Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btiberend
    • Sep 3 2013

need help identifying these parts???

I am 100% pretty close to firing up the 1962 dirty bird, I went thru and completely rebuilt the top end of my FE 390' rebuilt the heads, new valves and such, a little bowl work , and cleaned em up. New lifters, and push rods.I have her all back together now now I have a few questions on the remaining holes in the intake manifold, there is what looks like a vacuum hole that takes some sort of fitting' its just of and the tbe passenger side of the carb.... the other one is right behind the distributor? Any pics of how these set up would be of great assistance
    Attached Files
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The top picture is showing an open and rather large vacuum fitting for your brake booster. The bottom picture is showing your temperature sending unit without the wire attached. There is another sending unit that goes by the oil filter for your 'OIL' light. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• btiberend
      • Sep 3 2013

Thanks again dave...
      The brake booster fitting looks rather large? It does look as if it was replced to rig it up an make do at one time. Where could I get that brake booster fitting (the right one) and would that keep me from firing up?

The temperature sending unit? Where would that wire connect?

Thanks again

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

The booster fitting looks stock. You need it that large.

As for the temp sending unit; there is a red-white wire coming from your firewall that slips on top of that sending unit. It runs your TEMP gauge.

When you install your engine, make double-sure you have good grounds. Even the band that goes around the coil has a tit that 'digs' into the coil case. Make sure the coil is bare at that point. I run my battery NEG to my bell housing, close to the starter motor, not to the water pump. You should have a ground strap on the driver's side head, that connects to the firewall. This is important. Electricity takes the path of least resistance. You don't want current from your lamps and accessories, going through bearings (u-joints, etc.), trying to return to the battery. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• btiberend
          • Sep 3 2013

Bake booster, thanks good to know, I cant wait to get home tonight and seeif iI can find where he connects.

Red/ wire.... I think I know that wire... it has a push-on style connector?

I am also going to check the battery ground wire, I dont think it's running to the bell housing right now. I do have a ground strap coming off the firewall but I have him tied down at the intake manifold thru-bolt to head on the rear passenger side.

Getting excited about firing her up

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎