X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1965TbirdMan
    Apprentice
    • Mar 17 2010

Choke Tube?

I was recently working on my 4100 Autolite on my 65 thunderbird and noticed a tube running out of my carb i believe its called the choke tube, not the vacuum advance line. The tube looked like it ran down to the manifold but wasnt hooked up and just hanging together by a thread, where exactly does it go so when i order the knew one I will know where to hook it up, Thanks
  • KULTULZ

Below are photos of a 1960 but the routing is the same-

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
      I was recently working on my 4100 Autolite on my 65 thunderbird and noticed a tube running out of my carb i believe its called the choke tube, not the vacuum advance line. The tube looked like it ran down to the manifold but wasnt hooked up and just hanging together by a thread, where exactly does it go so when i order the knew one I will know where to hook it up, Thanks
      On a '65 there should be two tubes coming from the passenger side exhaust manifold: the one mentiond by Kulutz for the choke assembly, and another (without insulation) that goes to the bottom side of the air cleaner. This allows filtered air to be pulled from inside the air cleaner through the exhaust manifold and up to the choke housing. The pictures of the '60 that Kulutz posted show the '62-earlier configuration which used a small U-shaped tube that goes over and down the back side of the manifold to draw air into the manifold and then to the choke.
      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA

On a '65 there should be two tubes coming from the passenger side exhaust manifold: the one mentiond by Kulutz for the choke assembly, and another (without insulation) that goes to the bottom side of the air cleaner. This allows filtered air to be pulled from inside the air cleaner through the exhaust manifold and up to the choke housing. The pictures of the '60 that Kulutz posted show the '62-earlier configuration which used a small U-shaped tube that goes over and down the back side of the manifold to draw air into the manifold and then to the choke.
        Good Point here and I should have clarified. I would think someone makes a dedicated kit to restore a mid-sixties FE. Shown is a kit for a later sixties FE-

Kulutz???

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
          Apprentice
          • Mar 17 2010

Other than the vacuum advacne line, and the choke tube what other lines come out of the carb that could be a factor in back firing or running correctly if any

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
            Other than the vacuum advacne line, and the choke tube what other lines come out of the carb that could be a factor in back firing or running correctly if any
            On a 4100? Isn't that it, seems like it is a very basic carb. I have one sitting loose on the 64, another one at a friends to be rebuilt for Lola. another two in pieces in a box.....

You would have your float level to make sure it is set right, other than that, I am less than no help at all

Moved the olds out of the shop on Sunday and found a 4100 Choke tube laying on the floor under the olds....

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎