X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djweaz
    Experienced
    • Apr 14 2016

Chrome option? Skirts, scoop, headlight doors and taillights Eyebrows

Seeing so many 60s with what I was told was a chrome option that included air cleaner, headlight doors, hood scoop, wheel skirts, and tail light eyebrows.

I posted a question about buying extra parts in good condition to have them chromed and was worried about the pot metal. A couple people told me to watch out because the pot metal is hard to do. While others told me that there was never a chrome option and it has been hotly debated for years about it. Some people think that it was an aftermarket item or even a dealer option. Wandering what people think here? I like the extra chrome on them especially with a fire engine red paint job it really makes chrome pop. I got a nice set of headlight doors that are chrome and look really nice on it even if they are 60 headlight doors with an extra hole on the bottom. Others said they think that it was over kill. What do you guys think?
    Rob
    1959 Thunderbird J-Code
    Tbird registry
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Rob, the Chrome Engine Dress-Up kit and Chrome Exterior Dress-Up kit were an aftermarket item. That is my understanding. You will find them listed in the 1959 Optional Equipment Listing for the 1958-1960 Squarebirds only. You do not see them listed for the 1961-1966 Tbirds. Here is the link to the Automotive Mile Posts listing for the 1959 Tbird.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html

Here is the link to the main 1959 Squarebird listing.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...lections.shtml

These items are made of pot metal, which can be difficult to be chromed. As for there not being chrome engine and exterior kits I think this information above and below will debunk this. They were available, as you can see from this listing above, but not from the factory or the dealerships, according to the VTCI Official Factory Specifications (OFS). In fact, if you were to look at the OFS, (section 7-3-3 (Eng), you will find that the VTCI does recognize these two kits and will accept them in their judging, including the chromed air scoop, which I happen to have on my '59 Tbird. They even show a picture of the chromed air scoop in the OFS. The chromed valve covers for Squarebirds are supposed to have FORD on them, but mine have THUNDERBIRD, from a Bulletbird. They were for the 352 Squarebirds only and not authorized by VTCI rules for the 430 equipped Squarebirds.

Instead of having my original pieces chromed, I went out and bought spare pieces and had them chromed. I did have problems with the air scoop, and those curved tailfin pieces being bent slightly in the chroming process, I must say, but I got them to work and install. I did NOT have any problems with the engine chrome parts, the headlight doors, or those big eyebrow parts over the tail lights. Pot metal can be flimsy stuff to work with. I think they really set off a dark colored car in particular, like red, black, or darker colors. I think even my bright "Tweety Bird" yellow looks good with them. They make them pop. Many like having them on their Squarebird and others don't. It is a matter of personal like.

Here are some pix of my chrome dress up parts. There were taken shortly after I had her repainted and added the kits. Now the trunk is full of trophies... I no longer have her judged. I just put her on show these days. As you can see, mine is highly customized inside and out according to my design specifications and liking...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; February 26, 2018, 01:06 AM. Reason: Additional information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Djweaz
      Experienced
      • Apr 14 2016

Just noticed on this that you have AC, and your power brakes aren’t under the dash. Didn’t know that you could do this,but I see you can now. A small booster is the trick. That means that’s something else to work towards. Gets hot here in Tennessee.
      Rob
      1959 Thunderbird J-Code
      Tbird registry

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I see, like me, you have not gotten to bed yet either! lol.. Yes, I added the dual MBM dual MC/8" dual power booster and disc brakes, as did Howard Prout at the same time, did his. I also have the Kelsey-Hayes system under the dash, as he did, but we just left it intact. If you have AC, as I do, you will have to either make a mounting bracket or buy the ABS (as I recall) kit that comes with the appropriate mounting bracket to force it to clear that AC plenum box. I can give you more information when you get to that point. I will respond further to your PM's tomorrow.. G/Nite, Mate!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎