Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len bloomberg
    • Feb 9 2012

fuel gauge

hey guys.i am new to the site. i live in fort macleod alberta about 135 miles south of calgary.i just purchased a squarebird 1958.it is a restored show car.i think i got a screamin deal. 13,000.00. fuel gauge doesnt work. any thoughts on where to start??is there anything there that was a major problem or is it just when the car was finished some years ago they didnt hook it up.also it doesnt go into park properly and it scares the bejeebers out of me.i seem to be fishing for park .i have owned a couple cruise a matics over the years but this one seems excptionaly bad in the park lincage dept.i would like to think it parked better than this when it was new and i gotta fix it.i see someone had installed a micro lock way under he dash to mickey mouse fix it but i am not happy with it.please help.len
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Shift plate:

http://www.squarebirds.org./detent_thunderbird.htm

fuel gauge? lift the mat in your trunk and see if the wire is hooked up. There is a little round sheet metal cover in the center of your trunk floor that will need to be removed in order to see it. Then you should get yourself a copy of the Ford Shop Manual for your new car. It has a whole section on this topic.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Hey Len,
      Does your temp gauge work? If not it maybe a bad CVR!

To add what greg said, when checking the sending unit in the truck. Also make sure the retaining ring is grounded! Rust and paint sometimes cause grounding problems on these old cars.
      ANYTIME YOU ARE WORKING WITH THE GAS TANK HAVE A GOOD FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEARBY!!!
      Richard D. Hord
      Last edited by Guest; February 18, 2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Column:
        Your steering tube may have slipped or shifted. Follow the Shop Manual. Loosen two large bolts at the dash and move the outer shell to its proper place.

Sending unit:
        Richard's right. I usually go to an un-used corner of the gas tank, away from the seam weld, and drill a hole for a small screw. 8-32 is plenty big enough. Use a bolt and nut to tightly bond (connect) a copper stranded wire with a ring terminal staked-on. Connect the other end of this bonding jumper to a good ground, preferably on the chassis. Then, you may check the operation of the gauge. If you need more help, ask. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• len bloomberg
          • Feb 9 2012

fuel gauge and shifter

many thanks for your help.where can i get a good shop manual.i have one for my 50 meteor and use it all the time but it came with the car.

Comment

Hey Len,
            They have them posted several times on Ebay! I bought a original and have used it so much the spine was broke and coming apart! I just got me a reproduction a little while ago. I will also keep an I out for one and let you know!
            Richard D. Hord

P.S. Found a shop/service manual, Ebay item #130650187846
            Last edited by Guest; February 18, 2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Mickfly70
              Apprentice
              • Oct 20 2010

I got myself a manual off ebay for $25 plus about $10 S&H. So the one that Richard suggested (for $26.12 + 12.86) sounds like a fair deal.

Mine originally sold for $3.00 in 1960.

The manual is a very good resource but this forum plus the technical links and advice from keen members is all you need. Plus a good attitude.

My 2 (canadian) cents
              Mick Egan Vancouver Island Canada
              60 Tbird

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

All Vendors sell them. Larrys take 36.36 for it. It´s always good to keep one in the car if anything happend during driving.
                Last edited by Anders; February 19, 2012, 02:52 AM.
                sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• len bloomberg
                  • Feb 9 2012

shop manual

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                  Hey Len,
                  They have them posted several times on Ebay! I bought a original and have used it so much the spine was broke and coming apart! I just got me a reproduction a little while ago. I will also keep an I out for one and let you know!
                  Richard D. Hord

P.S. Found a shop/service manual, Ebay item #130650187846
                  thanks richard.len

Comment

• JohnG
                    John
                    • Jul 28 2003

Does your temperature gauge work?? (at all)

If Yes, this helps narrow the Fuel Gauge problem down as they both run off the same 6V power supply.

If No then you need to get out a multimeter and see if there is any voltage being supplied to either gauge.

Once that is addressed, then you run into a very common problem in old cars: poor grounding. This happens due to corrorsion and painting. No grounds should be taken for granted. Simple things like sandpaper, files, Dremls and so on can remedy them, while a small set of jumper cables can help decide.

Common locations of this problem are: temp sending unit, fuel sending unit, and antennae at the least.

Part of getting your car back in good shape is establishing lots of good electrical connections.
                    1958 Hardtop
                    #8452 TBird Registry
                    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                    history:
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Len welcome and also glad to see another 58 in Alberta. If you need anything going through your process send me a PM e-mail and I can give you my phone number up here in Calgary. There are many resources as you can see on our site
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• len bloomberg
                        • Feb 9 2012

thanks for the info john. i have a shop manual ordered and am not gonna do to much till i get it.len

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

fuel gauge

Hi Len, while you are waiting for your shop manual to come in, check out the Technical Resource Library (TRL) and read up on adjusting the fuel/temp gauge, troubleshooting it, and the Constant Voltage Regulator (CVR) unit. It might be defective and need a replacement. You can get them from the Tbird parts houses, but if you do, ask where it was made at. I am told that the ones made in China can have problems. I went the electronic route with mine the last time it went out.

The link to the TRL is always part of my signature element. Just click on the link to go there.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎