X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

Edelbrock carbs and non-PCV

For those of you who have replaced your stock carbs with Edelbrocks, how did you handle the PCV port on the carb if you DON'T have a PCV system? Does it simply remain an open port?
    I had an Edelbrock on my '64 Galaxie but it had a PCV setup.

thanks.
    Casey
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Just cap the PCV port if it is unused. You will lose vacuum if you leave it open.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• 6TB1RD
      Experienced
      • Apr 9 2006

Brakes

I snaked it around and connected it to my brakes looks better then just a cap. I used a cap at first but found it to be a poor choice due to the heat it deteriorated fast.

another option if you are running Vacuum wipers hook it up to them, vacuum line size reducers are not that expensive

I connected the PCV to the back of the spacer under the carb.
      George (Papa of 9)
      1960 H/T :rolleyes:
      Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
      sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

My 390 has the orig Ford spacer plate. It worked with the Holley and the Edelbrock I have now.
        The later Edel/carbs have the capped off fitting for it. They are made to be as universal as possible. The Edelbrock is the Best carb on the market Bar none !!!! It used to be you could take one out of the box and run it. They have metered them a little leaner these days (Thanks EPA jerks !!) But once you spend the hour and dial it in . . . Can't beat em. Plus you can't tell it's on there once you have the big bed pan air cleaner on there.
        Just my .02

Comment

• thunderbird61
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2 2007

Hi!

just a litle question about edelbrock carbs, which of them fits the 390 engine? I'm replacing my Road Demon, and would like to use an edelbrock...

/Ronny

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by thunderbird61
            Hi!

just a litle question about edelbrock carbs, which of them fits the 390 engine? I'm replacing my Road Demon, and would like to use an edelbrock...

/Ronny
            I am running a 625 Carter, which I think is the same thing as the edelbrock. It runs well, is very snappy. I have a Road Demon sitting on the work bench also, thing worked okay for about 6 months and then it went completly into the toilet. I was running it on my 455 and it started drowning the motor every time the thing sat longer than a hour. Also tried it on the 390 and it did the same thing, gave up and run a small Holly on the 455 and the carter on the 390.

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

Carter had the 625cfm and the Edelbrock is the 600cfm. There is also a 750cfm available, if u have done any other performance engine mod's. Both came in manual or Electric choke options.
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 28 2004

I believe it's the 1904. W/Elec choke. The 750 is too big for a (stock) 352 or 390. If you had a big cam & opened the exh up, the 750 would be fine. I'll bet she'd be a hog though. 8 mpg or something. I get 14/17 all the time.
                AND when I put my foot in it, that car jumps all over itself gettin outta the way. It's a kick actually.

Comment

• thunderbird61
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 2 2007

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                  I believe it's the 1904. W/Elec choke. The 750 is too big for a (stock) 352 or 390. If you had a big cam & opened the exh up, the 750 would be fine. I'll bet she'd be a hog though. 8 mpg or something. I get 14/17 all the time.
                  AND when I put my foot in it, that car jumps all over itself gettin outta the way. It's a kick actually.
                  Thanks! I found this at summitracing.com, is it this type you mean?

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

That's it. The new ones have the fitting for the pcv. My earlier one doesnt.I have the orig Ford setup on mine. About $30 worth of parts, counting the vented oil cap . I can email pics.

Get it. You'll love it.

Comment

• thunderbird61
                      Apprentice
                      • Jan 2 2007

That's it. The new ones have the fitting for the pcv. My earlier one doesnt.I have the orig Ford setup on mine. About $30 worth of parts, counting the vented oil cap . I can email pics.

Get it. You'll love it.
                      Thanks for the info! It fits my 61 390 right? Is there anything else I need to get this fitted?

I love this site, always someone who knows their stuff :-)

/ronny

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

Bolt it on, fire it up, adj the idle. Oh, put the air cleaner on. There are tabs on the bottom of the stock Ford air cleaner to hold it in place on the stk carb. You will have to bend those around because the top of the Edel is flat. You will also have to fabricate a fuel line. I just remembered that.

Other n' that, you're done. Weld the hood shut . . . No more carb issues.

Comment

• thunderbird61
                          Apprentice
                          • Jan 2 2007

Bolt it on, fire it up, adj the idle. Oh, put the air cleaner on. There are tabs on the bottom of the stock Ford air cleaner to hold it in place on the stk carb. You will have to bend those around because the top of the Edel is flat. You will also have to fabricate a fuel line. I just remembered that.

Other n' that, you're done. Weld the hood shut . . . No more carb issues.
                          Nice, then I wil run and buy one :-) And then try to lure some fool to buy the Road Demon, hehe

Thanks for all the info.

/Ronny

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎