No announcement yet.

Tranny fluid leaking at bottom of dipstick

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny fluid leaking at bottom of dipstick

I am leaking tranny fluid at the bottom of my tranny dipstick where the tube meets the tranny. It appears the tube wiggles a bit. How does the tube mount to the tranny and how can I repair that?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If it's the original cruise-o-matic the dip stick tube screws into the pan. You may just need to tighten it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• pcjr
      Apprentice
      • Aug 27 2012

Can I ask a favor of you? I had a modification done where a third party shortened the tube which holds the transmission dipstick. They have now lost the piece they cut off and I no longer know how much to cut off the dipstick to give me an accurate reading of the fluid level. Would it be possible for you to measure the length of the tube so I can determine how much I need to cut off the dipstick? Any help is greatly appreciated

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

According to the Ford parts book the tube is approx 23 9/16".

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Dan.loeb
          I am leaking tranny fluid at the bottom of my tranny dipstick where the tube meets the tranny. It appears the tube wiggles a bit. How does the tube mount to the tranny and how can I repair that?
          It's a large flare fitting. Work the nut back and forth with a large open-end wrench and if you feel grit in there then you'll need to loosen it up a bit, and hopefully the grit will wash out as the fluid drains through the loose joint. You can then tighten it up and hope for the best.

If it continues to leak you'll have to drain the pan and clean the flare by hand. Examine the contact areas carefully. This is a good opportunity to drop the pan, install a new filter and clean out crud inside the pan. I use a smear of copper RTV on the flare fitting contact surfaces to seal it.

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I also had a slight leak at the dip stick tube. When I drained the trans and changed the shift seals, I took a good look at the dip stick tube. I found a small crack in the tube by the 90 where it goes into the trans. I cleaned it up, soldered it and all has been good. I also made sure that there was no strain on the upper support bracket and that it was firmly tightened to the head. If anyone has ever removed the top bracket and tried to move the tube out of the way, it is easy to crack the tube. Just something else to check.
            Nyles

Comment

• pcjr
              Apprentice
              • Aug 27 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
              According to the Ford parts book the tube is approx 23 9/16".

John
              Thanks John. That is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎