No announcement yet.

Untouched 1955 Ford T-Bird Garage Find

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this car worth $20K, seems like a lot of work to restore it.

From the article:
    The car seems to have been cared for extensively, despite being the every-day ride of the unknown lady for decades, before it was put away. Aside from the shabby finish and some paint bubbling, it is, as the Craigslist seller says, “a perfect candidate for an easy restoration.”

19 pictures and and details

• simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I never met a total restoration that was easy or cheap.
    Do you only replace half the bearings or half the rings?
    Do you only paint part of the car?
    Do you replace half the carpet or seat covers?

Any car that is fifty years old has materials from that period (which weren't very good compared to today's polymers) but the steel was twice as heavy.

1955 Fords had six volt, POSITIVE ground systems. Y-Blocks have their own issues, mainly with the oiling system.

Now the question becomes, do I keep it pure stock and park it in a garage? Or, do I molest the car and make it into something I can safely drive on today's roads, among modern traffic..? (Or, are we going to call, "Pimp my Ride"?)

The level of 'enjoyment' is subjective as each individual has his own standard. Personally, I wouldn't drive it or put my family in it, in pure stock condition.

I think you are wise to sell it as 'untouched' or 'unrestored'. You will get the most return on your money. Call Leno and ask if he needs another '55. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

There are plenty of "restored" cars to choose from out there.

Very seldom do you run across "real" original cars.

I've seen quite a few unrestored original cars bring as much as a nice restored driver.

JMHO.....

Eric

Comment

• paul274854
        Apprentice
        • Mar 10 2011

# 1, it impossible to value a car just by looking at three pictures.

The proof is in examining it in detail. Obviously, it has been sitting for a while, which probably means a new brake system, a new fuel system (with carb rebuild) at the least. How about the underside - rust? An everyday car usually means rust, even in Arizona or California.

Owners descriptions usually can't be relied on. "Easy Restoration" is subjective.

From the looks of the engine compartment, the car wasn't especially cared for.
        Midland Park, NJ
        56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

If you click on the link at the end of that post you will find 19 more pictures to look at.....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I can't agree more with Eric and Paul, both raise profound truths. I err on the side of caution with the old Latin phrase, Caveat emptor or "Let the buyer beware".

I would expect a sixty year old car to be used at least during some chunk of time in its life. But... this car, unlike Squarebirds, has a full frame under it. That means it can be separated and restored 'right and proper' like, on a trunion (some call them rotisseries).
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Is it better not to restore this car fully? would it have more value in original condition.

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

IF I had the dough to spare I would buy it, do the minimum to get it safe and roadworthy and just plain drive it.
                And fix things that 'conk out' as they happened.

If it wasn't thrashed it should go on for a long time like that.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• paul274854
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 10 2011

Ok - I missed the other pictures. But nothing in them changed my mind. The other pictures show almost nothing new,. No pictures of the sides of the car (quarters and rockers except for one rear quarter) and no underneath shots, where the bad stuff is liable to be.

Originally posted by YellowRose
                  If you click on the link at the end of that post you will find 19 more pictures to look at.....
                  Midland Park, NJ
                  56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Dec 23 2008

I wonder what happened to this car and the original poster??

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎