X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Got my restored plate back

I finally got back my restored plates from Darryl's in Pennsylvania. He did a great job fixing the plate. It had some bends and was mangled on the bottom edge. They restoration price was $40, plus $25 for the excess damage on the bottom, plus $6 shipping. The price was quite reasonable and the restoration superb. In fact the plate is better than new. The other plate that I thought was near mint had bubbles, runs, wrinkles and smears that appear original. After all, prisoners not artists made the plate. On top of that, in 42 years the paint has faded, so the original now looks quite horrible next to the restoration. I think I will send that one back now to have it restored.

The only problem I have with Darryl is that he takes a very long time. He received both my plates in December 28, 2001. I did not get the plates back until today. I can't criticize his work though. I have seen some of his other plate restoration on cars my friends have. No one does a better job.

I am so happy that I can finally mount these plates on my 1960 Golde Top. It has been registered with these plates for over a year. I had to make sure the number was available prior to sending them for restoration. All summer I drove around with some old plates I had that did not match the registration. Luckily the authorities never noticed that.

Darryl's site is at http://www.darrylsplates.com/index.html .

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top

Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • Rockin Kev
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

RE: Got my restored plate back

Alex
    Just out of interest i have just ordered a private plate for my Golde Top from D.V.L.A. here in Swansea England. You can purchase them for £250.00 and you have a selection of first letter you can pick then two numbers and three random letters of your choice. So as it was or near Christmas my Rachel has ordered for me T60 BRD So i think this will finish the car off nicely. At the moment it has an age related plate of JAS 821 its ok but i like Rock n Roll not Jazz but each to their own. And those new plates for your Bird look very nice.
    Kevin.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

RE: Got my restored plate back

Kevin,

Congratulations on your personalized plate.

He in New York as in most states, personalized plates are relatively cheap. I pay $50 a year extra. The only problem is getting what you want, since there are so many of them, most of the good combinations are already taken.

On my 1959 Hardtop I was lucky enough to get "CHARMING." I requested this plate in the mid 1980's. It is inspired by one of my favorite groups - The Smiths, an English alternative rock group. It is named after one of their songs - "This Charming Man." One of the lines in the song goes, "When in this charming car, this charming man..." I had license plate frames made up with "When in this...car" and "This...man." Few in the states are familiar with the music of the Smiths, so rarely over the years has someone walked up to me and told me that he/she knows what the plate refers to. Most probably think to themselves that I am vain. The lyrics of the song describe a man that is anything but vain.

The best part of the plate is that there was a version of "This Charming Man" that was called the New York version. It is fortuitous that I manage to acquire this plate combination.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢