No announcement yet.

generator to alternator conversion problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

generator to alternator conversion problems

Hello everyone, another question about the Bird. I did the generator to alternator conversion a while back and I've been having problems ever since. It won't charge! I can go 2-5 days and the battery will be dead. I'm getting tired of switching batteries! I've heard about 10 different ways to wire the alternator up and none of them have worked so far. I've heard I need grounding straps (have two), different ways to wire it, etc. If anyone's done this conversion, could you give me a picture of your setup so I can get mine right. If no picture, could you describe it? I would appreciate it very much! Arthur Ash
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: generator to alternator conversion problems

I bought an alternator to put in a Squarebird, but have never have done it.

Perhaps this article on a 1956 Ford alternator conversion will be helpful to you: http://www.ranchwagon.com/tech/alt/alt.htm .

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

RE: generator to alternator conversion problems

Dear Aurther
      I too did this conversion and have found the same problem!!!. I have been told that the alternator is not man enough to do the job and will make a small drain on the battery. I have been told that the battery will not start to recharge untill it hits 14 volts from the alternator. The volt meter only reads 13.45 volts and no more so yes the alternator is doing its job but not topping up the battery.
      The alternator is from one of our Jags so the power ratio was fine according to records. The battery was install new( interstate batteries)when i purchase my TBird two year ago before being shipped to England. So my new electrician has rebuilt my old generator and i have a new regulator box so its being put back to original.
      The only he said to me is some cars convert well to a alternator and some dont,yours dont!.
      I know this may sound like no help but iam fead-up changing batteries.
      Kev 60 Sunroof.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎