• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

How many miles 'old' is your engine?
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Daleo56
      Experienced
      • Dec 27 2014

I can only assume the odometer of 07330 was 107,330 based on the age of the car.

The PCV valve was stuck so I replaced it. I also decided to spend the day at the shop and run a bunch of checks. All of the cylinders were between 135-145 on the compression test and all the plugs were clean. I also used my borescope on each cylinder and they visibly checked out ok.

Anyone know what those two notches are on the cylinders in picture one?

We also degreased the engine and found the oil leak. It is coming from the oil valley and intake manifold. That explains why oil was on the hood but not on the fan. It looks like I will have a friend help me pull it all apart next weekend and get the leak fixed.

While we have it apart I will paint the fan and clean up everything in the front. Might as well...

Tim Daleo
      Azusa, California
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Daleo56

Anyone know what those two notches are on the cylinders in picture one?
        Those are just notches that were cast into the pistons.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Daleo56
          Experienced
          • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
          Those are just notches that were cast into the pistons.

John
          Thank you!

Next question please, I have a split for the wiper/washer vac line at the firewall. I removed my washer system. Can I plug the smaller one or what is the second one for?

Tim Daleo
          Azusa, California

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The smaller one should go to the windshield washer switch. It needs to be plugged if you removed the washer system.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

You'll be surprised how much that old cast iron intake weighs.
              I finally ended up using an engine hoist to pull up with and a dead blow hammer to break it loose. Mine was leaking at the back of the intake. Ran much better after replacing the gaskets.

I installed a PCV system on my old engine too. Never was able to capture all the blow-by even replacing all the valve stem seals etc. Still had a little smoke from the oil cap. Finally replaced the original filtered oil cap with a closed one that had a tube then ran a hose from the cap to the air filter housing. Still leaked a little because it was a metal to metal seal but best I could come up with. Soon after that the rear main seal went bad and I ended up replacing the engine with a rebuilt '63ish that has a proper PCV system.

FYI - Ford ( Motorcraft ) still makes a group 29 battery !!!!! (but I'll admit it doesn't look as cool as the old style)

Looking good at the show !!!

Eric

Comment

• Daleo56
                Experienced
                • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by DKheld
                You'll be surprised how much that old cast iron intake weighs.
                I finally ended up using an engine hoist to pull up with and a dead blow hammer to break it loose. Mine was leaking at the back of the intake. Ran much better after replacing the gaskets.

FYI - Ford ( Motorcraft ) still makes a group 29 battery !!!!! (but I'll admit it doesn't look as cool as the old style)

Looking good at the show !!!

Eric
                I wanted the biggest battery possible since the bottom of my tray is rusted. I bought a new one and painted it to match the car only to find out they weld in. Ugh.

I ordered a set of 1960 For Thunderbird intake removal tools from Amazon

Tim Daleo
                Azusa, California

Comment

• Daleo56
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 27 2014

Oh, and apparently I need to raise the engine off the motor mounts to pull the pan? Really?
                  Tim Daleo
                  Azusa, California

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Yep! Remove the starter motor and lift the engine. You may need to put the crank position on TDC, otherwise the crank throws will interfere with pan removal. Watch carefully, that you don't damage your radiator by lifting too high. If you are raising from the bottom, make sure your hood is open. I prefer lifting from the top using a cherry picker.

As said, once the pan is loose, unbolt the oil pump pickup. All this work is so much easier when the engine is on a stand. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Tim:
                      I seem to remember that some of the guys on here cut out the old battery tray and just bolted the new one in place. May be easier on the install.
                      Nyles

Comment

• DKheld
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Aug 27 2008

Yep.

That also means draining the cooling system to pull the radiator hoses loose so the engine can raise up. May want to pull the fan or keep a close eye on it.....

If your car still has the transmission cooler line clamp attached to the passenger side of the engine you'll need to keep an eye on that to make sure the lines don't bind too much.

IIRC a 2x4 block under each mount will have it high enough - plus the crank has to be rotated to the right position for the pan to clear the crank. The manual says 'Position the crankshaft so that the counter-balance will clear the pan" or something like that. You just have to look in there and see - no real position given for the crank like TDC etc

AND - getting it out is the easy part - wait until you try to put it back in without moving the gasket or hitting the nice new bead of sealant you just put on there.

But that nice low engine gives the car that distinctive low slung charm -

Eric

Comment

• Daleo56
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 27 2014

I was going to clean and replace the pan and gasket while I was doing the intake manifold. Now I am regretting even thinking of doing it
                          Tim Daleo
                          Azusa, California

Comment

• Daleo56
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 27 2014

Hello again everyone. Since the intake is coming off I am going to run hard fuel line and get everything back to stock. This the not the original carb right? I see that it may be a mid-60's replacement.

D0PF-9510-U

Mustang and Ford carbutetors. Holley 4160 series. 1967 Shelby GT500 Carburetors. 427 Galaxie carburetors. Casting Identification ID.

If it is not original I will either find the right one or just use my regular Edelbrock 1406 that I use on all of my other cars.

Tim Daleo
                            Azusa, California

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Project Snowbird - 1960 Hardtop

Tim, as I recall, a D0PF-9510-U tells you that it is a D=1970's part and the 0 tells you it is a 1970 part. If it was me, I would just put an Edelbrock 1406 on it and be done with it. I have one on my '59 and it is works great!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Aug 27 2008

Mine has the FORD 4100.
                                Looks like your rubber seal is missing from the air cleaner and it is rubbing metal against metal? Been meaning to find a new seal for my air cleaner because it's getting a little brittle. Its a square seal and will be "fun" to find the right size. You could probably get away with a slightly oversize round one. It helps to have it if you get caught in the rain - that hood scoop funnels the water right to the carb.
                                The fuel filter is also little expensive on the 4100 when you find one. No longer made - special application - screws into the 4100.

Sorry - bad pic of the carb - was just snapping the freshly painted valve covers a few years back.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎