X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Husky35
    Apprentice
    • Jun 29 2006

Front suspension parts

Hey guys, I am putting together my front end and seem to be missing one of the lower control arm pivot pins. They are the long pins that the the bolt goes into to put together the lower control arms. I also seem to be missing the spacers too (both sides). Are these available anywhere? Anyone have an extra?

Another question, there wee two rubber doughnuts that sat against the frame between the washer and the frame. Are these neccessary? Doesn't look like there is room with the new bushings. Heeelllllpppppp!!!!!
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Rich:

Here is a link to the front end rebuild photos that Doug (dgs) did:

I don't see anything except bolts in the "lower A-Arm". Do you mean "upper A-Arm"? Here is a view of all of the parts:

I have a set of the Upper A-Arm shafts if you need them.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Meridious
      Experienced
      • Nov 16 2007

I have 2 extra lower-control-arm shaft-bolts left from my rebuild. They are not new (don't make em' anymore).

One goes through the front frame and the other through engine cross-member....and slide into the lower control-arm bushings, and then a bolt is entered.

Comment

• Husky35
        Apprentice
        • Jun 29 2006

Lower control arm pins

That would be great. Are they reusable? Were you able to find new ones? Please email me at clasen@fidalgo.net

Are the pins different for front and back? Do you have an extra set of spacers?

Rich

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

Rich -- I didn't see that yours is a 59. I quess that there is a difference from 59 to 60.
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Meridious
            Experienced
            • Nov 16 2007

Originally posted by Husky35
            That would be great. Are they reusable? Were you able to find new ones? Please email me at clasen@fidalgo.net

Are the pins different for front and back? Do you have an extra set of spacers?

Rich
            Yes, they are in good shape. I don't have the spacers, but in my 1960 shop manual parts-listing, it shows 3 spacers on the passenger side against the frame, between the control-arm bushing and the frame (not the engine-crossmember.) and that is correct as to what I removed from mine.

I think the spacers can be possibly be substituted for properly sized and thick washers, but I don't know. Looking at them, that is what they seem to be....gigantor washers.

I will try to get some photos of the shafts this evening and post them.

I paid $12 each from them from Pat Wilson's. Mine were seized in the frame and cross-member and nothing would budge a couple of them...not even heat and a 15lb sledge-hammer. (had to do some cutting) but I bought a whole set of 4 just in case. I have one-each for the frame and the cross-member.

Comment

• dgs
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by Meridious
              ... in my 1960 shop manual parts-listing, it shows 3 spacers on the passenger side against the frame, between the control-arm bushing and the frame (not the engine-crossmember.) ...
              I think had 3 spacer's on the driver's side (2 thick and 1 thin) and the passenger side had only the 2 thick. The picture linked above is the passenger side, showing only 2 spacers. I was able to get them all back in, but it didn't look like I would be able to at first. Took some fenagling.
              DGS (aka salguod)
              1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
              www.salguod.net

Comment

• Meridious
                Experienced
                • Nov 16 2007

Originally posted by dgs
                I think had 3 spacer's on the driver's side (2 thick and 1 thin) and the passenger side had only the 2 thick. The picture linked above is the passenger side, showing only 2 spacers. I was able to get them all back in, but it didn't look like I would be able to at first. Took some fenagling.
                Hmmm, mine had ONE (thin) on the driver's side and 3 (thick) on the pass side.

I guess that they can be different per production?

Comment

• ncbird
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 5 2008

spacers

I guess I dont know which spacers you are talking about. These arent the alignment shims are they? Rectangular with slots at the bottom?
                  Thanks Grant
                  Last edited by ncbird; April 18, 2008, 09:44 AM.
                  Grant
                  NCbird on the Coast of NC
                  "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• Meridious
                    Experienced
                    • Nov 16 2007

Originally posted by ncbird
                    I guess I dont know which spacers you are talking about. These arent the alignment shims are they? Rectangular with slots at the bottom?
                    Thanks Grant

Lower control arm...where the shaft slides into the bushings...through the front frame and through the engine cross-member. There are thick and thin shims/spacers that resemble large washers simply because they slip around a shaft.

Comment

• Husky35
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 29 2006

chicken little????

I had a false alarm. I found my other pin at the body shop. So thanks for the offer Meridious, but don't need them yet. I still don't know what to do about the spacers. The guy putting my front end together doesn't think there is any room.

Rich

Comment

• bcomo
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 23 2005

The 60 Shop Manual (Page 8-9) on installing the lower A-Arm, says to install shims "as needed to remove fore-aft movement".

On my 60, each lower A-Arm only has one spacer on the rear cross member side. So, the way I understand it, it's whatever it takes, if any at all, so that it doesn't move front to back.
                        Bart
                        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Meridious
                          Experienced
                          • Nov 16 2007

Yeah, my shop manual says that as well. I was looking at a parts ID layout and miracled it into my head that there was supposed to be 3 on the frame-side because of the silly picture.

bleh.

Just for reference, here is the parts ID layout I have for the 58-60 suspension:

Comment

• bcomo
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 23 2005

That's interesting. This is the one that I was going by for the 60. That's the way mine was when I took it apart.

Bart
                            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎