old cars.

But maybe if people start asking for U.S.-made parts....maybe that part of the business will change...

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                          I'm just glad that there are ANY parts available for these old cars...
                          Originally posted by Tbird1044
                          A squarebird friend changed his motor mounts about 2 years ago, with mounts made in India, and he now had to change them again because they cracked and failed. I have heard some others also say they have had problems with rubber items from India. If I could find U.S. products, I would definitely spend the extra $$ as I'm getting to old for reworks.
                          Nyles
                          This job isn't easy. If the only available inferior parts last only two years, we're in deep trouble.
                          Call Tee-bird.com (800) 423-3723 and ask Bill if he can get domestic bushings. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jul 31 2012

Have you tried contacting RockAuto parts. They show Raybestos and also AC Delco available for the 1960 Bird. They also have a "service" and "professional" grade bushing available. May be worth a phone call and see what they say.
                            I'm also checking with a friend that found U.S. bushings for his car after the India bushings failed in less than 2 years.
                            Nyles

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                              Experienced
                              • May 28 2012

I was looking over the parts I got in the Kanter kit and the strut bushing are stamped made in the USA by Ramcoa. http://ramcoa.com/ there website only shows the strut bushings for our Tbirds. you might call them for info...

There are no point of origin marks on any of the other bushings. The inner tie rod has a sticker on the package made in Argentina
                              Yellow98Cobra
                              1960 Thunderbird HT
                              Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                              There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                              http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• Tbird1044
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jul 31 2012

A friend of mine suggested that if you want U.S. parts, check out Rareparts.com. I have never used them and just checked out their site. They do have parts listed for the Squarebirds, but they seem a little pricey. It might be worth the extra cost to get good parts, if you consider the labor and alignment costs of doing your front end. I would definitely contact them and talk one to one about their parts prior to purchase. I have never used Rareparts.com so if anyone does contact them, give us some feedback. We're always looking for a reliable supplier of parts.
                                Just as a side note, they list the front springs for the 430 engine, but not the 352. Hmmm?
                                Nyles

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎