X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Cigar Lighter Fuse

I found a NOS cigar lighter fuse on Ebay. I've looked at the posts, but can't figure out how to remove the fuse from the unit. I can't put pliers or any wrench on it from behind. You shouldn't have to pull the entire instrument bezel for this-I hope.

Can someone make my day and tell me how to get the lighter and/or fuse out?
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dean hit the search button at the top of the page and enter the following. " cigarette lighter fuse " and then select a couple of the threads from Alexander and Sal.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

The fuse simply unscrews.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
        Super-Experienced
        • Nov 26 2015

Thank you both. I got the fuse off. Only took 3 separate attempts.

I wish it 'simply unscrewed'. It took a #10 Craftsman easy out with a 1/2" drive rachet and appropriate socket to unscrew that 56 year old fuse. Then of course, a new element was necessary, but this is really for today's Iphone purposes.

With that my car is fully functional!

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

You put a 1/2" drive socket on a #10 screw?
          I can understand that steel rusts but that's what Liquid Wrench is for. Spray, let it sit for a while then finesse it out by turning by hand. Every one I've ever seen came out without using tools IF you turn in the correct direction.

An Easy-Out? So you broke the threads off in the fuse (which is really a circuit breaker)? At that point, you need a new lighter socket and a new fuse.

NAPA sells the socket assemblies. K-Mart and other discount stores used to sell lighter assemblies (along with new fuses) in the Automotive aisle. The same socket and fuse fits many brands of cars.

The following 'fuse' has a reset hole for a paper clip:
          Attached Files

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

I used a 1/2 inch drive rachet because of the socket that fit the bolt out. I didn't break anything nor did I damage the old fuse. Believe me when I say the fuse wasn't turning. Plus I really don't like spraying degreaser behind the panel.

I see the reset hole now on the old one. Too bad I didn't know about it. Why would I want to replace an old PIA fuse that stills works? I already had a replacement.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you are back in business regardless of how you got there.

Maybe I read too much into your post but we normally use an Easy-Out in a broken bolt hole that is drilled. #10 is tiny.

I hope you disconnected a battery lead before going under the dash. Ray hired a mechanic who set his dash on fire when it could have been avoided by disconnecting the battery. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

Sorry, it was a bolt out that fit over the fuse. It had bite to turn the fuse out.

Yeah, I Learned long ago to disconnect the positive battery lead. I fried The electric clock lead on a 1980 Corvette printed circuit. I repaired it with a small wire.

I thought in both cases I was thinking out of the box.

Comment

• Deanj
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Nov 26 2015

Dielectric Grease

A word of advice for anyone with cigar lighter issues: My lighter stopped functioning after I got it working, briefly, over 2 months ago. I removed the original fuse and connected the power source directly to the receptacle and the lighter worked. A new fuse made no difference, but dielectric grease on both ends of the original fuse did the trick. Not that I'm smoking, but your Smart Phone needs re-charging these days especially when using the GPS function.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎