Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

This is a 352 showing the location of some of the engine numbers you are looking for. (intake - upper yellow circle) and (casting number - lower yellow circle)

This is the intake number on this particular engine (right in front of where the carburetor sits) 5G8 - not sure on this - maybe just the foundry number and below that is C5AE9425C - C5 - tells you it is from a 1965 model.

The lower yellow circle shows the block casting is a 352
    32 - unknown to me
    below that is 352 which means it is a 352/390/428? block

On the side of the block under where the generator is there is another block casting - the experts will have to tell you what they mean. C6ME (upside down)

And these are the numbers on the heads. They are located in the middle between the 2 middle spark plugs.
    C4AE-G meaning they came off a 1964 model car.

It's common when building an engine from spare parts that the numbers won't match as is shown in this engine. Everything works together just not how it came from the factory.

And after a little cleaning up it can look like this.........

Eric

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Good reply, Eric.

C1AE 9425-B is the recommended replacement for Squarebird FE engines. That means this part came out in 1961, so original 4-bbl Squarebird manifolds probably say, B8AE 9425-B.

9424 or 9425 means it's an intake manifold. These numbers will be on every intake casting regardless # of cylinders.

'57 T-bird Y-blocks had ECZ 9425-B manifolds. The 'B' is reserved for 4-bbl's. '57 Dual quad manifolds were ECZ 9425-C. After Ford got into racing, there were 50 different FE manifolds and heads.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Ill have to look for the engine number tomorrow but the heads are stamped 5752143 and the intake is 5751086. From what ive found on the "net" it is around 58 or 59 just dont know size. No 352 stamped on the block and 2 barrel carb???? Must have been from another 58 ford car or truck

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by vwtourbus

Ill have to look for the engine number tomorrow but the heads are stamped 5752143 and the intake is 5751086. From what ive found on the "net" it is around 58 or 59 just dont know size. No 352 stamped on the block and 2 barrel carb???? Must have been from another 58 ford car or truck
          Those are period correct. FORD was using a numerical seven character PN System that was replaced in 1960.

I wish I had that PN System details.

If the block does not have the 352 Casting I.D., it may be a later year casting. Look for the Block Casting I.D. Nos. location shown above.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by DKheld

This is a 352 showing the location of some of the engine numbers you are looking for. (intake - upper yellow circle) and (casting number - lower yellow circle)

This is the intake number on this particular engine (right in front of where the carburetor sits) 5G8 - not sure on this - maybe just the foundry number and below that is C5AE9425C - C5 - tells you it is from a 1965 model.
            Some parts may include a date code indicating when the part was manufactured. Date codes are located in various areas, and are normally comprised of 3 or 4 digits.

TYPICAL DATE CODE:

9A21

9 = Year (1949/1959/1969/1979/1989/1999) Actual year can be determined by checking the part number of that component for the decade code.

A = January

21 = 21st Day of the month

We'll say the part number prefix indicates the decade is the 1960's, so 9A21 is decoded as being built on January 21, 1969. (Yes, we checked...it was a work day.) And sometimes, the date code can be stamped in the wrong order, as in the example shown above. We're going to guess that the "79C" code should have really been "9C7" which would designate a casting date of March 7, 1959, which would be a correct date for that particular part.
            MONTH DATE CODES:

A - January
            B - February
            C - March
            D - April
            E - May
            F - June
            G - July
            H - August
            I - (not used)
            J - September
            K - October
            L - November
            M - December

Above Information Sourced From- -AUTOMOTIVE MILEPOSTS-
            The lower yellow circle shows the block casting is a 352

32 - unknown to me. Below that is 352 which means it is a 352/390/428? block
            Yes, early FE.

On the side of the block under where the generator is there is another block casting - the experts will have to tell you what they mean. C6ME (upside down)

The casting year/model is 1966.

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Now here's something interesting I didn't realize after looking for the production numbers on my original engine to post for everyone. Sorry about the pics but I was in a hurry.

So on my bone stock original engine just pulled out of the car my Dad purchased new (so I know 100% it's the engine that came in the car) - there is no 352 stamp on the end of the block - only a 15.

Here are the intake numbers ( 0F2 and C1AE9425B )

Heads ( COAE 3090 )

Block (44 - 6 - some other numbers - I'll have to get them later)

Passenger side manifold ( OE? 5751209 - not sure on all the digits - will get a better look when I have time)

Drivers side manifold ( OE13 5750?31 - not sure on the last 4 digits)

Eric

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine. Is the car a late serial number by any chance.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by jopizz

The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine. Is the car a late serial number by any chance.

John
                  The intake is either from a 61/ or is an over the counter service part. Refer to Date Code.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                    ...C1AE 9425-B is the recommended replacement for Squarebird FE engines. That means this part came out in 1961,..
                    Originally posted by jopizz
                    The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine...
                    Yep, it's in the book!
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally Posted by jopizz

The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine...

Originally posted by simplyconnected

Yep, it's in the book!
                      Originally posted by KULTULZ

The intake is either from a 61/ or is an over the counter service part. Refer to Date Code.
                      That intake is listed in the MPC as a service parts replacement for the 58/60 FE. It was not a 58/60 assembly part.

The MPC only gives service parts replacement(s), not assembly parts (although references may be made for proper ID).

The C1AE intake is not correct for a period restoration unless one could produce a shop receipt showing it had been replaced during the car's service history, and it may not be accepted then (I would think).

9424 is a SERVICE PART NO Basic Number

9425 is an ENGINEERING NO Basic Number

The 58 intake (at the least) will be identified by the then used NUMERICAL SEVEN CHARACTER CODE PN SYSTEM of the period.

The only time 9424 will be shown within/or as a CASTING ID NO is in instances where FORD bought the intakes (usually alum HP) from an outside vendor.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Now here's something interesting I didn't realize after looking for the production numbers on my original engine to post for everyone. Sorry about the pics but I was in a hurry.

So on my bone stock original engine just pulled out of the car my Dad purchased new (so I know 100% it's the engine that came in the car) - there is no 352 stamp on the end of the block - only a 15.

Here are the intake numbers ( 0F2 and C1AE9425B )

Eric
                        Have you found the block CASTING ID NOS. yet? This may be a much later block (15).

The intake shown (C1AE 9425-B) (Date Code JUN 2, 1960), is there an opening for the water temp sensor in the front coolant crossover passage?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by vwtourbus

Ok so I got some numbers off the intake- 5751086, 94x??
                          Can you post a Date Code off the intake?

5751086 is a 332 2V intake.

5751087 is a 332/352 4V intake.

Both the early 332 and 352 came thru with solids and machined combustion chambers in the heads. The changeover to the hydraulic engines was made before the 58 BIRD release.

I wonder if the early 1958 EDSEL 361 was a solid lifter engine? Always something to learn everyday.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Eric,

Do you know the build date of the car?

I am just wondering if this intake was part of a possible running production change...

This later (1961/ ) intake style deleted the water temp sensor from being located within the WP bypass hose.

Related Discussion- http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=10383

Comment

• DKheld
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Aug 27 2008

Gary - that seems the most likely scenario although it is slightly possible the engine was out of the car shortly after it was bought (I believe that was early '61). I had asked one time if they ever had any major trouble with it. Apparently it missed really bad when it had about 500 miles on it. They took it to the dealer and Mom remembered them saying they had to replace a cracked piston - haven't found any documentation of that (I've got LOTS of receipts) and my Dad had already passed away so couldn't get the scoop from him.

It is an August 60 car (25H) You can just barely see the water temp sensor hole next to the vacuum port block in that pic.

Hope you don't mid this info in your thread Russell...

Eric

Comment

• KULTULZ

Fascinating Subject

Gary - that seems the most likely scenario although it is slightly possible the engine was out of the car shortly after it was bought (I believe that was early '61). I had asked one time if they ever had any major trouble with it. Apparently it missed really bad when it had about 500 miles on it. They took it to the dealer and Mom remembered them saying they had to replace a cracked piston - haven't found any documentation of that (I've got LOTS of receipts) and my Dad had already passed away so couldn't get the scoop from him.

It is an August 60 car (25H) You can just barely see the water temp sensor hole next to the vacuum port block in that pic.

Hope you don't mid this info in your thread Russell...

Eric

Interesting. Too bad that particular service record was not kept. It is possible that the later model intake (C1AE 9424-B) was either a late production run part (the earlier intakes being exhausted for assembly and the next model year intake being cast for early 1961 assembly was used in place), or it was TSB update...or, for some reason the assembly intake was defective/damaged during that service and was replaced by this later service replacement part number.

I wish I had a source for this period TSB's.

In conclusion, without that information, it cannot be determined in that the intake is correct assembly or not...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎