No announcement yet.

steering box

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering box

I'm in need of a new/rebuilt steering box for my 69 Fairlane. I've heard that Mustang and Fairlane were pretty much interchangable. I can't seem to find a source for a Fairlane box. I was wondering if I should start looking for a Mustang box. Any Ideas would be welcome.
    Thanks.
    Joe

Can't you rebuild It? I've done a couple in my day and if the gears aren't chiped you just have to find a kit. NAPA is were I used to buy everything and I mean EVERTHING.

Comment

NAPA shows nothing, I mean nothing on their computer. No box, no kit , no reference. Dead end. At the least I was hoping for a kit to rebuild. It looks like I'm going to have to go for a used item, just something I don't want to do.
      Thanks for the input.
      Joe

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

How about this one on E-Bay?

66 67 68 69 70 71 FAIRLANE TORINO STEERING BOX (REBUILT) Item number: 300246179393
        Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430
        Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Bart, Good eye, I would have never found that one. I can get basically the same deal with Mac's. They will rebuild mine for anywhere between $189 to $379 and take 3-5 weeks to do it.
          I've found a guy in Texas that sounds much more reasonable. All I've got to do is figure out how to get it out of the car.
          I'm trying to do this as cheap as I can, I've got way too much cash in this car already(unlike the 60 Bird that hasn't had any major problems yet).
          Thanks for the help.
          Joe

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

Joe:

Can you tell me who that was in Texas. I live in Texas, so it would be good for me to know.

Thanks
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

Try out these guys, they have T-Bird rebuilt steering boxes that are reasonable.

sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Bart, His name is Randle Meyer. His site is strangerssite.com. His address is:
                Precision Products
                24165 IH-10 West
                Suite 217-282
                San Antonio, TX 78257-1159
                His site pretty much explains what he does and he's the least expensive guy that I've found so far. He says he's right out straight and working 7 days a week now with a two week back log. He's been very easy to deal with so far. I'll know more when I can get the box down to him and when I see it come back.
                Joe

Comment

• bcomo
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 23 2005

Thanks Joe. Looks like they are right here in my town.

Let me know how the rebuild goes.
                  Bart
                  1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Does anyone have a detailed description on how the steering box comes out?? My mechanic offered to come over to my place and help me do it but I don't want to think what it's gonna cost.
                    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                    I'm not going to say how much more responsive this site is compared to the Fairlane site.
                    You guys are the best.
                    Thanks.
                    Joe

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

steering box

Hi Joe!

I hope one of our more technical guys comes wandering by quickly and can answer your question. If I were to try and tell you, you would probably be taking off your glove box instead! We have some really sharp guys here who know their stuff. Since it is the weekend, a lot of them are either burning up the road with their TBirds (especially those in the North who had them cooped up in their nests all winter) or are working on them. Since our Squarebirds are kissing cuzzins to your car, they should be similar in taking that box off. Hopefully, someone will come along soon and tell ya how to do it! Thanks for the compliment. We have a great bunch of guys here, across the world.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Would the Fairlane be close enough to the square bird so my Bird manual woud give me a pretty good idea on how it came out?
                        Thanks.
                        Joe

Comment

Hi All,
                          I found a steering box through Advanced Auto. The only problem is it's manual steering. I'm hoping I can change over to manual from the power assist. Has anyone ever done this or have any reason why it can't be done? Different Pitman arm or antthing like that?
                          Thanks.
                          Joe

Comment

The ongoing saga of power assist steering. I didn't rebuild, we found a rebuilt box and it helped the steering a lot. On main roads it feels fine but on back roads it feels strange like it wants to jump side to side. We've rebuilt the power assist cylinder and can't figure out what else to fix/replace in the system. The only thing left is the center link. I could change that and make it manual steering. Any ideas out there?
                            Thanks.
                            Joe

Comment

• KULTULZ

If you went with a manual box on power assist car, you will need to change everything over to manual linkage. The PS valve and cyl are going to give you fits.

There was a changeover piece that replaces the control valve for a cheap changeover, but I would try and do it correctly. Save the PS system and put it on EvilBay if you do not want it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎