Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

What's with that "ding" in the left front nose area Anders??

-Jon in TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by tbird430
      What's with that "ding" in the left front nose area Anders??

-Jon in TX.
      It was a supprice to me as well. One of those things that came out in the flesh when I sanded down all paint. Itīs also located quite badly as there is a bracket ( well, part of the nose ) right under there, so itīs tricky to reach. I will get a lift within 4 weeks or so, (delayed two times for 10 weeks in total now) and when that arrive, the engine & tranny will go out. I need to be able to drive out for installation of the lift. Then I will cut the bracket, hammer it a bit and weld the bracket back. At the moment I work on the doors. Cleaning them up underneith and around from contact glue. One painted with Epoxi primer today They will soon go back on the car so I can start the real scary job, cutting up for "shaving the door handles".
      Iīm very happy with how the doors also have survived without any rust. There was PLENTY of mud and clay on the inside of them
      Attached Files
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

Finally got my lift
        Needed to have that delivered before I can continue as I needed to be able to drive out the car as it came. Next up is taking out the engine & tranny, before sanding down the engine bay and put epoxi on the rest of the car.
        Now, Does anyone knows what this little clips do? Itīs located in the lower rear corner of the door opening.

WoW! My 2000 post...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Anders; April 23, 2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Restifier52
          Experienced
          • Jul 26 2011

I have a small rubber bumper there. It looks like the rubber part on yours is gone.
          1960 HT
          Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Aha! Some kind of door stopper then? Could you take a pic of yours?

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Anders, it's a 'standard' bumper.
              CLICK HERE <--use the top one on the page.
              It's kinda like this one only a tiny bit taller:
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Thanks guys. Need to order

Comment

• keith
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2010

Anders,

Looks like a good place for a door popper.
                  Keith
                  Sedalia, Mo.
                  sigpic
                  CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by keith
                    Anders,

Looks like a good place for a door popper.
                    Indeed! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

Taking out the center consol and other interior parts. On the inside in a few of them, I find this sticker.
                      Arvin? Is that a name? The guy who was responsible for these parts? My car was build the 15:th of May, so it makes sence.
                      As itīs April 2013, Thoughts goes to him 55 years after he took good care of the parts in my car. He did a great job
                      I wonder what happend to Arvin in life...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Anders; April 27, 2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Back in the day, Arvin was a company that made exhaust systems and mufflers for all the big three automakers.

Today, they merged and are now called ArvinMeritor. ArvinMeritor makes trim pieces like sun roof shades, hard headliners and inner door panels. I don't know if they are still in the exhaust system business. The company is only a few miles from my house, in Troy, Michigan. I believe Meritor is in Lindesberg, Sweden.

Your sticker looks like it came from one of their exhaust pipes. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

Wow, you never disapoint anyone Dave! Thanks!
                          Now, i have these stickers ( also March 1958 ) on the inside of the center console and other metal parts with vinyl foil om them. My exhaust is something not even close to original. Would be fantastic if a normal steel exhaust survived for 55 years

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                            Experienced
                            • Mar 31 2004

I have to disagree with Dave on the dated ARVIN tags. At least 58 interior parts have these tags on each interior piece installed in the bird. Never understood the ARVIN but assumed the date was the date the part was made. Even old parts cars have these still on the interior parts At least if ARVIN made the parts and factory is in Mi. then the tags now make sense.

Good Luck
                            Fuz
                            58's&64's
                            Sun Prairie, Wi
                            tmjsong1@aol.com

I am assuming that by now the vent window frames have been identified as pot metal and welding is next to impossible.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Fuzz, Arvin has been doing business with Ford Motor company since 1921. Back then it was tire pumps.

Arvin Industries, Inc. is an international manufacturing company supplying automotive parts and related products and services in more than 100 countries. - http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/...#ixzz2SZlo1Fhr

Arvin also owns many brand names you've heard of over the years. Ever hear of Schrader valves? Arvin owns them. They made brake levers, hub caps, and bent steel tubing. In 1928 the company went public and was listed on the Chicago Stock Exchange. Arvin car and home radios were introduced in 1933. In 1940 Arvin supplied Sears, Roebuck & Co., with home radios. In '42, Arvin made a wide range of military products, including chemical and incendiary bombs, rocket-launching tubes, steel containers, fire extinguishers, anti-tank mine parts, radio communications equipment, and parts for military vehicles.

I simply gave a brief niche that Arvin had in the auto market. I should have also mentioned that Principal Subsidiaries include: Maremont Corporation; Maremont Exhaust Products, Inc.; Gabriel Ride Control Products, Inc.; AVM, Inc.; Gabriel Europe, Inc.; A.P. Mexico; Roll Coater, Inc.; Schrader Automotive, Inc.; Arvin Finance Corporation; Arvin Automotive of Canada; Arvin Industries Deutschland GmbH; Schmitz & Brill GmbH; Arvin International Holdings Inc.; Arvin International U.K. PLC; Arvin Cheswick International B.V. (Netherlands); A.P.A., S.A. (Spain); Cheswick Spain; Arvin France.

So yes, Arvin made Squarebird console components as well as many hundreds of other parts for Ford, worldwide. Ford never made ANY consoles. That's why Detroit is dying, because all those little factories went to Asia.

Sorry you disagree but these are the facts. Actually working and coming from a Ford assembly plant, I had the pleasure of seeing many thousands of parts from Ford suppliers including products you never see like windshield cleaner and etch and the urethane that holds windshields and backlites in the apertures, and Bonderite reactive conversion coatings that prepares body steel for electrocote. (Ever wonder why 'factory paint' is so much better than aftermarket?) A Thunderbird (or any car) needs ALL the components and processes. Ford suppliers made most of them (I won't get into Budd). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Aug 27 2008

Anders - this isn't a great pic (was taking it to show the shock mount) but believe it or not my car has the original exhaust!

The mufflers have been changed a few times but otherwise stock from the manifolds back to the muffler inlets.

Doubt I'll find any stickers on it though - (Oh - and no leaks!!! - in the exhaust anyhow)

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎