X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckaroo
    Experienced
    • Jul 24 2013

1958 Radiator

I have a very early 1958 coupe. I needed a new radiator so I ordered one. Today I took it to my mechanic to have it installed as well as an alignment. He called me and said it did not fit. I went and looked at it and the mounting holes did not align and the transmission cooler lines are on the wrong (or different) side of the radiator that was in the car. The supplier, Bird's Nest, assured me this is the only radiator made for 58, 59 and 60 Tbirds. Is it possible the early birds had different radiators or is it more likely mine was incorrectly changed at some point in time? I want to believe the early cars were different otherwise the mounting tabs should align.

We are making it work by re-drilling the mounting holes on the radiator and adding an separate tranny cooler.

But I would like to know from the experts what is correct. We have had issues with other 58 parts not fitting this car.

The new radiator is in the front and the one that came out of the car is behind it. You can see the cooler lines on the drivers side of the old radiator.
    Attached Files
    Dena & Dennis Gorder
    1958 Coupe
    Registry # 3422
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

I wonder if someone swapped the radiator for a later model 62-63 TBird and soldered the top mounting brackets to the tanks. Just a thought.
    Nyles
    Attached Files

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Although mine is a '60 it had the smooth sided radiator originally (which could have been changed but never remember Dad having to replace it and he bought the car new).

The rib sided one that was in your car looks like the replacement I installed last year.

You never know on some early production cars though. Hope you get a more definitive answer.

My transmission cooler lines are on the passenger side.

Eric

(original in the back and replacement in the front)

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've never seen a '58 with the cooler lines on the driver side. Of course anything is possible. Instead of adding a separate trans cooler you can order new cooler lines that mount on the passenger side.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
          I've never seen a '58 with the cooler lines on the driver side. Of course anything is possible. Instead of adding a separate trans cooler you can order new cooler lines that mount on the passenger side.

John
          I will look at my 58 when I get home, I was told it was all OG when I picked it up.

Comment

• GTE427
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 9 2007

The original COM transmission cooling lines enter the passenger side of the tranny, made sense to do the same with the radiator connections to avoid crossing sides with the lines. Check the line routing and as John said previously, replace the lines as needed. If the lines do cross, most likely this was done at the front of the car near the radiator and may only require a partial rerouting of the lines.
            Ken
            1959 J Convertible
            1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Buckaroo
              Experienced
              • Jul 24 2013

Here is the latest update. They are installing the radiator and only 2 of the 4 bolt holes on the top plate match up with the new radiator. One bolt is the one on the outside on the drivers side. The other bolt is the one near the center. My top plate has only one center hole and the radiator requires 2. The hole on the outside of the passenger side does not line up. If someone replaced the radiator with a 61 to 63 radiator, could they have replaced the top plate as well? The two bolt holes nearest the grill match up. Would 61 to 63 birds have a similar top plate?

We have a large car show near here next weekend. Hopefully some Tbirds will be there so I can check out what mine should look like.
              Dena & Dennis Gorder
              1958 Coupe
              Registry # 3422

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Are you talking about the filler plate that goes between the radiator and the nose of the car. The radiator should only have three oblong holes. The center one is not really in the center but closer to the passenger side.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

As far as I know this is the original filler plate on mine.
                  Off centered hole as John describes.

Comment

• Buckaroo
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 24 2013

The transmission lines are coming out of the passenger side of the transmission so new lines will be purchased. However, the plate between the radiator and grill is different than the one shown. Maybe not different, but I seem to have an additional plate. The end holes are not slotted and the center hole is on the drivers side. So if someone replaced the radiator with one from a 61-63, would this plate also be from a 61-63? See the photo below.
                    Attached Files
                    Dena & Dennis Gorder
                    1958 Coupe
                    Registry # 3422

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

Looks like you have the correct filler plate (probably called the upper radiator support in the parts book). The radiator should go over that plate. Mine has the small holes in the plate for the screws and the oblong holes in the radiator bracket. My new radiator had larger oblong holes than the original so had to use a lock washer to keep the screw head from pulling though (yours looks pretty much the same).

That fan shroud is an add on from a Galaxie. Pretty nice though (and probably a lot safer). So maybe you had a Galaxie radiator?

edit (just realized Galaxie transmission coolers are on the drivers side of the radiator)

Eric

Comment

• Buckaroo
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 24 2013

Thank you. That makes sense. So I guess I have a Galaxy radiator if anyone wants one to repair. Thanks again for the feedback. This forum has been great.
                        Dena & Dennis Gorder
                        1958 Coupe
                        Registry # 3422

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

No problem!
                          Hope the info keeps one more Tbird on the road.
                          I'm jealous of your A/C - hope to get mine installed this summer.

BTW - just found this pic of when I was installing my radiator - you can see the holes on the new radiator bracket are a little too big and the original screws would have pulled through. I used washers but guess you could replace the screws.

Eric

PS - if you decide not to re-install that Galaxie shroud don't toss it out - think those are worth around $50 +

Comment

• Tbird1044
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jul 31 2012

I actually like the looks and safety of the Galaxie cover plate. Who knew?
                            Nyles

Comment

• Buckaroo
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 24 2013

I have re-installed the shroud. Just had to drill a different hole near the center to get it mounted. I have worked a lot with Model Ts and with them I find people used whatever parts were available and handy. I guess people do it with Thunderbirds as well.

I knew nothing about these cars until I bought this one. The rear coil springs have been removed and leaf springs added. It also, for some reason had 1959 fender ornaments on it. It is painted the 59 Turquoise, not the 58 Gulfstream. And it has a Turquoise and white interior. It will never be a "show" car but a good 20 footer. We were happy to see it made the cover of the 2014 Squarebirds Calendar.
                              Dena & Dennis Gorder
                              1958 Coupe
                              Registry # 3422

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎