• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whpaul
    Experienced
    • Oct 17 2009

color ?? need Your recommendation ??

Hallo to the community,

i would appreciate to read what would be Your favorite color for Rear axle, cardan shaft ect.

I started with reconstruction my rear axle and all running gear equipment ect, on my 61 bullet nose. The car is ivory white with red leather interior.
    After reconstruction all parts should be painted nice and shiny.Now all is matte black. Maybe oxide red, or argent, or redred would be nice?? I am not sure and once it is done it will be hard to change it.
    Please assist me with Your ideas.

a happy New Year
    from Germany
    whpaul
    W.H.Paul
    with a friendly hello from good old Europe.

Hey Wolfgang,
    I myself would go with gloss black. Easy to keep clean!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Wolfgang I would agree with Richard that gloss black would be a good pick. Not only because it is easier to keep clean but would not dominate the exterior colour of your classic.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Thanks Dan,
        I totally agree. I hate to see a nice old car with a red rear end slapped under her. It totally takes away from the beauty of the car!!!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
          Thanks Dan,
          I totally agree. I hate to see a nice old car with a red rear end slapped under her. It totally takes away from the beauty of the car!!!
          Richard D. Hord
          Mental image of a baboon here....
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Hey Tom,
            Thanks! That's the best laugh I've had all day The only problem I had to think about it for a minute!!!
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

There is no other way to go. "GLOSS BLACK" is my choice as well.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                Experienced
                • Jan 5 2008

[quote=whpaul;40391]Hallo to the community,

i would appreciate to read what would be Your favorite color for Rear axle, cardan shaft ect.

I started with reconstruction my rear axle and all running gear equipment ect, on my 61 bullet nose. The car is ivory white with red leather interior.
                After reconstruction all parts should be painted nice and shiny.Now all is matte black. Maybe oxide red, or argent, or redred would be nice?? I am not sure and once it is done it will be hard to change it.
                Please assist me with Your ideas.

a happy New Year
                from Germany
                whpaul[/quote}

Removable portion of differential that driveshaft attaches to was originally red oxide, while driveshaft was natural metal. You can take the driveshaft out, sand it down to bare metal and clear-coat it to preserve its appearance, but be on the lookout for original painted markings like a stenciled part number starting C1SS- or a yellow stripe on one end. You may also find grease pencil/chalk marks on the differenetial casting, but if it's already been painted that's probably long gone.

I highly recommend you get a copy of Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.'s 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications (OFS) book at www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org if you plan on restoring back to original condition. The OFS has a wealth of information that will help you with your restoration and help you to understand what you have.
                Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• novanutcase
                  • Dec 15 2009

I guess I'm not one of those that is fond of having glossy black suspension parts. I like satin semi gloss black.

John

Comment

• texastomeh
                    Apprentice
                    • Aug 28 2007

I vote with 'nutcase - Satin Black!!

texastomeh

Comment

I also use ...

satin black on all my chassis parts. I get my paint, primer, and thinner from Catapillar. The primer is cat flat yellow which makes not missing anything on the finish coat easier. I think they call it intermediate black. It runs about $30 a gallon and is tough stuff . Should be in stock at any Cat dealer. Mike

Comment

• whpaul
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 17 2009

Thank You

Thank You for Your input, to my surprise You all have the same understanding for the right color.

Before that posting I thought about red, but I learned that this will be wrong.

Now with Your help I decided to make it dark grey metallic.

When I am ready I will post some pictures

whpaul
                        W.H.Paul

Comment

• whpaul
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 17 2009

Originally posted by whpaul
                          Thank You for Your input, to my surprise You all have the same understanding for the right color.

whpaul
                          Hallo again,

yes there is some progress in our work, I like to show You.
                          See the attached pictures for my decision of color

whpaul
                          Attached Files
                          W.H.Paul

Comment

Looks good ...

always more fun putting on clean, freshly painted parts. Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by whpaul
                              whpaul
                              Simply AMAZING! I read colors like baboon red, gloss/matte black, then the foremost authority, Alan Tast, chimed-in with the correct original Ford factory scheme.

The final choice?... None of them.

Nice paint job, but... see the pads (where the brake shoes have developed deep grooves)? All need to be filled-in with steel (welded) and smoothed with a grinder. This is far more important than paint color. Did you spray HIGH TEMPERATURE paint? If not, you may end up with a gummy mess, coming off the autobahn. Hope this helps. - Dave
                              Last edited by simplyconnected; January 22, 2010, 03:36 PM. Reason: I got fat fingers
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎