Disc brake conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc brake conversion

Hello All,

I'm new here and I'm restoring a '59 convertible.

Has anyone on the forum completed a disc brake conversion on their bird using the spindles from the late 70's Ford Granada?

I would like to do this conversion if it's safe.

Thanks, John
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Do a search.
    Endless posts on this.
    I did the Stainless Steel Brake Corp kit.
    HUGE PITA !!!!!
    Lot's more available now.
    The Granada kit will work. Make SURE it's a V8
    Granada so they're 11" rotors. DON'T use 10"
    rotors.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

John, did you buy any parts yet? There are two ways to get disk brakes. Depending on how much you spend on Granada spindles, you may be better off with Scarebird brackets that bolt onto your OEM spindles.

In other words, if you can get Granada spindles cheap, like under $200 for both, go that route. If not, the Scarebird brackets are far easier because you don't separate any joints so, no need to alter your front end alignment.

An important question is, do you have an original booster under your hood? Let us know. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

I converted mine about 11 years ago using Granada spindles.

Biggest issue using the Granada spindles is alignment - it takes a good shop a few tries to make the car feel right. One of these days I'll get my car to an alignment shop and post the specs so folks doing this conversion will at least have a starting point.

Changing the spindles is the EASY part. It's splitting the lines, upgrading the master cyl, adding a proportioning or combination valve, making provisions for the brake light switch (either fluid or electric conversion) choosing the right booster (depends on factory A/C or not) and modifying the bottom hole on the Granada spindles to accept the Tbird ball joint that will take time.

Don't let all that seem impossible - It's much easier now than 11 years ago but still one of the best modifications you can make to these heavy cars if it's done right.

The Scarebird brackets are easier by far. No mods to the spindle, uses the original spindle and standard Tbird alignment specs (or a slight change for radial tires).

Mine has an annoying habit of pushing the backing plate into the rotor in a sharp turn at speeds above 20 mph. There is another member that is using Lincoln Versailles spindles that may solve that problem and the bottom hole is the right size - we'll see when he gets it finished.

These are a few of the big discussions but there are plenty more - as John mentions - just search on Disc's or Disc Brakes.

Eric

This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

This is my conversion

edit - yeah - the short version - what Dave said....

Oh and - used to come to West Jefferson Ohio quit a bit. My Uncle ran a rock quarry around there somewhere. Lots of fun when I was a kid.
        Last edited by DKheld; September 4, 2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• cubbear
          Experienced
          • Nov 29 2008

disk brakes

put new parts in drum brakes save a lot of time and money

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Do you want solid surface or cross drilled? Single piston or four? Natural finish, black, red, or polished?

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected
              John, did you buy any parts yet? There are two ways to get disk brakes. Depending on how much you spend on Granada spindles, you may be better off with Scarebird brackets that bolt onto your OEM spindles.

In other words, if you can get Granada spindles cheap, like under $200 for both, go that route. If not, the Scarebird brackets are far easier because you don't separate any joints so, no need to alter your front end alignment.

An important question is, do you have an original booster under your hood? Let us know. - Dave
              I haven't bought spindles yet. I've watched a couple of spindle auctions on Ebay, but without more info I didn't bid on them. They're in the $150-300 per pair range lately.
              The Granada spindles seem to work well on Mustangs because they are always mentioned in the auctions.
              I've seen the Scarebird brackets before, but I didn't know how well they worked. They look a bit light weight, and I want to make sure whatever I do is safe for my passengers, other drivers, and the Tbird as well.
              I wondered if there is a kit that includes everything needed.

John

Comment

Originally posted by DKheld
                I converted mine about 11 years ago using Granada spindles.

Biggest issue using the Granada spindles is alignment - it takes a good shop a few tries to make the car feel right. One of these days I'll get my car to an alignment shop and post the specs so folks doing this conversion will at least have a starting point.

Changing the spindles is the EASY part. It's splitting the lines, upgrading the master cyl, adding a proportioning or combination valve, making provisions for the brake light switch (either fluid or electric conversion) choosing the right booster (depends on factory A/C or not) and modifying the bottom hole on the Granada spindles to accept the Tbird ball joint that will take time.

Don't let all that seem impossible - It's much easier now than 11 years ago but still one of the best modifications you can make to these heavy cars if it's done right.

The Scarebird brackets are easier by far. No mods to the spindle, uses the original spindle and standard Tbird alignment specs (or a slight change for radial tires).

Mine has an annoying habit of pushing the backing plate into the rotor in a sharp turn at speeds above 20 mph. There is another member that is using Lincoln Versailles spindles that may solve that problem and the bottom hole is the right size - we'll see when he gets it finished.

These are a few of the big discussions but there are plenty more - as John mentions - just search on Disc's or Disc Brakes.

Eric

This is my conversion

edit - yeah - the short version - what Dave said....

Oh and - used to come to West Jefferson Ohio quit a bit. My Uncle ran a rock quarry around there somewhere. Lots of fun when I was a kid.
                Thanks for all the info, Eric. You're conversion looks great.
                John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 6gunn
                  I haven't bought spindles yet..
                  Then your options are open. Like Eric said, you will need to open the bottom ball joint holes to match your Squarebird ball joints. Depending on what wheels you buy, you may need to turn down the snouts on the rotors, too.

I use both systems and am equally happy with them but you need to know, if you do the Scarebird system, all parts are bolt-on, no machining, no geometry change and you get to use OEM Squarebird bearings (races, seals, dust caps) in Mustang rotors. Granada bearings are different size... just so you know.

You didn't mention whether you have a booster under your hood or not. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Sherman
                    Experienced
                    • Aug 22 2009

Hello, I completed this exact project last month. I purchased a kit for about a grand and although I did have some bumps in the road with the company, in the end everything came together and the stopping power has dramatically improved. Moreover, drive-ability is by far much better. In addition to this, the double piston M/C upgrade is much safer option then the original.

In 2006 I restored the car and simply rebuilt the drum brakes. I wish I would have upgraded back then.

The kit I purchased this summer worked with 14" K/H wheels and an A/C plenum. It has a 8" booster, 11" rotors and single piston calipers. It required no alignment and other than waiting for the correct parts to arrive I could have finished the job in about 2-3 days.

Just my two cents: Do the upgrade now and you'll enjoy driving the car more.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Whose kit did you use or where did you get the parts? There are so many options that have been made available.
                      Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Disc brake conversion

Nyles, you are a Paid Member. If you have not looked in the Member Concerence section of this Forum, go down to it and check out all the information about dual MC/2 stage power boosters/disc brake conversions.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

Yes, please don't turn this into another 15 page thread on a front disc brake conversion. LOL!!
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• DKheld
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Aug 27 2008

Heh - Sherman's post made me laugh (and cry).

When I did my conversion years ago my total cost was about $1100 so not much change there.

(that's if you don't count the '77 Tbird spindles the guy sold me for $700 and told me they would work - dude wouldn't give me a refund - I did recover $300 when I sold them to a Galaxie owner doing a conversion 3-4 years ago)

It took me almost a year to find the right parts and make it safe - folks are doing them in a weekend now.

Eric

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Even still Eric, you were a pioneer in this monumental and very important task of retrofitting inferior Squarebird drum to disk brakes. All of us who came after, owe you big time for the mountains of experience and the cautions you imparted. I don't know of another site that gives this information at any price.

So SURE, we take your lead, victories and failures, to successfully accomplish disk brakes. It's easy and cheap, now... thanks to you. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎