X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

fomoco alu intake any info on this?

I took a chance and made a bid on a fomoco aluminium intake on ebay, no casting numbers what so ever. I have been looking on and of for the right one but sometimes you take chance when there is not so much info but a lot of people are bidding on it.
    It looks good but can anyone look at the picture and see if they know some info on this one, which type it is and if I did ok?
    regards=Ron
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I guess the only question I have is what kind of spacer to use between the manifold and carb. You'll probably have to use a pcv valve of some sort and a larger spacer. Whether you'll need one that's tapered is another story.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• kuusamon
      Experienced
      • Feb 14 2009

Hi John, yes I have a spacer for the carb, a pcv spacer I believe. I need to find the cover for the back pcv hole. I think I found what kind of manifold this is, without the casting numbers. it is either a galaxy 61, 62 manifold or looking at pictures it looks equal to a C3AE-9424-E manifold, low riser.
      I hope I did well with this one, I wanted one as looking close as original as possible.
      regards=ron
      sigpicGreets,
      Ronald
      Kuusamo

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Ron, I hope this manifold works for you, too. I know that there are about fifty combinations of FE heads and intake combinations. That's why I prefer buying them as sets.

It may be possible that your aluminum intake had the numbers smoothed so that it could be painted to look like an OEM. After all, painted pieces are very difficult to tell what is underneath.

BTW... Most large threaded holes are NPT (National Pipe Threads). Plugs and fittings are very available.

With a leap of faith and a little luck, this intake might be what you are looking for. Good Luck, my friend. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• kuusamon
          Experienced
          • Feb 14 2009

thanks Dave, I've been looking and checking all kinds of intake manifolds on the net, offenhausers port o sonics the 5474's, edelbrocks etc etc. But I am not going to turn my car into a hotrod, just taking a bit of the weight, maybe a little more hp and/or fuel efficiency and looking as close to original as possible, therefor looking for one with an oil filling tube. This one I paid a bit more than I was planning for a manifold but hopefully it fits. Maybe looking for a alu waterpump, then the diskbrake update, maybe alu heads, lots of plans still over the next few years.
          regards=ron
          sigpicGreets,
          Ronald
          Kuusamo

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by kuusamon

I took a chance and made a bid on a fomoco aluminium intake on ebay, no casting numbers what so ever.

That is a 1960 352CI 360HP intake. They had no Casting I.D.

It is basically the same intake used on the later 1961/1964 390HP/406 and 427LR.

These intakes (HP) used a special PCV setup, but you can also use a nippled spacer and block the rear opening.

I would show details but there is no way to post photos here.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Gary, of course there are ways to post pictures on this Forum. Three at least.... You can do so if you are a Paid Member. You can do so by going to a free picture hosting website like Photobucket, posting the pix there, and then posting the link in the thread. Or you can do as you have done in the past. Send them to me and I can post them for you.....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• kuusamon
                Experienced
                • Feb 14 2009

Gary, thanks for the info.
                So it doesn't look like I bought a 'cat in the bag' or a 'pig in a poke'.
                With a casting number it would have been easier to check if that is what I wanted/needed because of the intake jungle out there. I paid about 319 dollars for it included shipping. And it seems then the correct year also.
                I do have the carb spacer and the oil filling cap I bought is also with a pcv outlet, also just to be sure I have a edelbrock modern chrome air filter but also an original Tbird airfilter holder with a pcv inlet. All I have to see now is how to set the pcv system up. I can order a cover for the rear pcv hole on the intake or one with an outlet pointing upwards. Hope you can post some pictures of the pcv setup.
                thanks, regards=ron

p.s. here an item on ebay that might fit?
                Last edited by kuusamon; August 17, 2012, 04:20 AM. Reason: additional info
                sigpicGreets,
                Ronald
                Kuusamo

Comment

• KULTULZ

Gary, thanks for the info. So it doesn't look like I bought a 'cat in the bag' or a 'pig in a poke'.
                  You are more than welcome. And yes, you made a big score (IMO).

Originally posted by kuusamon continues

With a casting number it would have been easier to check if that is what I wanted/needed because of the intake jungle out there. I paid about 319 dollars for it included shipping. And it seems then the correct year also.

I do have the carb spacer and the oil filling cap I bought is also with a pcv outlet, also just to be sure I have a edelbrock modern chrome air filter but also an original Tbird airfilter holder with a pcv inlet. All I have to see now is how to set the pcv system up. I can order a cover for the rear pcv hole on the intake or one with an outlet pointing upwards. Hope you can post some pictures of the pcv setup.

thanks, regards=ron
                  The first year of the Alum 4V Casting (1960) had no I.D. Nos as it was cast outside of FORD. It did have the FOMOCO raised casting mark. Same for 61/64. While these did have I.D. Nos., they were still supplied to FORD by an outside vendor. If you notice on the 61/64 castings, the Casting I.D. No. Basic is 9424 which is a Service Part Basic No. 9425 Is the Casting I.D. No. for an intake manifold.

Before we go any further, let me ask how you want the engine to appear, as OEM, Resto-Mod or HI-PO? The 1960 352HP was not available in the 60 BIRD as a regular option.

- http://www.fordfe.info/Intake/Factory/indexFactory.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by YellowRose

Gary, of course there are ways to post pictures on this Forum. Three at least.... You can do so if you are a Paid Member.

You can do so by going to a free picture hosting website like Photobucket, posting the pix there, and then posting the link in the thread. Or you can do as you have done in the past. Send them to me and I can post them for you.....
                    I have no reason to join as I do not have a BIRD (doesn't mean I don't want one).

(I also desire Ann-Margret but I now realize that it is not going to happen either... )

Photobucket is not nice to me (computer challenged).

I will submit to you directly what this gentleman needs for his upgrade.

Comment

• kuusamon
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 14 2009

Thanks Gary, I would like this engine to appear close to OEM but I am not too perfectionistic about it. This alu intake resembles the orig. cast iron that I have on there now. But sure if I can have some improvements on the car, a little better power or fuel efficiency, improvement on braking etc. as long as it doesn't change the original look (too much). I have read that the orig. pcv or actually there wasn't except a tube in the back pointing down smelly oil gasses could be smelled inside the car sometimes, could use a bit of an upgrade as well.
                      regards=ron
                      sigpicGreets,
                      Ronald
                      Kuusamo

Comment

• KULTULZ

I would like this engine to appear close to OEM but I am not too perfectionistic about it. This alu intake resembles the orig. cast iron that I have on there now. But sure if I can have some improvements on the car, a little better power or fuel efficiency, improvement on braking etc. as long as it doesn't change the original look (too much).

I have read that the orig. pcv or actually there wasn't except a tube in the back pointing down smelly oil gasses could be smelled inside the car sometimes, could use a bit of an upgrade as well.

regards=ron
                        The BIRD used road draft tubes until 1963 (1961 CA). You can either plumb a PCV System as OEM original appearance or a custom look that will be harder to spot (PCV being better for the engine).

Suggest PERTRONIX II for the distributor and what type of carburetor are you planning on using?

It will be easier for me to supply the info by E-MAIL and then Ray can go through it to show the board later.

If this is OK with you, my E-MAIL is KULTULZ@msn.com.

Or we can do it via this venue if desired.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Gary, I see we share the same fondness for the same fine example of female pulchritude! I have long been an admirer of her.

If you sent those pix to me to post, (which I will be glad to do) I did not receive them...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by YellowRose

Gary, I see we share the same fondness for the same fine example of female pulchritude! I have long been an admirer of her.
                            Now watch how you talk about my flower...

I am waiting to see if he wants to do this by E-MAIL or the forum. Of course we would send you the E-MAILS to post the info here.

Comment

• kuusamon
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 14 2009

I send an email with info,
                              info is the carb is a holley 1850-3 (4160)
                              original cast iron intake is C4SE 9425-A 4E22:
                              my engine is build up from different parts from different years according the casting numbers.
                              sigpicGreets,
                              Ronald
                              Kuusamo

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎