X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BEVS BIRD
    Apprentice
    • Sep 30 2016

small white plastic tooth pieces in my 59 cruise o matic pan

HI FELLOW T/BIRD LOVERS have 59 H/TOP cruise o matic. I have been reading this site for some time and am a new member..I am putting new pan gskt on trans and found a chunk of white plastic...arc shaped with what appears to be small teeth on it..NO OTHER DEBRIS .Any ideas what it is and how to fix? and is it the start of trans failure?? This bird was bought new in San Diego, left to my girl and has 56000 miles.Full load a/c p/w Colonial white with the beauty turquoise/white interior..I am also upgrading rd draft to PCV and a full front power disc set up from Master Power ..Any help on the pieces in the trans would be much appreciated CHEERS TERRY
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Mine's a '64 and as I recall the only plastic is the speedometer gear. Is yours working?

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yadkin is correct. The only plastic is the speedometer gear. I would pull the cable off and see if it's in one piece.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• BEVS BIRD
        Apprentice
        • Sep 30 2016

Plastic debris in trans pan

Hi guys thnx for the insight.. The car is on stands so not mobile ,Speedo was working OK,but I will pull speedo cable and check gear..I will advise CHEERS TERRY

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

Could that plastic debris be part of a cap/retaining ring that came loose when someone was adding fluid or an additive?

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

The old gear probably broke inside the case and was replaced without the mechanic pulling the pan to get it out. Why would he? It's not going to do any harm, since it would just sit on the bottom of the pan or get stuck on the pump filter.

Comment

• olevet
              Experienced
              • Jan 28 2015

Can you post a Pic?
              There were small plastic plugs in some Trans that were there for shipping to keep junk out . But the filler tube screws into the side so no idea with out a Pic

Comment

• BEVS BIRD
                Apprentice
                • Sep 30 2016

PIX of plastic debris in Cruise o matic

pleases see attcd pix of plastic stuFf in trans pan CHEERS TERRY
                Attached Files

Comment

• Tbird1044
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 31 2012

Looks like a speedo gear to me. Very possible, over time, the speedo gear disintegrated and somebody just replaced the gear to get the speedo working again. The filter should stop parts from getting into the transmission, however, personally I would have pulled the pan and cleaned any parts out.
                  Nyles

Comment

• olevet
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 28 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                    Looks like a speedo gear to me. Very possible, over time, the speedo gear disintegrated and somebody just replaced the gear to get the speedo working again. The filter should stop parts from getting into the transmission, however, personally I would have pulled the pan and cleaned any parts out.
                    Nyles
                    You nailed it,

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎