X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

moaning when I turn the stering wheel

I just got my intake manifold gasket installed at the Ford dealership now Iam happy. Went out this morning and when I pulled into the drive way I heard a slight moan when I turn the stering wheel. I have sufficient fluid in the reservor. Maybe its something I ate the previous night. Is this something to be concerned about. The car turns without a problem. Thanks Larry

Hey Larry,
    Sounds like a power steering pump problem! It may be just air in the lines, but I doubt it! Some of the other guys maybe able to give you better advise!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Richard Hord is right. Sometimes the power steering needs to get all the air out of the lines. Do that by turning your steering wheel all the way left and right. I like doing it while the front end is up in the air. You can also do it while rolling slow in a big parking lot.

Power steering pump gauges read between 900-1,500-psi of fluid force. That requires a lot of engine ponies when it's happening. What sounds like a groan is the pump under lots of pressure, (usually while the engine speed is going slow).

If you don't have any more air in the system, and your steering works just fine, check the return line for a restriction. If you have a filter that is half clogged, same story. Some noise is normal. - Dave
      Last edited by simplyconnected; August 22, 2010, 06:53 PM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

moaning with the stering wheel being turned

Thanks Dave for your input. Ill take it out tomorrow and slowly drive it and turn the stering all the way to the left and right and then see. Larry

Comment

• bullitbird63
          • Sep 6 2010

Moaning steering

Hi Larry i had a 63 Tbird when i was in England and i had a moaning steering problem, turned out to be the idler arm bush was almost solid in its idler arm, and it was the force of the power steering over coming the seizure inside it, i cured it by getting a new idler arm assembly.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎