No announcement yet.

Brakes loosing fluid.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes loosing fluid.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I fired the old girl up for the first time this spring and got ready to move her. The brake pedal went to the floor. The master cylinder was empty. It was full when I parked her last fall. There were no puddles on the floor and the guy I got her from said he went right through the brakes. I filled the master cylinder and took her to my mechanic. He couldn't find a leak. It's holding good pressure now. Would something let go just from setting over the winter? She's in a heated garage so temperature changes shouldn't be a problem. My mechanic told me to drive it, too many problems tend to come up just from sitting.
    Any ideas??
    Thanks.
    Joe
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

It might have bled back into ur pwr brk booster (under dash).
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• seven up

haven't had that problem yet. Could have been air in the system from the brakes being gone through...and that there were no puddles. How's the level now after driving around ? Sure hope it's not the underdash booster filling up.

Enjoy

Comment

The fluid level is fine now. Remembering when I got it last year the fluid level was low, this time it was just about dry. How would I know if it's leaking inside? There is no smell of brake fluid and no sign of any fluid on either side of the firewall.
        Thanks.
        Joe

Comment

Pull all the wheels and pull the dust boot back on the wheel cylinders a little bit. The worst thing we do to these cars is let um sit. Just a thought

Comment

If I pull the wheels and pull the dust boots back, what will that tell me?
            Thanks.
            Joe

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by joe1946
              If I pull the wheels and pull the dust boots back, what will that tell me?
              Thanks.
              Joe
              On my 65, it explained why the rear brakes tended to grab when I bought it. The cynl were leaking brake fluid real bad because the cynl were rusted and pited beyond hope from just sitting and not being used enough. Installed two new cynl bought at the local parts store for $20 and the brakes work like a true champ.

Comment

We found the problem. The master cylinder was leaking into the booster. I've got a new master cylinder and booster coming from Pat Wilsons in NJ. He was the first one I talked to that didn't want me to send in my master cylinder/booster and wait 3-4 weeks for them to return it.
                Joe

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎