X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elijahbird7
    Experienced
    • Nov 12 2013

Gear Shift Lever

The white plastic end on my shift lever gave up and broke the other day. I got a new shift lever and wonder if someone can give me directions to remove the old one and install the new one? I couldn't find anything in the shop manual.
    Is there a specific gear I should have it in when starting to remove the pin? Once the pin is removed, how is the lever removed? Is there a twist action, etc to get it out??
    I thought the white plastic may just unscrew, but after using a locking pliers on what was left on the old one, it was clear that wasn't the way they came.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Once you have the pin removed the lever should just pull out. It may help to pull the lever towards you while you try to get it out. The gear it's in really doesn't matter.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

I agree with John, but I think it is easiest to put it in N to remove the lever. Definitely pull the lever towards the steering wheel, as this will release the tab on the shift lever from the detent plate. The big rubber grommet on the shift lever makes it a bit tight for removal and reinstall. A little silicone spray or soapy water might help if you have problems.
      Nyles

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎