Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shawncfc
    • May 13 2018

Fuel sender unit

Has anyone used the sending unit sold by macs auto on a 58? They have one that says universal so I'm wondering if it would drop right in or do I have to make it fit. Or maybe there is one available somewhere else that works better
  • Hogan
    Apprentice
    • May 21 2016

You may want to try RockAuto

Spectra pn: FG98A

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Buy one from Rockauto.com. They have two listed. Both are identical to the original plus we get a 5% discount.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Shawncfc
        • May 13 2018

Thanks I ordered the one for 59 bucks. Hope it comes with a gasket

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

I had the fuel sending unit replaced with the new fuel tank installation. Is there a way to calibrate the sending unit other than trial and error?

The old unit only read to 3/4 full with a full tank, but the tank still had gas when the gauge read close to E. The new sending unit reads F when full, but the tank is 3/4 empty at the 1/2 mark.

Dean

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fuel sender unit

Dean, the information on adjusting the Fuel and Temperature gauge is in the Technical Resource Library (TRL). Here is the link to it. Check it out.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g..._adjusting.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

Dean:
              I has some similar issues and finally figured out I had the wrong sending unit. Bought another one and things worked fine.
              I did check the sending unit when it was out of the gas tank by hooking it up and moving the float from the full down to full up position to see how the gauge would respond. There is a slow response time so take your time if you decide to check it this way. I think it is an easier step than messing with the gas gauge itself.
              I can't remember if the sending unit is oriented with a tab for position in the tank, but I think it is. As I recall, the float arm should be pointing towards the front of the car. If not it could be bottoming on the bottom of the tank and not reading the gas level. Just a thought.
              Also the manual says to use 2 flashlight batteries (3V) and connect that to the fuel gauge. With the 3V supplied it should read "approximately full".
              Nyles
              Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

Thanks Ray and Nyles.

I recall the previous owner explaining he set the sending unit so the tank wouldn’t be empty before the needle pointed to E. So he had a problem with the tank going empty prior to the needle pointing to E. That’s why he adjusted the sender so he wouldn’t run out of fuel when the gauge read 1/4.

I suppose it is possible that when my gauge reads half, I might have about 7 gallons left, or so. That’s just an estimate. And the gauge runs to E normally.

Dean

Comment

• Shawncfc
                  • May 13 2018

Yep hole in the float. Thanks for the suggestions on the new sending unit. Fit right in . 5 minutes and done. Now to see how accurate it is.

Comment

• Shawncfc
                    • May 13 2018

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                    Dean:
                    I has some similar issues and finally figured out I had the wrong sending unit. Bought another one and things worked fine.
                    I did check the sending unit when it was out of the gas tank by hooking it up and moving the float from the full down to full up position to see how the gauge would respond. There is a slow response time so take your time if you decide to check it this way. I think it is an easier step than messing with the gas gauge itself.
                    I can't remember if the sending unit is oriented with a tab for position in the tank, but I think it is. As I recall, the float arm should be pointing towards the front of the car. If not it could be bottoming on the bottom of the tank and not reading the gas level. Just a thought.
                    Also the manual says to use 2 flashlight batteries (3V) and connect that to the fuel gauge. With the 3V supplied it should read "approximately full".
                    Nyles
                    Nyles
                    When i took the old one out the float was towards the filler neck.

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

Sending unit should have a tab and when lined up the float would then point toward the filler neck.

Here's my old tank replacement article - looks like I forgot to mention that the float points toward the filler neck but should only go one way if the tab is aligned. Guess there could be a replacement sending unit without the tab that would make it confusing.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...eplacement.htm

Comment

• Deanj
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Nov 26 2015

Thanks Eric. I would think the float wouldn't seal the top of the tank if that tab wasn't aligned. You sure can't tell from smelling gas because these cars smell of gas when everything is buttoned up properly.

Dean

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎